Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thinking about Building a Road Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 12:10 AM
smallsc111

Bikes: Motobecane Fixie, Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

I am thinking about building an all carbon road bike, I was looking around and I really like the naked carbon fiber look, does anybody have any suggestions on manufactures for frames and forks? I did a preliminary search and all the sellers with an unbranded frame were from China and I'd like to buy from the United States. I Built the fixed wheel that I currently ride but I want to step up to the big boys and go for broke. Thanks for the suggestions.

MC
Old 03-26-15, 12:33 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Product - dengfubikes
Old 03-26-15, 07:10 AM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Nashbar Carbon Road Frame and Fork
Old 03-26-15, 07:46 AM
PiLigand
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nashbar does pretty bare frames. Orbea doesn't do completely naked, but they usually leave a lot of fiber exposed and have otherwise tasteful decals. Plus warranty (though I have no qualms with Chinese frames).
Plus Orbea won't quite break your bank I don't think.

If you go the Chinese route, post back later with your thoughts on the build. I'm very curious about that aspect of the industry.
Old 03-26-15, 08:29 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Nashbar frame is basically about the same price as the Chinese generics but you deal with an American company and get their support and return policy. I'd do that if I was looking to build up an economical carbon road bike from a new frame.
Old 03-26-15, 09:30 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by milkbaby
The Nashbar frame is basically about the same price as the Chinese generics but you deal with an American company and get their support and return policy. I'd do that if I was looking to build up an economical carbon road bike from a new frame.
Nashbar gives you one option. Dengfu give you about 6 road options with race geo, endurance, aeor and has frames as light as 850 g. I don't have either but I have done a lot of research when I was considering them. The Nashbar seems like it is a heavier entry level CF frame where as Dengfu (and other direct open mold frames) you can get stuff that is close to or on par with high end race frames. They also offer different BB standards and Nashbar has just one. But if OP uses Google he can find hundreds of pages of forum threads and blog entries on the subject and plenty of first hand opinions
Old 03-26-15, 11:33 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Nashbar gives you one option. Dengfu give you about 6 road options with race geo, endurance, aeor and has frames as light as 850 g. I don't have either but I have done a lot of research when I was considering them.
I agree with everything you said, it's just that the OP specifically said he/she wanted to buy from the United States.
Old 03-26-15, 11:55 AM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride a nude Calfee. It doesn't have paint or a clear coat. I need to clean it with 303 Protectant every six months to keep it looking new.

Calfees are built in California. I have toured their factory and watched them being built.

Www.calfeedesign.com
Old 03-26-15, 12:23 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Keep in mind that MOST carbon frames are not produced in the USA anyway, they're just outsourced by an american company and then badged. If you want an american company middle man, there are options. I don't think anybody has mentioned pedalforce yet, but they do periodic group buys that might suit your needs.
Old 03-26-15, 12:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I think Parlee makes semi-custom CF frames in the USA. Maybe a couple of other manufacturers too. You should be able to specify the paint.

Most of the cheap CF frames have vertical dropouts which might be a pain for single speed/fixie.

A company like Parlee should be able to install track ends. You could hunt down a track/pista specific frame.

Another option might be to get BB30 with an eccentric adapter.
Old 03-26-15, 01:59 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Keep in mind that MOST carbon frames are not produced in the USA anyway, they're just outsourced by an american company and then badged. If you want an american company middle man, there are options. I don't think anybody has mentioned pedalforce yet, but they do periodic group buys that might suit your needs.
Yes, most CF frames are made in china. If Op wants something made in USA like the Calfee that was mentioned, expect to pay 5x amount for a frame that is not 5x better. I am assuming OP just wants to purchase from a US based company for the sake of warranty and return etc
Old 03-26-15, 02:26 PM
seymour1910

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Yes, most CF frames are made in china. If Op wants something made in USA like the Calfee that was mentioned, expect to pay 5x amount for a frame that is not 5x better. I am assuming OP just wants to purchase from a US based company for the sake of warranty and return etc
That's how I read the OP. When I linked the Nashbar bike I wasn't suggesting it was the best option out there. I thought it was the one that best fit what he was looking for. Dengfu definately offers more options though.
Old 03-26-15, 03:08 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Or do what I did buy a used Calfee. Calfee will let the warranty transfer to a new owner.

A stock Luna Pro frame is $2500 new. I bought my Tetra frame a couple of years old for $1200 and have been riding it for 8 years.

Last edited by Carbon Unit; 03-26-15 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-26-15, 04:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Also, don't forget Titanium which is made by several small manufacturers in the USA.
Old 03-26-15, 05:47 PM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
Velovie Vitesse 500 in black naked carbon
Old 04-07-15, 12:51 PM
Tri4life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking at building as well. Wondering Velobuild or just Dengfu direct?