Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need some details on this Atala - model, year, ANYTHING!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-14, 02:30 PM
Glyndwr

Bikes: 1989 Eddy Merckx Century Hitachi Team, 2008 Colnago Master X-Light, 2012 Cannondale SuperSix 5 Liquigas Team, 1995 Vitus 992 Lotto Team, 2006 Bianchi Cross Concept, 1992 Pinarello Asolo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Here is a photo of an Atala I purchased recently. I'm looking for any information about a model name. According to some previous information I received about the serial number, it's a 1989, but I took a picture of that area, in case anyone has a different opinion.

The bike was equipped with a Campagnolo Triomphe crankset, Gran Sport brakes and C-Record levers. The shift levers, derailleurs and freewheel were SunTour. Wheelset is built from Campagnolo Gamma Strada rims and Gipiemme hubs.

I plan to get rid of the SunTour components and match up the rest of the Triomphe gruppo. The modern carbon post and saddle will be sold and replaced by Campagnolo and era-appropriate Selle Italia, respectively.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
My Atala.jpg (104.8 KB, 75 views)
serial number.jpg (99.1 KB, 50 views)
Old 05-20-14, 04:07 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
"According to some previous information I received about the serial number, it's a 1989, "

anything.
Old 05-20-14, 04:20 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
See, this is why nobody wanted to give you info based on that other picture. This bike, at a minimum, has a totally different set of parts. Hopefully someone can come along with some info for you.
Old 05-20-14, 07:00 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
What's the Columbus tubing decal say (at the top of the seat tube, under the saddle)? What branding is on the dropouts? Can you give us some close-ups of the lugs and fork crown, too?

We can help, we just need more info, too

DD
Old 05-21-14, 07:18 AM
Glyndwr

Bikes: 1989 Eddy Merckx Century Hitachi Team, 2008 Colnago Master X-Light, 2012 Cannondale SuperSix 5 Liquigas Team, 1995 Vitus 992 Lotto Team, 2006 Bianchi Cross Concept, 1992 Pinarello Asolo

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Lostarchitect,

Honestly, I don't see. This is a fairly distinctive bicycle (without knowing the parts) in an uncommon paint scheme to other Atalas I've seen, and I've worked on a few. I had a (wrong) feeling that you were holding out on me with some information, and were just jerking me around until I provided the correct format to satisfy you. However, I am at the same place I started before you "helped" me - nowhere!

And what if the person who sold it to me had changed all of the parts - that wouldn't provide any clues, would it?
Old 05-21-14, 07:32 AM
Glyndwr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
DD,

Thanks so much for some real help with details that can't be switched out. Here are some details pics...
Attached Images
label.jpg (86.6 KB, 48 views)
crown.jpg (87.6 KB, 49 views)
head lugs.jpg (85.6 KB, 48 views)
BB lug.jpg (95.0 KB, 49 views)
seat lug.jpg (86.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 05-21-14, 09:32 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Originally Posted by Glyndwr
Lostarchitect,

Honestly, I don't see. This is a fairly distinctive bicycle (without knowing the parts) in an uncommon paint scheme to other Atalas I've seen, and I've worked on a few. I had a (wrong) feeling that you were holding out on me with some information, and were just jerking me around until I provided the correct format to satisfy you. However, I am at the same place I started before you "helped" me - nowhere!

And what if the person who sold it to me had changed all of the parts - that wouldn't provide any clues, would it?

I don't owe you squat, my friend, and neither does anyone else here. What we were doing was trying to help you post what you needed so you could eventually find the correct information, so you didn't get steered wrong. I'm kinda sorry I attempted to help.

FYI, that bike is not very distinctive. Atala made a crapload of them. Now that you have posted some real photos and the serial, someone who knows about Atala from that period will probably eventually see this and help you---that is, if they're not turned off by you being an impatient, demanding dickhead.

Anyway, it's a 1989, probably a GS model--I think those came with Campagnolo Athena groups.

Last edited by lostarchitect; 05-21-14 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-21-14, 09:57 AM
Glyndwr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
"I don't owe you squat, my friend, and neither does anyone else here. What we were doing was trying to help you post what you needed so you could eventually find the correct information, so you didn't get steered wrong. I'm kinda sorry I attempted to help.

FYI, that bike is not very distinctive. Atala made a crapload of them. Now that you have posted some real photos and the serial, someone who knows about Atala from that period will probably eventually see this and help you---that is, if they're not turned off by you being an impatient, demanding dickhead."

First of all, my friends don't belittle someone because they think they have more knowledge on a subject. I think you do owe people courtesy when you are attempting to help, and not call people names, as I did not sink to that immature level with you. You said "What WE were doing", but I was only addressing you and the way you didn't offer anything until I provided what you asked for. I thought you had something constructive to add once I provided MY pictures of the bike that you mistakenly described as one of a "crapload". They did not have several types of these all painted in the same scheme, and please don't try to tell me otherwise.

Just because I'm relative new to this forum doesn't mean I'm clueless. And it definitely doesn't mean I have to become rude to people who know less than I do - I try to promote the sport/hobby and share my knowledge willingly!
Old 05-21-14, 10:03 AM
Glyndwr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
"According to some previous information I received about the serial number, it's a 1989, "

anything.

I don't get it.
Old 05-21-14, 10:12 AM
jmeb

Bikes: 1966 Carlton, 197X MKM, 1983 Trek 620, 1988 Schwinn High Sierra, 1995 DBR Axis Ti, 1999 Waterford, 2016 DBR Release, 2017 Surly Travelers Check

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
They did not have several types of these all painted in the same scheme, and please don't try to tell me otherwise.!
Wherever you learned this may be a good source for information. Demanding information here or demeaning the tough-love-help you get here won't be as useful.

As for the bickering stop it, it is stupid pollution. @rootboy and @lostarchitect are both respected forum members. If you're going to play in online forums you need to develop a thicker skin.
Old 05-21-14, 10:26 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

First of all, my friends don't belittle someone because they think they have more knowledge on a subject. I think you do owe people courtesy when you are attempting to help, and not call people names, as I did not sink to that immature level with you. You said "What WE were doing", but I was only addressing you and the way you didn't offer anything until I provided what you asked for. I thought you had something constructive to add once I provided MY pictures of the bike that you mistakenly described as one of a "crapload". They did not have several types of these all painted in the same scheme, and please don't try to tell me otherwise.

Just because I'm relative new to this forum doesn't mean I'm clueless. And it definitely doesn't mean I have to become rude to people who know less than I do - I try to promote the sport/hobby and share my knowledge willingly!
I didn't have a negative thing to say about you until you decided you were owed information, and that you needed to take general comments personally. After you did that I told you what I thought--deal with it. Again, I didn't promise you anything and I don't owe you anything. I was merely trying to help you find what you needed, which required you to post real photos. You need to grow a thicker skin, not everything is about your feelings, crankypants. With this kind of attitude people are not going to want to help you.

Anyway, in '89 that was the paint scheme for Atala. It is not unique. I have seen several with that scheme. I almost bought one once, but it was too big for me. There are no '89 catalogs online as far as I can tell, so you are being misled by photos of older bikes. The paint scheme was similar but not exactly the same throughout the late 80's.

You're welcome.
Old 05-21-14, 11:24 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Well, a Cromor frame means it's higher up the food chain, so that's good. Bike is in fantastic condition for being produced in 1989! Are the dropouts Gippiemme? I'd be guessing at a model name, so I won't go there, but I'd imagine this was outfitted with Campy Victory and sold as a complete bike. Ciocc and Pinarello were two makes that offered Cromor frames decked out in Victory components.

I thought I had a catalog scan from around 1987 of Atala's offerings, but I do not. Sorry I can't offer up any more info, except to say it's a very nice bike in super shape and you'll get a lot of fun out of that one

DD
Old 05-21-14, 11:40 AM
redcaymatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here is one that looks similar and the right era.

Atala Road Bike
Old 05-21-14, 11:54 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Originally Posted by redcaymatt
Here is one that looks similar and the right era.

Atala Road Bike

That appears to be mostly original. OP, I would save these photos so you have a reference.
Old 05-22-14, 09:04 AM
Glyndwr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks DD. From what I understand from something I found last evening in another section of this forum, Atalas of this era were "named" according to the tubing, then the component group. Using your example, this could have been an Atala Cromor Victory.

By the way, the dropouts are smooth with no engraving.