Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Just pulled trigger on a cafe century carbon flat bar hybrid

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Just pulled trigger on a cafe century carbon flat bar hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-14, 09:46 AM
Bbike4ever

Bikes: Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by themishmosh
Which is about the same as a good aluminum flat bar road bike. Not that there is anything wrong with that. The carbon frame will likely have a better ride. Just disappointed they couldn't throw in a carbon seatpost and handlebar to complete the deal--but you can always get that afterwards. I personally dislike the triple crankset and the old style square taper bottom bracket.
blast I had a double post, see below.

Last edited by Bbike4ever; 08-13-14 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-13-14, 09:50 AM
Bbike4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which is about the same as a good aluminum flat bar road bike. Not that there is anything wrong with that. The carbon frame will likely have a better ride. Just disappointed they couldn't throw in a carbon seatpost and handlebar to complete the deal--but you can always get that afterwards. I personally dislike the triple crankset and the old style square taper bottom bracket.
I read a good analysis of frame materials a while back and they opined that there is minimal weight difference between aluminum and CF frames. Most will never notice the difference. Going strictly by feel my wife's aluminum framed bike feels lighter than my carbon framed bike. It is a smaller framed bike but it has a steel kickstand too which weighs quite a bit so that should make up for differents weight due to frame size. Perosnally to me the aluminum/carbon frame weight comparison almost is a wash unless you are striving for grams worths of savings.
Old 08-13-14, 03:30 PM
themishmosh

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bbike4ever
I read a good analysis of frame materials a while back and they opined that there is minimal weight difference between aluminum and CF frames. Most will never notice the difference. Going strictly by feel my wife's aluminum framed bike feels lighter than my carbon framed bike. It is a smaller framed bike but it has a steel kickstand too which weighs quite a bit so that should make up for differents weight due to frame size. Perosnally to me the aluminum/carbon frame weight comparison almost is a wash unless you are striving for grams worths of savings.
Where is this analysis? There is a big difference in weight between aluminum and the better CF frames. It is only on the low end that there isn't a significant difference. Differences in the better bikes are not measure in grams but pounds.

That said, I have an older carbon hybrid that weighs 21lb with what I have on it. My buddy runs his compact frame aluminum hybrid without any accessories at all--not even saddle bag. He contends/brags that his bike is lighter than mine. Maybe so but my bike rides much more smoother. I love my bike but is it like some of the newer carbon hybrids that weight 18lbs? I sure as heck wish my bike were 3lb lighter and am pretty sure I can appreciate that kind of weight drop.
Old 08-13-14, 05:07 PM
Cafe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where is this analysis? There is a big difference in weight between aluminum and the better CF frames. It is only on the low end that there isn't a significant difference. Differences in the better bikes are not measure in grams but pounds.

That said, I have an older carbon hybrid that weighs 21lb with what I have on it. My buddy runs his compact frame aluminum hybrid without any accessories at all--not even saddle bag. He contends/brags that his bike is lighter than mine. Maybe so but my bike rides much more smoother. I love my bike but is it like some of the newer carbon hybrids that weight 18lbs? I sure as heck wish my bike were 3lb lighter and am pretty sure I can appreciate that kind of weight drop.
Sirrus carbon in large weighs 22 pounds I read somewhere. That is a 1700 bike. So the century is on par in weight to other carbon hybrids. Replacing the square taper bb with an external i hear can save some weight perhaps. When you get to that 15-18 pound range its probably due to a combination of a small frame, light carbon wheelset, and light carbon bits all around...and a light group set. But you can't expect to have a 18 pound hybrid for under 900 when 1700 from a big name brand won't get you there either...unless of course you ride the smallest frame size.

Edit: not sure you want to use these light race parts for a hybrid though. Rather get rugged and durable parts.

Last edited by Cafe; 08-13-14 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-13-14, 05:30 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Which is about the same as a good aluminum flat bar road bike. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
It's more than just the frame. That bike has Kenda Kwest tires and an adjustable stem. Solid stem and the right tires would easily drop a pound or more. I saved half a pound on my Brompton just by getting the Kojak tires. All sorts of ways you can shave weight off a bike.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 08-13-14, 06:19 PM
Bbike4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The point was that for the average rider the performance difference in weight between a good carbon frame and a good aluminum frame was minimal. They recommended opting for stuff that has more immediate impact like better wheels and aerodynamics. Far be it for me to judge though since I too opted for a carbon frame...
Old 08-13-14, 06:22 PM
Bbike4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad news café, I looked again and I don't know if you can remove the decals. You can feel the texture of the decal but I couldn't find and edge to peel.
Old 08-13-14, 10:03 PM
Cafe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bad news café, I looked again and I don't know if you can remove the decals. You can feel the texture of the decal but I couldn't find and edge to peel.
Still no pics of your bike? Would like to see some normal pics of those decals. I'll post pics...but my bike won't be up and running until after I upgrade to the ultegra crankset etc.
Old 08-14-14, 07:24 AM
Bbike4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here it is:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Untitled.jpg (86.9 KB, 290 views)
Old 08-14-14, 09:24 AM
Cafe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here it is:

Ya those decals got to go. I wish it was tastefully done...but it looks terrible...big blocky letters....almost as if a elementary kid stenciled out the letters. Other than that looks good. I'd change the saddle and stem myself.
Old 08-14-14, 10:27 AM
Bbike4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fully expected I would be changing the saddle but find it isn't that bad. Maybe I have low expectations?
Old 08-14-14, 10:42 AM
Cafe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I fully expected I would be changing the saddle but find it isn't that bad. Maybe I have low expectations?
I guess if your comfortable then why change it. I think maybe putting matte black vinyl decals over the existing decals is the way to go for me. Give it a nice understated look without voiding the warranty.
Old 08-14-14, 12:17 PM
themishmosh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dynaryder
It's more than just the frame. That bike has Kenda Kwest tires and an adjustable stem. Solid stem and the right tires would easily drop a pound or more. I saved half a pound on my Brompton just by getting the Kojak tires. All sorts of ways you can shave weight off a bike.
That is exactly my point. It may be a carbon bike for $900 but the rest of the bike isn't what I would want. Heck, I would take an Escape RX over the Cafe Century any day. If I spend close to a grand, I would want a 2x10 speed not 9. I would definitely pay the premium for the RX or even the RX Composite. To upgrade the drivetrain, seatpost, seat, handlebar, stem--that's a lot of dough and work. If you want "rugged and durable", that is not carbon though.
Old 08-14-14, 02:34 PM
Bbike4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is exactly my point. It may be a carbon bike for $900 but the rest of the bike isn't what I would want. Heck, I would take an Escape RX over the Cafe Century any day. If I spend close to a grand, I would want a 2x10 speed not 9. I would definitely pay the premium for the RX or even the RX Composite. To upgrade the drivetrain, seatpost, seat, handlebar, stem--that's a lot of dough and work. If you want "rugged and durable", that is not carbon though.
It is a 3x9 cassette not a 2x9 and a triple over double crank is a preference. The upgrades you mention would save a pound or two but who cares for a recreational tour rider and its definately not worth another $650 to me for the Escape to save a pound or two. If it were I could do the work for a small fraction of the extra $650.

Last edited by Bbike4ever; 08-14-14 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-14-14, 02:41 PM
Bbike4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, but why replace tires right away? We ride oil chip farm roads and they wear tires out fast, my wife's are about 15 months old and almost smooth. I am going to get some use out of these before I buy new in a year or so. I ride tube liners too so to avoid flats and that is way more important to me than shaving a few ounces of weight. The stem weight savings are miniscule in the grand scheme of things considering the cargo I haul on a ride, for example, I carry 2 bottles not one like in the picture.
Old 08-14-14, 03:36 PM
themishmosh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is a 3x9 cassette not a 2x9 and a triple over double crank is a preference. The upgrades you mention would save a pound or two but who cares for a recreational tour rider and its definately not worth another $650 to me for the Escape to save a pound or two. If it were I could do the work for a small fraction of the extra $650.
Hey, if you are happy with the bike you paid for, that is all that matters. I do like that the frame is carbon and that the wheelset is respectable. Everything else I am not too thrilled with. It is an flat bar road bike wannabe or an expensive recreational hybrid. Please don't be offended if I don't like the bike. If people don't like my two bikes, hey, that's OK. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 08-14-14, 03:47 PM
Cafe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Escape RX looks nice but the specs and aluminum frame would be a downgrade from the cafe century from what I see.
Old 08-14-14, 03:54 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Hey, if you are happy with the bike you paid for, that is all that matters. I do like that the frame is carbon and that the wheelset is respectable. Everything else I am not too thrilled with. It is an flat bar road bike wannabe or an expensive recreational hybrid. Please don't be offended if I don't like the bike. If people don't like my two bikes, hey, that's OK. Different strokes for different folks.
I feel you are being a bit harsh here.

Heaps of people prefer a 9 speed to a 10 speed because they say the life difference for the chain and rear cassette is staggering and similarly, his Triple Crankset gives him a granny gear which also appears to be exactly what he needs.

All told, this bike looks to be better than every Trek FX, that is not a 7.7FX and heaps of people praise the FX line all the time.

Even with his adjustable stem, now he gets to fiddle around and work out what angle works best for him, so he can buy the exact fixed angle stem, without having to guess.
Old 08-14-14, 04:31 PM
themishmosh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I feel you are being a bit harsh here.

Heaps of people prefer a 9 speed to a 10 speed because they say the life difference for the chain and rear cassette is staggering and similarly, his Triple Crankset gives him a granny gear which also appears to be exactly what he needs.

All told, this bike looks to be better than every Trek FX, that is not a 7.7FX and heaps of people praise the FX line all the time.

Even with his adjustable stem, now he gets to fiddle around and work out what angle works best for him, so he can buy the exact fixed angle stem, without having to guess.
I guess I can't win for stating an opinion. 9 speed preference for longevity of the chain? I tell, I own a 9 speed and a 10 speed and that is not even a consideration. Not even. That's like saying people prefer platform pedals because cleats wear out. Or that performance tires don't last as long as the Kenda special. You cannot argue ruggedness and durability when you opt for a carbon bike.
Old 08-14-14, 04:51 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guess I can't win for stating an opinion. 9 speed preference for longevity of the chain? I tell, I own a 9 speed and a 10 speed and that is not even a consideration.
I've commuted on both 9 and 10spds,and much prefer 9. My 9spd chains lasted a year and cost $24,my 10's about 8months and cost $40.

Just curious,but what is it about the 10spd you prefer?

You cannot argue ruggedness and durability when you opt for a carbon bike.
Citation please? There's a big flamefest over in A&S over carbon. Lots of people trash talk carbon,but most don't have anything to back up their claims with other than anecdotes. You do realize there are carbon cross bikes and MTB's? Even MTB's with rigid carbon forks? Carbon isn't as fragile as people think. You can even lock it up on racks;just put a couple strips of something like this on it:

Oh,and I'll also just leave this right here:

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X

Last edited by dynaryder; 08-14-14 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-14-14, 04:59 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

I guess I can't win for stating an opinion. 9 speed preference for longevity of the chain? I tell, I own a 9 speed and a 10 speed and that is not even a consideration. Not even. That's like saying people prefer platform pedals because cleats wear out. Or that performance tires don't last as long as the Kenda special. You cannot argue ruggedness and durability when you opt for a carbon bike.
I've seen people on these forums state that they get 2,500 KM's from a 10 speed chain and 7,500 KM's from a 9 speed chain, and that is why they prefer 9 speed setups.

I have to admit to having no personal experience with either 9 or 10 speed setups, since I'm rocking a 7 speed setup.
Old 08-14-14, 05:15 PM
themishmosh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've commuted on both 9 and 10spds,and much prefer 9. My 9spd chains lasted a year and cost $24,my 10's about 8months and cost $40.

Just curious,but what is it about the 10spd you prefer?
The extra gear is huge. I can have a tighter spacing of gears such that I can almost always find the perfect gear for what I'm doing. My 9 and 10 speeds are set up similarly but I sometimes find on my 9 speed that I want to be in between gears. I would love an 11 speed! Mileage wise, I don't find 9 speeds last any longer than 10 speeds although you are right about the cost difference. In life, I blow so much more on stupid things that $20 more a year isn't even going to make me care one iota.

As far as carbon, my seatpost has already cracked. Maybe I torqued it too much at the clamp but no way would aluminum have even made a fuss about it. Expensive MTBs are carbon, sure, but what about low end carbon? The Alfa Romea 4C has a carbon fiber structure. Strong? You bet. But cheap carbon is a totally different ball game. My Marin hybrid, I consider cheap carbon, and yes I worry about it. Check it for cracks often. Cringe when I don't see a large expansion joint/bump and hit it going hard.

Edit: another plus about 10 speed. Better shifters available! My Shimano R770 are far and away better shifters than the R440.

Last edited by themishmosh; 08-14-14 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-14-14, 06:58 PM
Cafe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The extra gear is huge. I can have a tighter spacing of gears such that I can almost always find the perfect gear for what I'm doing. My 9 and 10 speeds are set up similarly but I sometimes find on my 9 speed that I want to be in between gears. I would love an 11 speed! Mileage wise, I don't find 9 speeds last any longer than 10 speeds although you are right about the cost difference. In life, I blow so much more on stupid things that $20 more a year isn't even going to make me care one iota.

As far as carbon, my seatpost has already cracked. Maybe I torqued it too much at the clamp but no way would aluminum have even made a fuss about it. Expensive MTBs are carbon, sure, but what about low end carbon? The Alfa Romea 4C has a carbon fiber structure. Strong? You bet. But cheap carbon is a totally different ball game. My Marin hybrid, I consider cheap carbon, and yes I worry about it. Check it for cracks often. Cringe when I don't see a large expansion joint/bump and hit it going hard.

Edit: another plus about 10 speed. Better shifters available! My Shimano R770 are far and away better shifters than the R440
I'm gonna weigh this adjustable stem. From the ones I have seen on eBay they can weight over 350 grams. Buying a cheap $15 aluminum stem is gonna cut almost half a pound. If you think about it dude I can put a 2x10 ultegra setup on the cafe century for little cost. But I honestly don't see the point.
Old 08-14-14, 08:01 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Edit: another plus about 10 speed. Better shifters available! My Shimano R770 are far and away better shifters than the R440.
How important are the respective roles of the Shifters vs the Derailleurs in shifting quality?

With my limited knowledge, I was thinking that the Derailleurs were the all important part and shifters were just an afterthought, but as I said, I do have quite limited knowledge about these things.
Old 08-14-14, 10:23 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Cover up the Motobecane and putting a non-adjustable stem on that bike and people will be asking you what your great looking bike is. It seems like a more than fair price for the product you received. I've been eying the BD Ti Motobecane.... they have a 2013 in my size on sale :-/ I'd be more than happy to pay $75 for my local LBS to put it together and go over it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.