Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton (and Merc) breakage

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 10-14-08, 09:47 AM
markhr
POWERCRANK addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've read and heard a few reports of bromptons breaking (frames, forks, rear triangles and handlebars, the old u-shaped ones) especially with riders >90kg. So I thought I'd see if either anyone else has heard the same or has first hand experience.

Have you ever had a Brompton (or a Merc/Flamingo/pirate) folder (or poart of one) break?

If so what part(s) and how was the warranty response?

Please describe anything else you feel that adds background/detail to your brompton/merc/flamingo/pirate situation.

[anecdote]
Having looked at Flamingo bikes on-line and spoken to the Brompton marketing geek (they don't break....... ) it would seem Brompton's are in need of a 21st century update.

The marketing geek put his foot in it by asking "Did they jump kerbs?" which lead me to think that if you hit a London sized pothole then who knows what might happen.

To be fair the Brompton marketing geek did admit later in the conversation that he wasn't very technical (clearly) and there had been breakages (no sh*t). He was unconvinced of Merc being better quality than Brompton though.
[/anecdote]
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!

Last edited by markhr; 10-14-08 at 10:27 AM. Reason: merc =/= flamingo
Old 10-14-08, 09:58 AM
somnatash
eight spokes

Bikes: merc, brompton, roadster, cheap every day bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by markhr
[anecdote]
Having looked at Merc bikes on-line ...
Where and when was that? I was under the impression that there are no Merc bikes to look at online since Anita stopped selling them at ebay.
THX
Old 10-14-08, 10:00 AM
markhr
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by somnatash
Where and when was that? I was under the impression that there are no Merc bikes to look at online since Anita stopped selling them at ebay.
THX
https://www.flamingobike.com/
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 10-14-08, 10:08 AM
somnatash
eight spokes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah, okay you mean Flamingo, but they are not Mercs. Look - the frame (which is tubular on the merc) is different. As far as I know Merc was a brand name from Anita.

When speaking of Flamingo and rider weight >90 kg this might be interesting for you:
Originally Posted by timo888
The Flamingo that resembles the Brompton is rated for rider weight of only 80 kg*...

Regards
T

*according to an email response received from the manufacturer

Last edited by somnatash; 10-14-08 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-14-08, 10:25 AM
markhr
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bad, I'd assumed (Doh!) that Merc/Flamingo were one and the same (different frame materials but same jigs, welders, factory, etc.) That is, change to a different name to get around Brompton's lawsuits.

I'll change the first post.
Old 10-14-08, 10:29 AM
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
People seem to have a habit of making wild suppositions about Bromptons. The Brompton stell frame is actually extremely reliable and has a lifetime guarantee. Mercs are capable little clones but I wouldn't group it with a Brompton and generalise like that. Yes the Brompton needs some improvements like the gear shifters but what exactly do you mean by 21st century? I believe some inventions are timeless and one of these is the Brompton fold. Please tell me a better fold on a 16" wheel bike and above?
Old 10-14-08, 10:40 AM
timo888 

Bikes: Birdy BD-1. Change MTB. Fuji XC. Marin Four Corners

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mulleady
People seem to have a habit of making wild suppositions about Bromptons. The Brompton stell frame is actually extremely reliable and has a lifetime guarantee. Mercs are capable little clones but I wouldn't group it with a Brompton and generalise like that. Yes the Brompton needs some improvements like the gear shifters but what exactly do you mean by 21st century? I believe some inventions are timeless and one of these is the Brompton fold. Please tell me a better fold on a 16" wheel bike and above?
By 21st century, I understood the OP (quoting an "anecdote") to be alluding to the potholes...city streets in disrepair. Now, if only the bankers would ride bikes to the office, maybe then we would see all the potholes filled with molten gold.

Regards
T
Old 10-14-08, 10:56 AM
50000 Guatts of power

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my brommie 10,000 miles and I ride it like a mountain bike all the time
(curbs, cobbles)

nothing close to breaking yet. front fender flap wants to tear off but it hasn't yet
cheesy stock seat wants to crack but it stopped at 2mm.

*almost* broke the chain tensioner when it derailed under bouncy conditions on the rivet
Old 10-14-08, 11:15 AM
somnatash
eight spokes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lol, I can report 1 breakage on my 10 year old 5Spd brommi (*1998) which I purchased recently third hand. The legendary calves of short time previous owner managed to brake a gear cable for the SA-hub
Old 10-14-08, 11:15 AM
makeinu
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timo888
By 21st century, I understood the OP (quoting an "anecdote") to be alluding to the potholes...city streets in disrepair. Now, if only the bankers would ride bikes to the office, maybe then we would see all the potholes filled with molten gold.

Regards
T
Regular filling is fine. Problem is those selfish jerks driving their two ton vehicles on the roads at high speeds.
Old 10-14-08, 02:12 PM
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by somnatash
Lol, I can report 1 breakage on my 10 year old 5Spd brommi (*1998) which I purchased recently third hand. The legendary calves of short time previous owner managed to brake a gear cable for the SA-hub
Old 10-14-08, 03:44 PM
somnatash
eight spokes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mulleady
Aha and I thought it happened like this:

@ markhr, sorry for hijacking your thread with insider jokes here but the tone of your post (like "geek" and "21st century") and kind of throwing the bikes "in one pot" was provoking.

I am curious: what is the background of your question?

Having said that it would be nice to know such experiences so to answer and get back to topic: I also - like you, have read "a few" reports on broken parts of bromptons. But only a few and I have searched extensively. The best source for this kind of info is probably the bromptontalk group at yahoo. I doubt you will get many answers here. If people here had serious problems with part/frame-braking a quick forum search would show lots of threads about it, but does not. From what I recall these are the weak points:
  • the rear mudguard tend to get split since the bike is parked on it, especially when no rack protects the fender
  • old alu m-shape bar (design was improved after September 1999)
  • also improved was the hinge design, the frame now sticking inside. Below a pix from a breakage before the design improvement of the hinges (a few years ago):

• the alu parts which press the hinges can go baggy or brake and should be changed after 6000 km
  • with heavy riders seat post bending is reported, especially sturdy seatposts are available
  • the Achilles point is the rear folding hinge, after many 1000 miles it can get play and than special tools are necessary to change the parts.
  • in steel rear triangles the transversal part near the wheel is prone to rust and should better be checked now and then
  • in air travel the rear triangle parts that hold the roller wheels is in danger to be damaged and should be protected
  • the merc derailler seems to brake easy but can be exchanged for an alu one, I have never heard of a broken derailler from b.
that's what I recall.

What mulleady said about the lifetime guarantee on brompton frames is not correct. (sorry missy): Since the beginning of 2000 in line with EU-regulations the guarantee is five years for the frame and two years for the other parts. Out of europe may exist different regulations.

I own two brommis and one merc. The brommis are really sturdy and high quality bikes, the merc is "so so" (in effect a copy of an old brommi version with old hinges and such but also sturdy (alu) frame) with some crappy parts like brakes etc. When looking at details and overall appearance its a clear difference. I can not say anything about the flamingo only I doubt anyone here has one.

Last edited by somnatash; 10-14-08 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-14-08, 08:31 PM
14R 
Bromptonaut

Bikes: 1994 Diamond Back Racing Prevail ti; Miyata 914, Miyata 1000, 2017 Van Nicholas Chinook

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride my Brompton very aggressively under less than optimal conditions all over the world and all I get from time to time is a spoke in need of replacement.