Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dodged a bullet, kind of

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Dodged a bullet, kind of

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 08:46 AM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Dodged a bullet, kind of

Was scheduled to run in a charity 5k today, but rescheduled due to thunderstorms.

Now I have three weeks to train. Mind you, I have no problem getting on a bike for a few hours, but running? No thanks. Bad feet and ankles. ANyone else do any light running?
Old 04-12-19, 10:21 AM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been doing light running ( now can run about 45 minutes ) since mid March . I found out very quickly there is no down time even on flat / down hill .
Old 04-12-19, 10:33 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
I used to run fairly regularly then arthritis in my left knee flared up last spring and just sitting, driving, sleeping were painful. Finally got physical therapy which got rid of the pain, yay! With my therapist's blessing I now do some running intervals 1-2 times a week as they help with the cardiovascular conditioning that I need for hills. I'm a flatlander (western suburbs of Chicago).

I count my running in terms of minutes of intervals these days. I did 4 minutes worth this morning. I have a 5K on Sunday that I will approach as a walk/run.

ETA: biking doesn't bother my knee at all. I rode 431+ miles over the course of 5 days on vacation and had zero issues with my knee.
Old 04-12-19, 10:37 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I play soccer in a coed rec league once a week. It's basically an hour of intervals. Jog jog full gas jog jog jog full gas. The first time I played (on a Friday night) I was still sore Monday morning. It got better though.
Old 04-12-19, 11:20 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I run a bit in the winter, no more than 45', in a somewhat hilly area near my place. It's very important to get into it gently if you haven't run in a long time. 100 paces jogging, 100 walking is a good start, only 15'. Gradually increase time and percentage of time running. Since I do other things like bike and gym, I only ran once a week, which was enough to gradually improve. Definitely do not do a 5k without running that far in training. I also advise a somewhat hilly area. Also don't run like an gazelle. Use a shuffle stride, high cadence. Google "shuffle stride running." Low impact is good.
Old 04-12-19, 12:06 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18352 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I ran a couple of marathons in the past.

Whew, time flies... probably the last one in the late 90's, so 20 years ago.

I keep meaning to start running a bit more, but haven't found the motivation. With riding my bike, my knees are better than they've been in over a decade, so perhaps some light running (moderate impact) would be good to augment my exercise routines.

I've run about 2 miles occasionally, but a 5K would certainly be pushing it, without doing a bit of walking too.
Old 04-12-19, 12:07 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I play soccer in a coed rec league once a week. It's basically an hour of intervals. Jog jog full gas jog jog jog full gas. The first time I played (on a Friday night) I was still sore Monday morning. It got better though.
I raced a 10k once where a guy kept passing me really fast and then I'd pass him while he walked. This happened six or eight times and I asked, Sure enough, he played soccer.

-Tim-
Old 04-12-19, 12:14 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I worked on cruise ships for 16 years and was a runner as I was starved for some kind of exercise (can't stand "the gym"). Once I settled in on land I ran but I think the slanted sidewalks/driveways in my neighborhood messed up one of my knees so I stopped.

I live in a more secluded area now so maybe I'll try again, on the street or at a park. I do miss it. 30-45 minutes was about as much as I could handle. More time efficient than a 2+ hour bike ride.
Old 04-12-19, 12:32 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Hills and mountains around so I hike and practice some striding. Trails start a couple of blocks away and getting there can be a downhill trot + 'uphill walking-backwards' sets on the return home.
Old 04-12-19, 02:40 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I have run now for 41 years and still at but very slow these days. I think I have done 12 marathons but last one in 1998. I did manage to get to at 3:06 for a PR. I manage to keep running now about 30-40 miles a week but very slow 10 to 11 minute miles. I seem to not be able to stride correctly like I am off balance it has been going on for 10 years. However on the bike I am fine and frankly I do think the cardio for running can allow much better training than the bike alone. The problem runners get into when they go to cycling is they need to work on riding skills and technique. I find if I am not riding a lot because I it is winter and I am running I need some time to adjust. Getting up out of the saddle to pedal can be awkward at first after a layoff.

Finally on another topic. I run on the treadmill in winter a lot but now I cannot seem to get up an run on the treadmill. I fell a few times tripping and now I am sort of freaked out and cannot manage to break into a running form on the treadmill. Maybe after 41 years my legs are just done...…….but they don't hurt just bad balance.
Old 04-12-19, 02:50 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by frogbiscuit
Anyone else do any light running?
I only ran back when I played soccer. I quit playing at age 32 due to ankle and knee injuries. I quit running at the same time.

That's about the time bicycles came back into my life, to replace running.
Old 04-15-19, 06:17 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I love to run. 35 plus years. Really slowed down after 60. I still race but much less than years past. Never had a major run injury, at least not that I could use as an excuse to not run. Riding just lets me go farther faster and longer. Indoor trainer riding in winter is much more enjoyable than the dreaded treadmill.
Old 04-15-19, 06:43 PM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I haven't had anything chase me in years, which is the only real reason to run. So no, I have not done any running lately.
Old 04-16-19, 03:33 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by frogbiscuit
Was scheduled to run in a charity 5k today, but rescheduled due to thunderstorms.

Now I have three weeks to train. Mind you, I have no problem getting on a bike for a few hours, but running? No thanks. Bad feet and ankles. ANyone else do any light running?
I trained for, and ran, a half marathon in January.

Unfortunately, I hurt my right hip and lower back so I've been ordered off running for a while.

Now I row, walk, and cycle.