Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When do you say something?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-23-19, 11:16 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Had one today. Someone I was riding with complained that their Topeak bag was poorly designed and when you unzipped it stuff just fell out. I kindly pointed out that she had it installed upside down. Nonsense, she says. But the logo is upside down, I point out. And mine, with the plastic connector installed by Topeak is installed the right way. She won't budge, and will keep unzipping it, and watching stuff fall out.

Brutal.
Old 06-23-19, 12:05 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
(bite my tongue at the blinding ones in front of me on group rides)
Why? If it's impacting my ability to concentrate on the task at hand, it's a liability. Addressing that is quite different than the manner of unsolicited advice that the OP is talking about. Talking about it doesn't need to be a big deal or combative, a simple, "man, that light is bright and I'm having a hard time seeing around it - does it have a lower setting?" is all it should take.
Old 06-23-19, 12:42 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts
I'll give a perfect example of how this get's you in trouble. For years I had to ride with my bars level to the saddle due to blown discs in my lower back. A couple times a year I'd have some "expert" tell me my bars were too high. See what I mean about assumptions?
Old 06-23-19, 01:24 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Some years ago, I was at the velodrome at a training session. There was this gal there telling Jenny Reed how she needed to do this and that. Jenny politely, but firmly the woman to focus on her won training and not worry about what she was doing. Good advice given from a world and Olympic medalist.
Old 06-23-19, 01:59 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I'm not talking to a fellow cyclist I don't know, unless it's some kind of safety concern, or to help out if he's got a flat, etc. While I think there should be a level of comradely among cyclists If he's doing something wrong like his saddle is too low, I'll just chuckle on the inside. I don't want to be the equivalent to these Grammar Nazis on the internet when I'm riding. Maybe if it's a group ride among people who are riding ya, point these things out before you head out. But just on a random ride no. I'm out there to enjoy myself not to coach people lol. They will eventually learn on their own or their buddies will correct them.
Old 06-23-19, 02:15 PM
colnago62

Not everybody cares that they are doing something incorrect. They are having fun and it doesn’t hurt. A lot of people care only about that. Most people sing incorrectly. I don’t think that fact diminishes most people’s enjoyment of singing.
Old 06-23-19, 02:52 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I'll give a perfect example of how this get's you in trouble. For years I had to ride with my bars level to the saddle due to blown discs in my lower back. A couple times a year I'd have some "expert" tell me my bars were too high. See what I mean about assumptions?
I developed a bad case of Plantar Fasciitis and had to get rid of my cycling shoes to get rid of it. I ride in clips/straps and running shoes. Every other cyclist that crosses my path has to tell me about it.

"I notice you are using clips and straps. You could really improve your cycling with clipless pedals and cycling shoes."
"Ding, ding, ding, you've won the contest!"
"What contest is that?"
"You're the 1000th cyclist to tell me I need to go clipless."
"Do I win anything?"
"Yes, you're going to get the Cinzano treatment."
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-23-19, 04:31 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
I just yesterday received the unsolicited advice that I was breaking the RULE that must be obeyed that you must announce "ON YOUR LEFT" whenever passing another cyclist. My experience is that on weekends that will result in some percentage hearing left and moving in that direction. I try my best to get all my rides in on weekdays if possible.
Old 06-23-19, 04:53 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I developed a bad case of Plantar Fasciitis and had to get rid of my cycling shoes to get rid of it. I ride in clips/straps and running shoes. Every other cyclist that crosses my path has to tell me about it.

"I notice you are using clips and straps. You could really improve your cycling with clipless pedals and cycling shoes."
"Ding, ding, ding, you've won the contest!"
"What contest is that?"
"You're the 1000th cyclist to tell me I need to go clipless."
"Do I win anything?"
"Yes, you're going to get the Cinzano treatment."
FWIW, I will often combine a bike ride with local errands. And when I run an errand I do NOT like to clomp around in cleats or cleats with some kind of thing on them. I have found a running shoe pattern that mates reasonably well with my clipless pedals and only rarely do my feet slide around when wearing them. I admit that out of the saddle/mashing the pedals is kind of off the table in that case.

On the rare occasion that I run into a cyclist in a situation where a conversation might come up, I just tell them what the deal is.

dave

ps. I have a pair of really cheap canvas 'deck shoes' that weigh about 100 grams per shoe less than my cycling shoes plus cleat. I guess if I was a committed weight weenie I would learn to ride in those shoes
Old 06-23-19, 06:54 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Not everybody cares that they are doing something incorrect. They are having fun and it doesn’t hurt. A lot of people care only about that. Most people sing incorrectly. I don’t think that fact diminishes most people’s enjoyment of singing.
Like wearing their shirts backwards or their pants saggy or their shoe laces untied?

One day I felt strange all day. Nothing really hurt or seemed to be wrong, but when I got home that evening and prepared to take a shower, I pull off my T- shirt and notice it was right-side out and forward.

That meant that I had been wearing it inside-out and backwards all day. Thing is, with all the people I met nobody mentioned it. I can't speak for how others received advice, but in this instance, I would have welcomed it.

I have the same philosophy about people giving me things I don't want or need. I accept them all and either pass it on, or dump it. I never tell them no because one day they might give me something I really do need. In case, you're wondering, its happened on more than one occasion.
Old 06-23-19, 07:06 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I pull off my T- shirt and notice it was right-side out and forward.

That meant that I had been wearing it inside-out and backwards all day.
I'd have thought that was some kind of "fashion statement" on your part, and passed on w/o a comment having seen far more odd in my time.

-Bandera
Old 06-24-19, 05:58 AM
dmanthree

My wife, a few years ago, bought me a cycling jersey as a gift. It's a "world champion" jersey complete with the rainbow stripes. If I wear it would you say anything? Isn't that a cycling faux pas?

...just curious...
Old 06-24-19, 07:45 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Like wearing their shirts backwards or their pants saggy or their shoe laces untied?

One day I felt strange all day. Nothing really hurt or seemed to be wrong, but when I got home that evening and prepared to take a shower, I pull off my T- shirt and notice it was right-side out and forward.

That meant that I had been wearing it inside-out and backwards all day. Thing is, with all the people I met nobody mentioned it. I can't speak for how others received advice, but in this instance, I would have welcomed it.

I have the same philosophy about people giving me things I don't want or need. I accept them all and either pass it on, or dump it. I never tell them no because one day they might give me something I really do need. In case, you're wondering, its happened on more than one occasion.
I see laborers all the time wearing their shirts inside out. I asked one one time why they do it. At the end of the workday, they flip it right side out..........and have a clean looking shirt to wear in case they are stopping anywhere on the way home.
Old 06-24-19, 09:33 AM
colnago62

I see laborers all the time wearing their shirts inside out. I asked one one time why they do it. At the end of the workday, they flip it right side out..........and have a clean looking shirt to wear in case they are stopping anywhere on the way home.
I like like your approach. You asked “Why?” Sometimes there is a legitimate reason for something. I will do high cadence work where I will try to ride just below the point I start bouncing for as long as I can and not become tense. In veritably, someone will ride up and tell me that I am bouncing and I should pedal smoother.
Old 06-24-19, 09:59 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
My wife, a few years ago, bought me a cycling jersey as a gift. It's a "world champion" jersey complete with the rainbow stripes. If I wear it would you say anything? Isn't that a cycling faux pas?

...just curious...
Only in high school.
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 06-24-19, 10:29 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by colnago62
I like like your approach. You asked “Why?” Sometimes there is a legitimate reason for something. I will do high cadence work where I will try to ride just below the point I start bouncing for as long as I can and not become tense. In veritably, someone will ride up and tell me that I am bouncing and I should pedal smoother.
I never developed a taste for beer. I'd be standing in line at a convenience store and noticed (of the people that were buying beer) some would have a 6 pack and others would have 2 40s. I'd be standing there thinking what's the difference besides a few ounces? I'm thinking a 40 is going to get warm before you finish it. So, I ask a cashier why some buy 40s and the others go for a 6 pack. Her response was, "You don't have to share a 40. If you walk into a room with a 6 pack, everyone will want a beer." Mystery solved.
Old 06-24-19, 10:47 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Does anyone feel it is appropriate to give unsolicited coaching to a complete stranger that looks like they need it?

Never, unless they are a danger to others around them.
Old 06-24-19, 11:03 AM
hsuehhwa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Definitely, but only if it's related to safety.
Old 06-24-19, 11:07 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
"Excuse me, sir? Your saddle height is a safety hazard - it's so far off that it just might distract me enough to crash. Please raise it an inch and a half. Thanks."
Old 06-24-19, 11:21 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts

...just curious...
I wouldn't, in fact, I probably wouldn't even notice.

Heck I wear Football and Soccer Jerseys too. I don't know why some people get all worked up over a stupid shirt.
Old 06-24-19, 01:08 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I never developed a taste for beer. I'd be standing in line at a convenience store and noticed (of the people that were buying beer) some would have a 6 pack and others would have 2 40s. I'd be standing there thinking what's the difference besides a few ounces? I'm thinking a 40 is going to get warm before you finish it. So, I ask a cashier why some buy 40s and the others go for a 6 pack. Her response was, "You don't have to share a 40. If you walk into a room with a 6 pack, everyone will want a beer." Mystery solved.
You need a girlie drink if you drink for taste.
Old 06-24-19, 01:20 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts

...just curious...
As you are asking here, this is not unsolicited. Here are the rules...

-If you look like you could have won it, but didn't - faux pas.
-If it looks clearly as if you couldn't - whatever.

If you did in fact win it, but were somehow luck and not worthy - depends on you. My kid proudly wore one that he knew he completely deserved and doesn't another where he feels he just squeaked in.
Old 06-24-19, 04:41 PM
dmanthree

Well...

Originally Posted by Doge
As you are asking here, this is not unsolicited. Here are the rules...

-If you look like you could have won it, but didn't - faux pas.
-If it looks clearly as if you couldn't - whatever.

If you did in fact win it, but were somehow luck and not worthy - depends on you. My kid proudly wore one that he knew he completely deserved and doesn't another where he feels he just squeaked in.
Actually, if I could turn the clock back 40 years, train like hell, take some EPO, well, then.....I still wouldn't stand a chance.

;-)
Old 06-24-19, 04:50 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts

...just curious...
This was a long time ago. I played regularly in a golf group of about 16 guys. We were getting started when 'Tom' drove up and my cart partner says "looks like Tom's son is in town". I asked how would you know and he said 'Look at Tom's bag. Tom's son had bought him this really high end, kind of ostentatious leather golf bag in bright colors and it had his name engraved on it". Tom would only bring out that bag when his son was visiting (and I didn't blame him).

dave
Old 06-24-19, 05:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I just remembered I did once offer unsolicited advice to another cyclist. I suggested he re-tie his shoelace. Those things can be a menace when they get caught in the chainring. He seemed grateful.

I'm gonna stop while I'm ahead and declare victory.
Likes For canklecat:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.