Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone participated in Senior Olympics?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-24, 06:43 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 235 Posts

My last race was circa 1978, a 20 mile time trial.

But today I get an announcement for the Ohio Senior Olympic Games, only about an hour from me and I am thinking about giving it a go. 5K, 10K individual time trials and a 25k road race.

Anyone done these? I am an ok 68 year old, decent club rider with no aspirations of winning anything, but looking for a fun new challenge. Good experience?
Old 04-17-24, 09:06 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 415 Posts
I did it once, right after I turned 50, the minimum age in Rhode Island (I’m 63 now). Unless things have changed, I doubt I’ll be doing it again. I signed up for the cycling event. I don’t want to badmouth anyone for getting out and doing physical activity, but there really wasn’t any competition on par with what I was expecting. Everyone else who showed up to ride were in street clothes, and riding fat wheel off-road bikes, commuters, or beach cruisers. It was a road race, and I was the only person on a road bike. Needless to say I rode the whole thing by myself, out front, at a pace that wasn’t really competitive. FYI, similar experience with the footrace 5k.

Dan
Old 04-17-24, 12:04 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I did it once, right after I turned 50, the minimum age in Rhode Island (I’m 63 now). Unless things have changed, I doubt I’ll be doing it again. I signed up for the cycling event. I don’t want to badmouth anyone for getting out and doing physical activity, but there really wasn’t any competition on par with what I was expecting. Everyone else who showed up to ride were in street clothes, and riding fat wheel off-road bikes, commuters, or beach cruisers. It was a road race, and I was the only person on a road bike. Needless to say I rode the whole thing by myself, out front, at a pace that wasn’t really competitive. FYI, similar experience with the footrace 5k.

Dan
I helped marshall a course once, many years ago and it was as you described. But I have also looked at some results and old guys were riding way faster than I could have 20 years ago.

I guess it varies a lot.
Old 04-17-24, 07:05 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I've done this several times. Where I am, they only have the 5k and 10k time trials. No road race, but I would enter if they did. There were many serious riders with nice bikes, so it was competitive (although for a time trial, I'm not sure that's important). I enjoyed the event and would do it again as long as I don't have a conflict. (Sometimes it has been held on days when I had to be out of town.)
Old 04-17-24, 08:06 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2701 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 352 Posts
lol I would expect the competition to be fierce for the senior olympics bike races. It’s almost a meme, the retired guy who just spends all day riding bikes, maybe has not the greatest family life, buys all the best gear and takes it super seriously. This guy I’m describing is usually wicked fast, would be training for the senior olympics etc etc
Old 04-17-24, 08:27 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8293 Post(s)
Liked 9,081 Times in 4,489 Posts
Some members have gone to the Huntsman Senior Games and said they had a great time. 2 of my friends have gone multiple times and intend to go back. Age group racing with skill levels within the age groups.
Huntsman World Senior Games | Schedules
Old 04-17-24, 09:44 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Some members have gone to the Huntsman Senior Games and said they had a great time. 2 of my friends have gone multiple times and intend to go back. Age group racing with skill levels within the age groups.
Huntsman World Senior Games | Schedules
Located in St. George? That could be a fun excursion!
Old 04-17-24, 10:00 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8293 Post(s)
Liked 9,081 Times in 4,489 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical
Located in St. George? That could be a fun excursion!
Yes. They have all kinds of games, there is a schedule on that page. My one friend did the crit, the road race, the TT, and the hill climb. Said it's very competitive.