Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Field of 75 dudes in Men's C at Golden Gate Park!

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-04, 07:09 PM
BlastRadius
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Holy moly. I thought field was big but 75! Plus the winner was riding a fixed gear!
I ended up having a slowdown behind a crash in the first 30 seconds, a recoverable crash when someone in front of me went down in soft sand, and 2 chain drops on the last lap! Sheesh.

Overall, it was great and so nice to race in Golden Gate Park. I hope people didn't leave it too trashed so they let us race there again.
Old 11-16-04, 08:05 PM
Woofer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He won the previous C's race by such a wide margin he need to make it harder on himself. He also had no brakes.
Old 11-16-04, 09:40 PM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
That sounds like fun. The biggest field i've been in was about 30. It's a mad dash to the woods or single track and who ever is cought up behind usually gets bumped off the sides.
Old 11-16-04, 10:04 PM
Woofer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
75 C's and about 40 other people in different groups on the course at the same time.
Old 11-17-04, 07:43 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Yea that is always a problem, where I do most of my races now they are adhering to the uscf / uci rules of no one on the course except racers. I like that a lot better. They have 1/2 hour between races for you to ride through the course a few times.
Old 11-17-04, 10:11 AM
BlastRadius
Direct Hit Not Required

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually woofer meant the Men Masters 35+ and Men Masters 45+ (48 guys) that started onto the course 30 seconds ahead of the 75 Men's C dudes. DOH!
Old 11-17-04, 03:03 PM
jeremyb

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Cervelo P3alu

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yeah i think was involved in that crash in some way. I was coming around the turn, got onto the dirt and a guy from my left and behind me, rams me and my back wheel almost forcing me down, i unclipped my foot to prevent me from going down and i dont know what happened behind me, then i hear about a crash at the same spot, i wonder if it was related?

jeremyb
Old 11-18-04, 12:32 AM
oldskoolboarder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremyb
yeah i think was involved in that crash in some way. I was coming around the turn, got onto the dirt and a guy from my left and behind me, rams me and my back wheel almost forcing me down, i unclipped my foot to prevent me from going down and i dont know what happened behind me, then i hear about a crash at the same spot, i wonder if it was related?

jeremyb
My buddy ran into a downed rider, hitting him in the back and got launched a few feet. Was that you he hit?
Old 11-18-04, 11:25 AM
jeremyb

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Cervelo P3alu

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
no i wasnt down, and didnt go down. I just got hit hard and almost lost it, but didnt fall. (Remember in the Tdf in 2003 just after Lance crashed bad with Beloki on his wheel due to the mussette bag and then lance got up and his gear jumped and he landed on his top tube? thats what happened, the guy hit me from behind hard enough that it pushed me off my saddle) maybe that guy who hit me went down and ur buddy hit him?

jeremyb
Old 11-18-04, 01:46 PM
outofthesaddle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BlastRadius - I think I was talking to you and your buddy (no logo Cannondale) while waiting for results. Can you shoot me a pm or email with his name or number? I remember that we both agreed that we were together at the end. I think that they are still trying to ID lapped riders for the final result and I think they still have a fair number of lapped riders in the C results. Thanks.
Old 11-18-04, 05:12 PM
Iffacus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
75 riders, thats a small field compared to some you get in the UK.

In the N&D league last year, my highest placing was 98th, with my worst being 154th

But with gridding for the start line based on the previous seasons performance (None for me) I had to start from the back each time
Old 11-18-04, 06:09 PM
wynne1

Bikes: Lightspeed, Vitus, Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Outofthesaddle - I've checked with my source at Pilarcitos. They are working hard on getting the results final. Needless to say, they had a huge crowd on Sunday and its taken a bit longer than usual to post results. If you have specific info on any lapped riders that are shown as not lapped send them a message (e-mail is listed under the C catagory listing) I suspect that there may be a few but i cant remember the numbers.

I think we all agree, it was a great race, at a great venue. Thanks to the Pilarcitos crew!
Old 11-18-04, 06:58 PM
oldskoolboarder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wynne1
Outofthesaddle - I've checked with my source at Pilarcitos. They are working hard on getting the results final. Needless to say, they had a huge crowd on Sunday and its taken a bit longer than usual to post results. If you have specific info on any lapped riders that are shown as not lapped send them a message (e-mail is listed under the C catagory listing) I suspect that there may be a few but i cant remember the numbers.

I think we all agree, it was a great race, at a great venue. Thanks to the Pilarcitos crew!
Can I email and "say" I wasn't lapped?
Old 11-18-04, 08:05 PM
outofthesaddle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wynne1 - I absoultely agree that the course and venue were great. It a positive thing that the problems that Pilarcitos is having are a result of a huge turn out.

I was pretty sure about where I finished (within a place or so) but the preliminary results have me 8-9 places further down. I suspect there are still a number of lapped riders that haven't been identified. It's not the end of the world but I had a decent standing in the overall which will just take a bigger hit the further down I end up.
Old 11-18-04, 09:45 PM
JimmyMack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hot race! The course had really good traction everywhere, and how could you ever forget the 3 foot tall barriers.
Old 11-18-04, 10:03 PM
BlastRadius
Direct Hit Not Required

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JimmyMack
... forget the 3 foot tall barriers.
The guys getting up off the ground?
Old 11-19-04, 01:51 AM
bpave777

Bikes: Cyclocross, Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i blew it and didn't make it. i did ride down there and check out the course late in the afternoon. it looked amazing. sounds like it was some good racing.