Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Backpack/trunkbag or saddlebags?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-04, 06:12 PM
mikdes

Bikes: 2003 Jamis Nova - commuter setup

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With the commute I'm about to start I'm debating between a backpack/trunkbag combo or saddlebags. I'm leaning toward the former as it's most economical and I think I can get by with it, at least for now. If I do eventually opt for saddlebags, is it better to put them up front or in the rear?

Thanks!
Old 11-05-04, 06:30 PM
super-douper
Powered by PB&J

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a trunk bag for $25 and it carrys everything i need to bring to work, unless I need to take my laptop, then I use panniers. I really like not having anything on my back, i never realized how much more comfortable backpackless was.
Old 11-05-04, 06:55 PM
DanO220
SoCal Commuter

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck single/9 speed convertible, Novara Buzz beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just borrow some kid's school backpack, adjust it to fit you as best you can, chuck a bunch of clothes and what-not into it and go for a ride. You'll soon discover that backpacks suck - especially when standing to climb or sprint away from a light.

Then mount a rack on your bike and get a trunk. The nicer ones have pockets on the sides and are even expandable, so they really do hold a lot of stuff. Some trunk/rack combo's are even engineered with quick release mounting. Very nice, but not absolutely manditory.

If you really need to haul a lot of stuff - say, a change of clothes, lunch, your laptop, maybe some cold weather and/or rain gear - get panniers. Panniers are also nice in that they maintain a lower center of gravity than trunks when chock full of yer stuff. You can feel the difference if you stand when climbing.

I have both, but try and pack light enough so the trunk will suffice. If you can't afford both, get panniers. There's no law that says you can't mount just one when you're travelling light. And you won't be thrown off balance when running just one - unless you pack your bowling ball and shoes in it.

All the best. DanO
Old 11-05-04, 07:27 PM
bpave777

Bikes: Cyclocross, Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for over a year i was wearing various types of packs. every one of them eventually made me sore. either shoulders, neck or back. mind you i lug a 7 lb. laptop everyday, along with other gear. just this year i decided to get a rack and a pannier. a *huge* difference. my body feels much better. just a couple drawbacks, nothing major:

standing while climbing steep hills is more difficult.
walking the bike with one bag is difficult.

if you can fit your gear in a trunk that might be the way to go.
Old 11-05-04, 08:21 PM
tacomee

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've tried just about every setup-- panniers, trunks, backpacks, messager bags--- currently I have Performance trunk I got for my B-day. It works OK for my needs, but I don't lug around computers and ride in street clothes.

My favorite is a Wald wire basket on top of a rear rack. It's cheap and not likely to get ripped off. You can really carry a lot in then-- I like them for shopping, taking a empty day pack and filling both the pack and the basket with food for a short ride home.

For commuting I like to toss a daypack into the basket and tie it down with an old tube. If you have to lock for bike up outside or in basement, you can just take the backpack with you. Easier, quicker and cheaper than messing around with panniers.
Old 11-05-04, 08:39 PM
pdxcyclist
Cycling is Self-Therapy

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Birdy Light, Bike Friday Project Q

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted a thread like this about 9 months ago. After years of commuting with panniers, I switched to a Vaude Sienna cycling-specific backpack, and it was a great move. The bike rides much better, I can choose between bikes each morning, I carry less weight, and it does better in rain than panniers do.

Much better all the way around.
Old 11-05-04, 08:59 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can do alot with a little Each do-dad zipper, compartment adds weight. I finally ditched the trunk, and bought an REI 1lb "day pack" with one compartment with side pockets for wallet ect. Then inserting a plastic black school folder as a compartment (which also holds paperwork)

Total weight is usually 3lbs is avg. but sometimes up to 6lbs

Also fit is *really* important. There are several websites that detail how to fit a pack. The pack should not drift toward your shoulder joint. My pack has a chest strap to prevent shifting while underway.

Yes your back will be sore a little until you get used to the weight But after a week or so, it it's still sore, something's wrong.
Old 11-05-04, 11:20 PM
Paniolo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use a Carradice saddlebag and I love it. It would be hard to carry a laptop, but for a fairly basic change of clothes and assorted tools it's great. I can even add my 5 frozen lunches on top once a week. Extremely waterproof, easy to take off if you want to slim down for weekend rides, excellent weight distrubution on the seat post under the saddle. It's very balanced, has minimal air drag and is easy to climb with. Frankly I never even notice it's there.
Old 11-05-04, 11:37 PM
Alphie
Right calf grease tattoo

Bikes: '02 Alpe D'Huez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paniolo, which Carradice do you have? I currently use a handlebar bag for my change of clothes and lunch daily, but have a special request in with my S.O. for a Carradice bag as a Christmas present.
Old 11-06-04, 08:18 AM
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting topic.

I don't like a backpack because I don't like to carry the weight on my back. It reminds me of hicking not biking.

However, my current setup needs some tweaking. I have a rack and a rack bag, but it was the small rack bag and is barely big enough. The problem I have is I need more clothes for the am commute than the pm commute. It looks ugly and apt to come loose. I am thinging of getting a saddle bag, but haven't decided yet.

I will be curious to see how others solved this problem.

Huff
Old 11-06-04, 09:51 AM
mikdes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I found a very expandable messenger bag at Old Navy last night for $3.97, normally $26.50. I think I'll try that for my clothes and then just strap my regular old lunch bag to my rack and see how that goes. The way I see it, I'm out $3.97 if it doesn't work out.

Last edited by mikdes; 11-06-04 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-06-04, 11:33 AM
junioroverlord
Better than you since 83!

Bikes: Fixed Gear 79 Schwinn Sprint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a messenger bag. I mean, they're designed to be worn whilest riding a bike, I suggest one of those spiffy bags from undertheweather.com.

I haven't bought mine yet, but soon as I get money...

Personally I hate things mounted on my bike. That's why I ride fixed gear with only one brake (or rather am in the process of converting my bike to be as such), so panniers and saddlebags and racks and fenders and lights just dont happen, unless I can take them off when I'm done.

It's been a year now and the messenger bag has been my stand by.
Old 11-06-04, 12:08 PM
ht001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I played the backpack game for about 6 months and that was enough. Switched to panniers last month and what a difference. No more numbness in my lower back, and I've gained the option of stopping of for some groceries or whatever, becaue I have additional space available now. I got the Performance Trans-It Pros, and they seem great so far....they even have rain covers! I'm all for the panniers...although if you have them loaded full of stuff, it might not be a great idea to leave them outside of some businesses. (a downside, I guess, that is not the case with backpacks)
Old 11-06-04, 12:27 PM
denisegoldberg

Bikes: Peter Mooney (touring), Bike Friday Pocket Rocket (road), Bike Friday Air Glide (touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For commuting, I use a single pannier - a front pannier because it is smaller, but loaded on the back right side of the bike. I don't have much weight in there, just a change of clothes and toilet articles, so it really doesn't make a difference in the way the bike handles.
Old 11-06-04, 02:01 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by huffypuffy
However, my current setup needs some tweaking. I have a rack and a rack bag, but it was the small rack bag and is barely big enough. The problem I have is I need more clothes for the am commute than the pm commute.

Huff
The problem may be the types of clothes you are trying to carry. For example a winter ski jacket may weigh 2lbs but if you need just a long sleeve shirt for the PM commute, it's alot to haul. It takes awhile to figure out which light weight layers to carry. Also the clothes you change into for your work day can also be lighter weight (less to haul). Leaving a set of shoes at work also helps.
Old 11-06-04, 05:10 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by huffypuffy
reminds me of hicking not biking.
Is hicking when one rides in rural areas?
Old 11-07-04, 02:55 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dobber
Is hicking when one rides in rural areas?
No that's a method of rock-hopping!
Old 11-07-04, 03:16 PM
Svend Karlson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a courier/messenger bag for the first three months of my commuting. It had a waist-to-shoulder main strap and an adjustable waist strap to keep the bag in place. It was quick to pack, quick to remove and could hold quite a lot. However when packing it quite full, say with groceries, it was noticibly uncomfortable, even with no box edges poking me, and I would always choose the quickest way home rather than enjoy my ride.

I switched to panniers, after weeks of thinking about it, and tentatively buying an Arkel Urban Utility Basket after seeing them recommended by someone else on this board (had to order from the US too - I'm in UK!). My first few rides without a messenger bag, which I had gotten used to, I felt as free as a bird! Now with two Arkel panniers, I find I can buy almost double the amount of groceries and still cycle around in comfort, not really noticing the added weight, at least not on flat ground.

Unless actually planning a shopping trip, I only ever take one pannier. I have been known to fill one pannier however with food, and it does not unbalance my bike at all, at least not noticibly, unless I am not on it i.e. it is unbalanced only if I am walking the bike.
Old 11-08-04, 01:47 PM
Paniolo

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Alphie
Paniolo, which Carradice do you have? I currently use a handlebar bag for my change of clothes and lunch daily, but have a special request in with my S.O. for a Carradice bag as a Christmas present.
I have the Nelson Longflap ... though I have never used the "longflap" capability. I think you could easily pack enough in one of these for a weekend tour if you were not camping.

I don't like anything on my body ... backpack or messenger bag. But thats due to commuting in Austin TX and most of the year it is a sweat fest. It's finally cooled off, but last week we were still pushing 90* and having anything touching my body during my 45 min hilly 11 mile time trial just doesn't work

Last edited by Paniolo; 11-08-04 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-08-04, 02:28 PM
Kabloink

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I use a plain backpack that I attach to the rear rack with a motorcycle cargo net. Its simple and cheap, but it works well enough for my needs. I also have a pair of Wald folding rear baskets to handle any additional load if needed.
Old 11-08-04, 05:00 PM
mikdes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just realized I said "saddlebags" in my title line. I meant to say "panniers." I guess I'm still in the motorcycling world. I'm coming around, though!
Old 11-08-04, 05:17 PM
funbun
Doomsled

Bikes: Performer JC-70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't use a backpack because I herniated a disk several years ago. Also, backpacks cause too much sweat. I built my own set of rear pannier from square buckets and Arkel's Hooks System
Old 11-08-04, 11:55 PM
Alphie
Right calf grease tattoo

Bikes: '02 Alpe D'Huez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paniolo
I have the Nelson Longflap ... though I have never used the "longflap" capability. I think you could easily pack enough in one of these for a weekend tour if you were not camping.
Thank you! I was considering the Barley, since all I usually carry is a change of clothes and lunch. My handlebar bag is just inadequate for those needs.