Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Post your utility bike thread

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Post your utility bike thread

Old 11-19-07, 01:11 AM
abmtnbkr
Lovin the O.C.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bah, very cool rides and a very very unique background. Do you hang out there often??
Old 11-19-07, 08:30 AM
astronomerroyal

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dr.raleigh
Here is my Raleigh mtb convert. Soon I'm going to get some panniers, fenders, and a basket for it. Rite now I just strap backpacks to the sides of the rack.
Although you didn't ask for recommendations I would recommend Arkel panniers (I have had the XM45 for a few years and they are excellent) and Planet bike fenders.

Last edited by astronomerroyal; 11-20-07 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 08:16 PM
dr.raleigh
I like bikes

Bikes: Raleigh M20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where can I get Arkel panniers? Also I planned on getting Planet bike fenders.
Old 11-20-07, 04:34 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
From Arkel or some bike shops. Good quality stuff. I can also recommend the Ortlieb products too.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 11-20-07, 01:14 PM
astronomerroyal

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you type in www.panniers.com it takes you to Arkel. Although it proves nothing, if they own the www.panniers.com domain name then it certainly suggests that they are serious about panniers.

I paid quite a bit less for my XM45s than their website states. ~180USD. Although expensive, they'll literally last for decades, unlike the other 4 pairs of panniers I've had.

The attachment of the pannier on the rack is excellently designed. Very tough fabric and zippers; I use them mostly for commuting, but have taken them on a tour along the continental divide. Their dedicated rain covers are excellently made. They can hold large amounts of shopping.
Old 11-20-07, 09:38 PM
dr.raleigh
I like bikes

Bikes: Raleigh M20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks
Old 11-21-07, 09:52 AM
diff_lock2
Senior_Member2

Bikes: Beater + Nishiki Bigfoot X-29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh and it has a red bag...
Old 11-28-07, 12:57 PM
vey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My ugly bike. Based on a design by Alex Wilson of Chicago. https://bikecargo.hafd.org/node

I started with a "Forest Ranger" brand MTB type bike that I found in the trash a couple of years ago. Built by Bicycle Corporation of America in ~1994 from 4130 Chro-Moly

n addition to the EMT and numerous U-Bolts, I added the following things to the bike:
1. Wald 12" stem
2. Flat bar replaced with slight riser bar
3. Pyramid 2 legged kick stand
4. Brooks B-66 from ebay for $20 (incl. shipping)
5. 23"x14" basket from Lowe's for $20
6. Wire milk crate

I used "U" bolts throughout with wing nuts to attach the baskets.
I have several different baskets and I can change a basket to a smaller or bigger one in
less than 30 seconds by loosening the "U" bolt wing nut and sliding the basket off. The new one slides right on.

Old 11-28-07, 01:21 PM
ummbnb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For some entertaining "utility" bikes, google "Team Bad Boy" a team who rides, or used to ride?, RAGBRAI each year. In addition to their tents, clothes and other necessities for the week, they ride fully equiped with luxuries such as a wet bar, home stereo system and bbq grill just to name a few....
Old 11-29-07, 08:08 AM
oldfool
Infidel

Bikes: 1976 step thru Schwin 10 speed with fenders, home made20" long bike, '73 Puegeot P-15, several beaters, kids bikes and projects

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vey
My ugly bike. Based on a design by Alex Wilson of Chicago......................
Nothing ugly about something that works. The beauty in this is that it can be applied to many bikes for a reasonable price and minimal skills.

My question is; do you get any twisting when the baskets are loaded?
Old 11-29-07, 09:26 AM
vey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"do you get any twisting when the baskets are loaded?"

I did on the front basket because it is very wide. A 14" basket or the milk crate is no problem. If you look at the second photo, you will see a crossbar that I put on there with two larger U-Bolts set on the diagonal. Then two smaller U-Bolts attach the basket to the crossbar. The crossbar is not as wide as the basket because it doesn't have to be. It was made from one of the left-over pieces of EMT.

The two smaller U-Bolts have a wingnut on them so that they can be loosened. They slide off the ends of the crossbar and stay with the basket. The crossbar stays in place. I use it when I put my flat rack on there.

The flat rack is an old nickel plated oven rack I salvaged when I had to replace the 21" oven in my house a couple of years ago. I use it for extra large loads that won't fit inside a basket. I'm thinking about using the other piece of left-over EMT for the back. That would give me even more flexibility since I could put a rack on the back, or use two racks, or use two wide baskets, etc.

I also have two small 14" baskets. I'm thinking of how to mount those in the back without losing the quick change feature and without having them swinging into the spokes. So far, all I can think of is something stiff mounted on the basket which will strike against the frame, thus stopping the swinging motion.

I tried a galvanized steel box on the back yesterday, but it makes a loud booming noise when I go over any little bump, so I have to think about that as well. I'm open to ideas.

According to Alex, the real advantage to the design is the cantilevering from front to back. I haven't had a chance to try this feature yet. So far, I saw a very good deal at the grocery store and brought home about 55 pounds in the front basket alone and didn't have a back basket attached.

It was a little much. I had a bit of side sway, so I pulled the crossbar back a bit closer and that eliminated the sidesway problem. I had put the crossbar out a few more inches than I had to because I was making sure it didn't conflict with the front brake -- a needless worry as it turned out.

Last edited by vey; 11-29-07 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-29-07, 04:52 PM
oldfool
Infidel

Bikes: 1976 step thru Schwin 10 speed with fenders, home made20" long bike, '73 Puegeot P-15, several beaters, kids bikes and projects

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vey

I tried a galvanized steel box on the back yesterday, but it makes a loud booming noise when I go over any little bump, so I have to think about that as well. I'm open to ideas.
Stress the flat areas and that will stop the booming however it is still a sound box and will make noise unless loaded. I had a fiberglass sailboat that did that when new and empty but after I got it loaded it pretty much stopped. I finally stressed the hull on the inside with some flat stringers fiberglassed to the hull to stop the oil canning. I was told that if I just filled the hull with money and tamped it down that would stop the drumming and I believe that would have been cheaper in the long run.
You might try attaching rubber floor mat material with silicone to the inside to dampen the vibration of the flat side and bottom.
I admire the engineering and intend to copycat.
Old 11-29-07, 05:29 PM
vey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"stop the oil canning."

Thanks. I hadn't thought about it, but that's what it is. Maybe I can make up a bag of Styrofoam peanuts or bubble wrap to "load" the oil can and tamp down the noise.

If you want to copy, it's okay with me, but I have to warn you that your wife may object and it draws a lot of stares.

Added later.
Here is a little photo gallery page:
https://www.ericvey.com/Workhorse/photo_gallery.htm

Last edited by vey; 11-29-07 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Added a link to more photos
Old 11-29-07, 07:29 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
My all season girl in her winter dress.

Old 12-11-07, 11:18 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by vey
My ugly bike. Based on a design by Alex Wilson of Chicago. https://bikecargo.hafd.org/node

I started with a "Forest Ranger" brand MTB type bike that I found in the trash a couple of years ago. Built by Bicycle Corporation of America in ~1994 from 4130 Chro-Moly

n addition to the EMT and numerous U-Bolts, I added the following things to the bike:
1. Wald 12" stem
2. Flat bar replaced with slight riser bar
3. Pyramid 2 legged kick stand
4. Brooks B-66 from ebay for $20 (incl. shipping)
5. 23"x14" basket from Lowe's for $20
6. Wire milk crate

I used "U" bolts throughout with wing nuts to attach the baskets.
I have several different baskets and I can change a basket to a smaller or bigger one in
less than 30 seconds by loosening the "U" bolt wing nut and sliding the basket off. The new one slides right on.

Nice. I tried a similar method of mounting boxes to my bike, back in the late 1980's.
Let me share some pics and give an advisory:

This is a black and white photo, the bike is actually in woodlands camoflage. I used two pipes for the main supports, held with five hose clamps each. There is vertical support from the rear rack eyelets up to the pipes [tubes].

Now the safety advisory, which is important because I put 18,000+ miles on this set-up:
The front supports cracked every six thousand miles, and the fairing fell off. I had to cut the electrical wires, hide the fairing in a bush, and retrieve it with my van later.

I used aluminum tubes, one and a quarter in diameter, with a 1/8th wall thickness. What gauge of pipe are you using for tubes?

I also produced a diagram, originally in four color dot matrix, 80 dpi (dots per inch), scanned and uploaded here:

So stable, a child could ride it. My Daughter Mellisa and her friend Patricia took the Type 5 bike for a spin in front of a camera to prove how easy this bike is to ride.

The Type 6 is the same as the Type 5 , but it has a roof. The Type 5 looks strange because it has the same front as the enclosed velomobile. In this photo you can see the need for those extra supports under the rear fairing, which has a cargo box concealed inside.

You have done a good job, Vey, and you figured out how to mount the tubes to a frame which doesn't have a perfectly horizontal top tube.
Old 12-11-07, 11:25 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 74 Posts
ADVISORY (Continued):

In my experience, when a bike has a cargo box on the front, mounted to the frame, and a car "right hooks" the bike, cuts-off, or doors the bike, the bike comes out with less damage than the car.
For this reason , I always carry a copy of my automotive insurance card when I ride a bike. Remember to have the Insurance Card ready, and ask the motorist to produce his Insurance Card, if you are involved in a collision with a car. Doing so can prevent nasty things like altercations and lawsuits.
Old 12-11-07, 11:34 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Here's my Xtracycle....

That snowfall was interesting, since it alerted me to the fact that my wheels leave tracks over an inch apart when I'm riding in a straight line! I suspect I didn't dish the rear wheel correctly.

I don't know what the frame is; it's aluminum and I found it in a dumpster with little or no paint on it; I painted it with a white primer and then wrapped the whole thing with white reflective tape for a remarkably good looking, and rather tough, opalescent finish. And the reflective effect is striking.
Old 12-16-07, 04:44 PM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by scoatw
Pooka

That rack trunk is sweet, what is it.
I think you are refering to mine. It is a Sunlite Toploader 4 (I think). The bike actually looks a little different now, though the rear bag is the same:

Old 12-24-07, 01:46 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
My utility bike/commuter is an Alpine Monitor Pass MTB with an all Deore Drive train. I believe it's a first or second generation mountain bike as it has a U-Brake (Pretty silly design for going through heavy mud); however, works great over a paved road. I also mounted a set of Planetbike Freddy fenders (these are now know as the hardcore model), a Nightrider Digital Evolution handles the lighting duties up front and a Cateye Blinky on a custom fender clamp handles the rear . The stem was changed out to an adjustable road stem to provide a more upright riding position as on this vintage mountain bike the positioning was more spread out and was a real neck killer on anything over 8 miles. I also put narrower Michelin Trans world City tires 26 X1.5 on it.

Last edited by Sirrus Rider; 12-25-07 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-24-07, 06:42 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Happy Holidays.

"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 01-01-08, 11:54 AM
roughrider504

Bikes: bunch of junk

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My Trek wasn't my utility bicycle until now. A rack and pannier does the trick!

Old 01-04-08, 03:28 PM
fordfasterr
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was making a delivery using a work truck, and on the way I came across this dude... Captain Utility Biker !

This dude has a luggage case with little wheels dragging along his rig with a flat rear tire !

Old 01-07-08, 12:37 PM
Mahatma Zombie

Bikes: Custom Beach Cruiser Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here it is...

Old 01-07-08, 03:27 PM
Old_Fart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems I haven't posted my Xtracycle here. So, here you go;
Old 01-15-08, 01:23 AM
kemmer
*****es love tarck

Bikes: so many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't taken any pictures of my "basket bike" but I do have pictures of my tallbike hauling some unexpected cargo. I thought I was going to be able to buy air return vents that would fit in my messenger bag, but the dude at Home Despot told me to buy these huge ones instead. I was able to fit all four, but only just.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.