Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Any good advice on cycle jackets?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-05, 10:56 AM
orange man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone have any advice on good cycle jackets? I cycle to work in the mild climates of Bournemouth in the UK and hate arriving hot and sweaty. Read some good reviews about Groundeffect's Flash Gordon jacket but I am worried this will be too warm! Any suggestions?
Old 01-04-05, 01:35 PM
bsyptak
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on what the weather is like. There is no 1 cycling jacket for all types of weather. Here's what I generally wear though:

Dry and sunny:
1. Temps above 50F: short sleeve jersey and shorts
2. Temps between 40ish and 50: long sleeve jersey and (loose) tights if necessary
3. Temps below 40: long sleeve jersey, windproof jacket, loose tights, full finger gloves

Wet weather, any temp:
1. Waterproof, breatheable jacket and pants with same above. It's a certainty that if the temp is above about 40 that you will sweat under the outerwear. But that's why you should be wearing wicking cycling gear. It will move the wetness out to the jacket layer so you won't feel it.

If it's dark or overcast, I sometimes have to shift into the next warmer clothing category.

You might try an inexpensive windbreaker type of jacket (maybe one with zip off sleeves for when you warm up) or just a tightly woven heavier jersey. I find that one of my long sleeve jerseys is generally good until about 40 degrees as long as my legs and hands are warm.

Generally, if you are arriving sweaty, you are wearing too much. Starting your ride a bit cool will allow you to warm up in about 5-10 mins and not overheat.

Last edited by bsyptak; 01-04-05 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 07:51 AM
bpave777

Bikes: Cyclocross, Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
many of the jackets that advertise being made with "WindStopper" are great for cycling.

i would advise you too look at jackets designed for bicycling, since almost all are made to be breathable. Pearl Izumi makes some nice ones, and very well made, although they are a bit expensive.
Old 01-05-05, 08:04 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know any waterproof jacket that would breathe well enough to be comfortable in a warm(ish) climate. Large zippered ventilation holes may help, but for me they're just not enough. In my experience cycling-specific jackets are not any better in this sense. But they do have longer arms, longer back and other design features that make them more suitable for cycling.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 01-05-05, 09:01 AM
RainmanP
Mr. Cellophane

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't mention exact conditions. Down to mid-30s F, I don't put on a jacket or vest because while my front may be comfortable, my back will perspire. As the temps get into the 60s and below I start with arm warmers then put rectangles of inexpensive fleece fabric under my jersey, held in place by my bibs. I start with one and work up to three before it is cold enough for a jacket. Somewhere in there I add a long sleeve coolmax undershirt under the armwarmers. These combinations are extemely comfortable in the 40s and 50s - protecting the front without overheating the rear. Another nice thing is if you get warm you can just pull a layer out and stick it in a pocket. I do carry a lightweight jacket to add just in case it is cooler than I realized. BTW, my commute is about 10 miles each way. We don't have that many days with temps under 40 usually no more than a couple of nights that it gets below freezing.
Old 01-05-05, 09:44 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Bournemouth is in a sheltered and mild part of the S Coast with winter temps rarely below 10C. You may be better off with 2 jackets, a very breathable windproof and a waterproof for when it rains.
I use a Sprayway Microlite windproof, it is cheap, light, efficient and very breathable but will not keep out an arctic blast. Pertex jackets provide better windproofing for winter but are less breathable. They are still good options; check out Parrot, Freestyle, Mardale and Ron Hill. Freestyle Pertex over-trousers are highly recomended.
For a waterproof, lightweight Gortex is the benchmark. It is still not breathable enough for everyday use. You cann get cheaper materials which dont last as long, but for occasional use they are quite adaquate.
Cycling-cut jackets have a raised front and dropped tail, long arms and plenty of vents, underarm and possibly across the back. A hood is useful but not for use on the bike.
I usually use a cotton T shirt but a wickable polyester material will handle damp much better. You dont need expensive stuff, just a T shirt from Millets. Ron Hill Tracksters make good leggings.
Dont overdress. Start cold. Do a cooldown on the bike, rolling for the last part of the journey if possible.
Old 01-05-05, 12:20 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Whatever jacket you buy be very mindful of the color. Yellow, orange or white are the
most visiable/safe colors. Ride safe, mate.
Old 01-05-05, 12:38 PM
andygates
Just riding

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy / Mercian track / BOB trailer / Moulton recumbent project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the Goretex PacLites is probably the lightest proper waterproof you'll find. £120 for a wisp of techno-fabric.
Old 01-05-05, 01:00 PM
max-a-mill
aspiring dirtbag commuter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
everything above freezing (rain included) i wear one of my thrift store wool sweater collection.

i got thin ones that i will wear up to about 45F and thicker ones i have used all the way down to into the 20's.

the best part about them is that they DON'T stop wind IMHO... i sweat like a bastard and can't imagine blocking all the nice cool wind while i am working up a good sweat!

even in the rain wool is still warm. for example it was around 40 and raining lightly today, longsleeve jersey under a wool sweater and i was toasty the whole way in (maybe a little damp but warm).

i got a nice northface jacket but frankly i get nervous wearing it cause it is too expensive to risk crashing in. maybe if we get some real cold rain this year, i'll give it another shot but when i wore it last year no matter how warm or cold it was i always felt i was overheating by some point in the ride and constantly having to unzip/rezip to regulate my temp.

i don't think saying dry is an option for me while riding in the rain, so now i just focus on keeping warm instead...