Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What makes you happy when commuting?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 04-22-19, 01:33 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Traffic lights that go to yellow flashing mode after midnight.
Old 04-22-19, 02:11 PM
mb2112

Bikes: Road Bike, Mountain Bike, Commuter Bike, Gravel bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glimpses of the gridlocked freeway I'm avoiding.

Greeting the crossing guards, joggers and walking groups I see every morning. Asking my co-workers how many people they smile and say hello to on their commute.
Old 04-22-19, 02:49 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
When I say "Yup" in response to my shocked coworkers after asking if I biked in this weather.

When I show my coworkers how prepared I am for any condition.
Old 04-22-19, 03:11 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 04-22-19, 03:48 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by kellichou
I love the wildlife I see--like an owl hooting as I roll through the darkness, with just moonlight and my front light. Magical.

I love the peace and quiet, the alone time as others have said. I have time to think, and to meditate.

The buzz of endorphins, of arriving to work feeling like a million bucks. And the wonderful early morning outdoor smells.
All of this.

Had a long rural commute for over a decade. I loved the wildlife. I loved riding in the dark -- when there is no ambient lighting aside from that provided by the moon and the stars, you feel like it's all yours. That absolutely never gets old.

Now that I live in Portland, I don't get to enjoy those things a fraction as much as I used to, though I occasionally encounter a coyote, deer, or someone's stray chickens. Cyclists here whine about the traffic, but it's easy riding, and there is something fun about regularly riding by literally miles of cars Though my current commute doesn't hold a candle to my old one in terms of pure fun, it's still one of my favorite times of day. Not many people can say that.
Old 04-23-19, 07:22 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Snowflakes that land on my nose and eyelashes. Actually, it's pretty nice to ride amidst snow flurries. Especially in darkness.

I really enjoy the songs of the tree frogs awakening sometime in early-to-mid March. It's happy.

I saw an owl fly low across my path on a wooded lane this morning. Any car commuters see that? I didn't think so...

Yesterday, as I prepared to return home from work, I was sitting and adjusting my gear and putting on my backpack. A pair of bald eagles were circling low then high overhead. Many co-workers walked by, heads down, preparing for their long car commutes home, never noticing. Glad I'm not them.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 04-23-19, 11:24 AM
Daniel4

The high price of gas and knowing I don't have to purchase any for my bike.
Old 04-23-19, 12:52 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
I really enjoy the changing of the seasons; much of my commute is through rural farmland and the smells of freshly mowed lawns, just-harvested alfalfa, and yes, even cows can smell oh so sweet. I love seeing the peaches ripen on the trees, then watching the branches sag under their weight. It gets really hot in the summer here (northern Utah) but the big puffy clouds are wonderful. And nothing beats the smell of sagebrush in a summer rainstorm!
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 04-23-19, 02:56 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Waking up on the way in, de-compressing on the way home. Exercise is built into my daily routine, and it "costs" me half the time I exercise because driving the car would take up the other half. And this time of year listening to the birds, especially the last 3/4 mile, is just icing on the cake.

And convenient parking. SUV and pickup drivers fight over parking around my office, some of them end up over a quarter mile away, and I just roll up to 50' from the front door.
When I worked at Boeing, my commute was barely over 4 miles. It was 17 minutes to drive, park and walk if I got there early (before 6:30 AM) and got a decent spot. It was 17 minutes by bike as well.

If I was there after 7 am, add a few minutes to the drive because 1) looking for a spot and 2) walking much further.
Old 04-23-19, 05:46 PM
blackieoneshot 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Voyager SP, 1984 Lotus Legend Compe, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, 1973 Monark, 2015 Surly Pacer

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts
Experiencing changes of season, seeing deer, coyote, and fox, and the light after a springtime rainstorm.
Old 04-23-19, 10:24 PM
Daniel4

Good thread. Let's hope a certain someone doesn't try to hijack it.
Old 04-23-19, 11:22 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I love the fact that "I'm my own engine." In fact, I have that written on the bottom line of my Road ID bracelet.

About a year ago I posted on Facebook what I thought were the benefits of cycle commuting. Of course the only people enthusiastic about my post were other cyclists. By memory, some of the benefits I really enjoy are that I feel further connected to my community greeting other people & smelling the local smells, being green by not burning gas, getting an efficient workout twice a day and feeling refreshed when I get to work. I also like some of the interaction with drivers-- some. Of course there are drivers who lack respect for us cyclists, but when someone does give me the right of way (even if I was supposed to have it) I will give them a thank you wave. It just makes me feel good, doing that.
Old 04-24-19, 12:41 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Arriving.
Old 04-24-19, 10:33 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Sometimes taking a break from bike commuting makes me happy about bike commuting

I can't ride every day. Some days I just need my car.

But when I take a day or two off of biking to drive, when I get back on the next day I appreciate it all that much more!
Old 04-24-19, 04:43 PM
tatelabianca666

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to be at work by 6am and love having my city to myself. Bombing College Hill in Providence at 530 gives me a lot of adrenaline and keeps me sane throughout the day. When your city is bustling but also the size of a tea cup-- commuting at pre-dawn hours can be a very personal experience. You get to explore alternate routes, find diminutive streets you didn't even know existed, pick through piles of trash before anyone else. Drunk drivers and Sysco trucks be damned.

I do my best thinking of the day during those 25 minutes. Probably why I am a four season rider in New England!
Old 04-24-19, 07:26 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 973 Posts
The mere fact of being able to. My morning commute runs through NYC's Central Park from 100th street to Central Park South, then down 7th Avenue through Times Square (before the tourists arrive) where I've probably been in the background for the 'Today Show' outdoor segments many times, then east to my office across the street from the Empire State Building at 34th street and 5th Avenue. Every day I share sidewalks with people who are visiting my home on a dream trip. I'm present to and grateful for the good fortune to be here and to be healthy enough to enjoy it on two wheels.

Likes For ascherer:
Old 04-25-19, 12:32 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
days liek today were almost everything went perfect and i jumped from 130th on a segment to 47th on strava. my quest to earn that KOM is showing progress.
Old 04-25-19, 04:19 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Getting exercise and getting to work. Just the sheer efficiency of the whole thing. Two birds...
Originally Posted by mrv
smugness.
...... after thinking about it some more..... smugness. I get to be smug. It's completely the wrong reason.
As a self-described decades-long, lifestyle, year-round cyclist (mainly commuting nowadays) I have enjoyed many moments of happiness as described above, outweighing those not so much.

In an overarching consideration of my experience, apropos to the above two quotes, I posted to this Car Free Living Forum, “What's awesome about Living Car Free”:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...My major motivation to ride is not sociopolitical, or environmental, but physical. However, a useful and enjoyable side benefit, it enhances my reputation.
My cycling reputation, mundane as my cycling might be to the hard-core cyclists, is always a source of amusement and conversation with my friends and acquaintances; e.g. in bad weather, “You didn’t ride your bike today, did you?,” or at fancy social events, “Did you ride your bike here?.” Always asked with amusement and respect

One of the nicest compliments I have received at work is that I am credible, and I think my cycling reputation probably supports that image.
Originally Posted by Ekdog
...I don't understand your comments about reputation. Why is that important and who are the people you want to enjoy a good reputation with?
...I have used that quote about reputation on several threads, including this one on the Commuting Forum, Coworkers
After over thirty years of cycle commuting, I have gotten a reputation among my co-workers, and indeed numerous other people in the organization.

When the news of my cycling accident on a Friday night made the TV news, many people have told me that even though no name was mentioned, they knew it was me. I got a lot of cards and support afterwards, and on returning to work…

My relationships at work are certainly enhanced by my cycling reputation
… Later this morning, about 11:00 AM, I got a call from Cape Cod from an old acquaintance about a business matter. As is my reputation as a Hardcore Cyclist, he casually asked me if I rode in today.

The snowstorm had already begun down there. When I replied "Yes," he said “You're my Hero.."
I don't cycle (or live Car Lite) to enhance my reputation, but it is awesome and distinctive...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-29-19 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-25-19, 11:36 AM
Roccorides

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge always gives me a rush. There are annoying aspects: the cars are noisy, it can be windy and cold, and if you're on the pedestrian side between about 10 am and 3:30 (when the west side opens up to bicycles), you have to be extremely wary of oblivious walkers. But it's an amazing view to take in, and on a bike you have time to enjoy it.
Old 04-25-19, 11:56 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Roccorides
Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge always gives me a rush. There are annoying aspects: the cars are noisy, it can be windy and cold, and if you're on the pedestrian side between about 10 am and 3:30 (when the west side opens up to bicycles), you have to be extremely wary of oblivious walkers. But it's an amazing view to take in, and on a bike you have time to enjoy it.
That'd be cool. I'd ride that!

Do they still charge you a lot of ride a bike over the bridge?
Old 04-25-19, 12:25 PM
Roccorides

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
That'd be cool. I'd ride that!

Do they still charge you a lot of ride a bike over the bridge?
It's free. I'm not aware that bicyclists and pedestrians have ever had to pay.
Old 04-25-19, 12:35 PM
skou

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fresh air and it's free cardio!
Old 04-25-19, 01:16 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Good thread. Let's hope a certain someone doesn't try to hijack it.
I know! I mean you wouldn't want R-
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Arriving.
Oh. There goes the neighborhood
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 04-25-19, 01:36 PM
Kedish

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I start out at 3.30 in the morning, the air is cold and crisp. Knowing light that my headlight gives off is generated strait from me. I have a hill at the end of my commute and when I get to the top I feel great and I know when I go home, I get to ride back down it.
Old 04-25-19, 01:43 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
More biking = better sleep quality = less tired when I wake up = better mood.
Likes For jade408:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.