Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What do you guys think about the Schwinn Kempo?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 06-15-19, 10:11 AM
Jerseydevil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a Schwinn Kempo and so far I like it. I don't race or anything so I don't feel the need to buy a $500+ bike. What are some pros and cons of this bike? What are some cheap upgrades I could do to this bike?

Where do you guys usually buy bike parts? For now I just need water bottle holders and maybe I'll get some saddle bags in the future or just a cargo net so I can keep water in. I usually do 5-15 miles whenever im out on my bike. Mainly just as a workout.
Old 06-15-19, 02:02 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
For $230, that's not a bad bike, although I'm not so sure about the way Schwinn puts their spokes on the wheels. I just don't know how good those wheels are with that kind of design. If, the people whom put it together for you, did it properly, it should be a decent bike Some WalMarts are known for only putting the bikes together half properly, so you may want to be sure everything is working properly.

But I do have to laugh at WalMarts online description of this bike.

- "rigid front suspension fork" It's a rigid fork, why did they put a suspension in description! Egads WalMart!
- "Schwinn aluminum step-thru fitness frame" - That's not a step through frame....

Oh well, if WalMart did not have the parts you are looking for with water bottle holders and saddle bags, any bike shop, Amazon or other WalMarts should have these. You may want to get a multi tool, chain lube and tire levels to go into the seat bag in case you need them. All of which I believe WalMart has. Also consider Helmet, tire pump, and you should be good to go.

You will need to figure out what upgrades you want in the future, like a possible new saddle or grips if you find them uncomfortable.

Happy Riding!

Last edited by travbikeman; 06-15-19 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-15-19, 06:21 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Walmart sells a few items from a company called 50 Strong, and I highly recommend them.

https://be50strong.com/collections/bike-accessories

Their basic water bottle holder is a fantastic value -- 5 bucks each for very durable, but light weight, plastic cages. I used to buy them when Walmart sold them in singles, and they may still have them that way. They're sold by the pair on the 50 Strong website. They used to have tire levers as well (50 Strong), but I don't see them on the website. I have two pairs of them, and I've changed a lot of tires with them.

I have no affiliation with this company. Just a happy user of their products (made in America).
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 09-15-19, 09:09 PM
Cpaige304

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been looking at this bike. I know it’s a Walmart bike but like you I’m not racing or anything competitive just want to ride a rail to trail or ride to work. I’m wondering if you still like it since it’s been 3 months or so
Old 09-15-19, 09:13 PM
Jerseydevil

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like the bike but I haven't been riding lately because it's just way too hot in the south. I had to mess with the gears and of course they aren't smooth like they would be with a $500+ bike but I just need something that works. The main thing in mind while buying a bike was Am I going to use it or will it just sit? When I was using it, I used it for hours at a time and loved it. Mainly used it on the road

Originally Posted by Cpaige304
I’m wondering if you still like it since it’s been 3 months or so
Old 09-16-19, 09:33 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 222 Posts
Gotta love the Walmart "Bike Size Guide." Just figure out how tall you are and use the "Bike Size Guide" to select a bike with a wheel size appropriate for your height. Why waste money on a professional bike fit?
Old 09-19-19, 08:38 PM
Unapomer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I bought one in May when Walmart had a price "rollback" on the Kempo for $189 and free two day delivery.
Like all big box bikes, it's best to assemble yourself and lube and adjust all bearings.
I upgraded the bottom bracket to a Shimano BB-UN55 cartridge bearing unit, put a Chinese 22-32-44 crankset on, a set of better grade pedals, and a more comfortable seat. Altogether I have about $240 invested.
I average 100 miles a week, bought the bike in early May, 2019. The "best bang for the buck bike" I've ever bought! Of course, YMMV
Likes For Unapomer:
Old 12-01-19, 02:13 PM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 52 Posts
I just ordered this bike this morning for my wife! Ill update in a few days/weeks with some notes!
Old 12-01-19, 08:12 PM
Unapomer

Originally Posted by sirjag
I just ordered this bike this morning for my wife! Ill update in a few days/weeks with some notes!
Be sure to check all bearings for lube and adjustment before riding, pedals too. Also, clean the brake rotors before your first use.
Old 12-03-19, 11:01 AM
sirjag

Yep bike came in today. Petals were garbage, replacing first. Rotors were not aligned and def needed cleaning (some residue remained from production...glue of some sort). Def going to be a fair weather bike as rust will be a major concern with exposed cables all around. RD and FD both look good and required only slight adjustment. Index shifting is good, feedback is good. Drive train is pretty quiet as well.

Looking forward to first outing with wifey! Ill keep yall posted.
Old 12-04-19, 07:34 PM
cyclesoflife08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone who purchased this bike measure the length of the seat tube from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-04-19, 08:02 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Congrats. You should get a lot of enjoyment out of that ride.

Half the fun will be the process of "making it your own."

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 12-05-19, 10:13 PM
Unapomer

Originally Posted by cyclesoflife08
can someone who purchased this bike measure the length of the seat tube from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube? Thanks in advance.
19-1/8"
Old 02-26-20, 04:38 PM
cheenu

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tire width

Appreciate if someone could post tire width, (and possibly brand/model) .. wondering if it is 700x32c?
Old 02-26-20, 05:26 PM
sirjag

Originally Posted by cheenu
Appreciate if someone could post tire width, (and possibly brand/model) .. wondering if it is 700x32c?

Here ya go my friend. always willing to help out a bike forums member! I don’t post a whole lot here but I have learned a ton of information since getting into bicycling A year or so ago! Neat I get to help for once! Jag
Old 03-03-20, 02:43 PM
cheenu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Unapomer
I bought one in May when Walmart had a price "rollback" on the Kempo for $189 and free two day delivery.
Like all big box bikes, it's best to assemble yourself and lube and adjust all bearings.
I upgraded the bottom bracket to a Shimano BB-UN55 cartridge bearing unit, put a Chinese 22-32-44 crankset on, a set of better grade pedals, and a more comfortable seat. Altogether I have about $240 invested.
I average 100 miles a week, bought the bike in early May, 2019. The "best bang for the buck bike" I've ever bought! Of course, YMMV
How is the bike holding up?
How many miles you figure you put on it?
Thanks.
Old 03-03-20, 05:32 PM
Unapomer

Originally Posted by cheenu
How is the bike holding up?
How many miles you figure you put on it?
Thanks.
Over 3,000 miles now and still going strong.
The cheap Shimano Tourney derailleurs are surprisingly still functioning well. I clean and lubricate all moving parts regularly. I've had to lube the cables twice, they are cheapo's for sure.
The wheels have been without any issues, same with the brakes.
I have a rack on it and use it for all my grocery shopping (with panniers).
After riding some SoCal fire roads on it, I can say it could function as a "poor mans gravel grinder" with a few minor mods.
No complaints here, everything is holding up surprisingly well, but remember I immediately replaced the cheap bottom bracket and riveted crankset when I bought the bike.
As always, since this is a big box bike made in China, YMMV
Likes For Unapomer:
Old 04-13-20, 07:46 PM
AeroFox87

Bikes: Scwhinn Kempo 700C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance, as this is my first bike in years, and don't know much about them, But what length Bottom bracket did you get? I don't have the tools to remove mine yet and I want to go ahead and order the replacement as my crankset arms failed on my Kempo 700 this week, and am ordering a new 28/38/48 shimano tourney crankset and new pedals and I want the UN55 bracket.

Thanks,

zach
Old 04-13-20, 08:24 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Unapomer
190 + 240 = 430
One can by a new entry level Trek from a local bike store for this (or very close to this) amount of money. And it'll be already properly adjusted, ready to ride bike with pretty much all components better than this Walmart bike after all these upgrades...
Old 04-13-20, 08:29 PM
cheenu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oso Polar
190 + 240 = 430
One can by a new entry level Trek from a local bike store for this (or very close to this) amount of money. And it'll be already properly adjusted, ready to ride bike with pretty much all components better than this Walmart bike after all these upgrades...
He said $240 total (with the upgrade).
Old 04-13-20, 08:31 PM
Unapomer

Originally Posted by Oso Polar
190 + 240 = 430
You have misunderstood my post.
My TOTAL investment is $240 ($189 plus tax and upgrades= $240)
Old 04-13-20, 08:34 PM
cheenu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroFox87
Sorry for my ignorance, as this is my first bike in years, and don't know much about them, But what length Bottom bracket did you get? I don't have the tools to remove mine yet and I want to go ahead and order the replacement as my crankset arms failed on my Kempo 700 this week, and am ordering a new 28/38/48 shimano tourney crankset and new pedals and I want the UN55 bracket.

Thanks,

zach
I am researching same, and seems like spindle length depends to a certain extent on crackset.
For example, Shimano FC-M361 apparently did well with BB-UN55 68x113mm, which matches with the spec sheet on website.
(BikeForums won't let me post links, please lookup review from "Henry" on FC-M361 page in amazon, spec sheet for FC-M361 on shimano website.)
I am interested to hear from Unapomer above, who has actually done the upgrade.

Last edited by cheenu; 04-13-20 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-13-20, 08:36 PM
Unapomer

Originally Posted by AeroFox87

Thanks,

zach
o AeroFox87

Shimano BB-UN55 68mm x 113mm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-UN5...item5437a60cf4

This is the bottom bracket that gave me the correct chainline for the crankset I upgraded to.
If you are using the original crankset, this might not be the appropriate length. You would want a bottom bracket spindle the same length as the original.
Old 12-07-20, 10:24 AM
rtm904

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unapomer - Any chance you have the spindle length for the bottom bracket? I have a Schwinn Kempo that is missing its bottom bracket and I'd like to order a replacement. Without the original, I'm at a bit of a loss. I have tried to find a reference online and I have called a variety of shops, but no one is able to tell me. I am hoping I can get a replacement in and get this bike back out on the road! Thanks! Randall
Old 12-07-20, 10:33 AM
rtm904

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I just saw your reply to AeroFox87. Your comment re: spindle length being specific to the crankset seems to be my dilemma. The particular crankset I'm using seems to need to move in about 8mm (I have a 122.5mm spindle), so I am guessing I need to get a 107mm spindle to get the right chainline. I apologise for the confusion! Randall

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.