Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

A roadie looking to take up mountain biking

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-15, 01:11 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have never ridden a mountain bike but have decades of experience on road bikes. Since I moved from California to Texas I am decided to take up mountain biking.

Where I live road biking can be some what dangerous since most of the roads do not have shoulders. To get a good ride in, I would have to throw my bike in the car and drive somewhere however, mountain biking trails are abundant around me.

Trying to determine which bike is best suited for the type of riding is what I am trying to determine. I am not interested in technical riding or downhill. I want to be able to do group rides on trails. Because I am in my late 50s, I am thinking I need a full suspension bike. I am over 6' tall and am thinking that either a 29er or a 27.5 wheel size would be best. The bikes that seem to fit the bill right now are the Giant Anthem and the Trance which I know are very different bikes.

Anything recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 04-05-15, 05:26 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You have me by about ten years but our road riding and height is similar. I quit mtb in the late 90's and started riding road. I recently started riding the trails again. Try both the 27.5 and the 29 ers. I liked the way the 27.5 handled but went with the 29er anyway. I am glad I did because I love it on the trail. They roll very well over things. It's not as responsive on turns and sometimes the width of the handlebars makes me nervous though. I like the hard tail better so I went with that instead of full suspension.
Giant makes a great bike so either of those bikes will be perfectly fine.

Last edited by Shuffleman; 04-05-15 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-05-15, 09:17 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shuffleman
You have me by about ten years but our road riding and height is similar. I quit mtb in the late 90's and started riding road. I recently started riding the trails again. Try both the 27.5 and the 29 ers. I liked the way the 27.5 handled but went with the 29er anyway. I am glad I did because I love it on the trail. They roll very well over things. It's not as responsive on turns and sometimes the width of the handlebars makes me nervous though. I like the hard tail better so I went with that instead of full suspension.
Giant makes a great bike so either of those bikes will be perfectly fine.
Thanks for the reply. I have considered a hard tail but everyone I know that owns both a hard tail and FS bike tells me that I should get FS. Not having experience with either and getting on in years, I thought that suspension might be worth the cost premium.
Old 04-05-15, 09:30 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The anthem has typical XC race geometry which will feel a bit like a road bike, but I would suggestthe trance as it will be a more capable trail bike.

Of course, that's just one brand of many to consider.
Old 04-05-15, 10:24 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColinL
The anthem has typical XC race geometry which will feel a bit like a road bike, but I would suggestthe trance as it will be a more capable trail bike.

Of course, that's just one brand of many to consider.
The Trance is also on my short list too. I noticed that this year it is not available in a 29er only a 27.5 so now wheel size is one more thing to consider. It will take me some time to educate myself on which bikes match up with my needs. So far picking a mountain bike is more complicated than picking a road bike.
Old 04-06-15, 12:21 AM
Pendergast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What's your budget?
Old 04-06-15, 05:48 AM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pendergast
What's your budget?
That's good question. I probably have close to $5000 in my road bike. I think I can find something in the $3000 or less price range. I would then still have some money left for shoes and other gear. I would also consider buying used. I bought my road bike used and built up from parts off of Ebay.
Old 04-06-15, 07:19 AM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
That's good question. I probably have close to $5000 in my road bike. I think I can find something in the $3000 or less price range. I would then still have some money left for shoes and other gear. I would also consider buying used. I bought my road bike used and built up from parts off of Ebay.
No reason to spend anywhere close to that on a first mtb. Can get a triple butted light weight Al bike, with Deore/SLX/XT drivetrain, and a very adjustable Reba air fork for less than 2k.

Which is quite high end.
Old 04-06-15, 07:35 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
$3k is a good budget for a capable full-suspension bike. you'll get a serviceable drivetrain and brakes, and you'll have options for trail-worthy forks.

If you're curious about 29ers, you should definitely ride one. any ride on a trail will be 10x more valuable than time spent in a parking lot or road so consider a rental if a shop doesn't do demo rides on dirt.

what other brands are local to you?
Old 04-06-15, 09:08 AM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Menel
No reason to spend anywhere close to that on a first mtb. Can get a triple butted light weight Al bike, with Deore/SLX/XT drivetrain, and a very adjustable Reba air fork for less than 2k.

Which is quite high end.
I recant.
The second post made me think hardtail... Upon review, Op wants a FS.

$3k is a good budget for a capable full-suspension bike. you'll get a serviceable drivetrain and brakes, and you'll have options for trail-worthy forks.

If you're curious about 29ers, you should definitely ride one. any ride on a trail will be 10x more valuable than time spent in a parking lot or road so consider a rental if a shop doesn't do demo rides on dirt.

*this
Old 04-07-15, 01:12 AM
Pendergast

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Giants are usually pretty good for the money. My main mountain bike is a Trance X 29er.

The Anthem SX is one I would definitely check out if I were in the market for a FS 27.5. A bit more front travel and slightly more slack head tube angle than the non-SX.

A 29er that looks pretty interesting is the Salsa Spearfish. It's slack-ish for an XC 29er and has relatively short chainstays. The current models(2014 & later, I think) have a Dave Weagle designed suspension that sounds like it's a big improvement over earlier years. Only 80mm rear travel and 100 front, but the reviewers say it feels like more rear travel than that.

I have a full suspension bike more for comfort than capability. My Trance X is more bike than I'll probably ever need. Some of the Austin terrain looks pretty rocky, and a FS is nice to have for that sort of stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uno9d0Eqg4k
Old 04-07-15, 05:55 AM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I can probably find any brands if I am willing to drive a little. The closest shop to me carries Canondale and Giant. My neighbor is a Trek fan and has a repair shop in his garage.
Old 04-07-15, 07:56 AM
johnelliss
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Choose the one that is comfortable for you and covers your budget.
Old 04-07-15, 09:39 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I can probably find any brands if I am willing to drive a little. The closest shop to me carries Canondale and Giant. My neighbor is a Trek fan and has a repair shop in his garage.
I don't think Cannondale has anything that would be compelling over a Giant Trance or Anthem, depending on which way you were leaning. If there is Trek nearby, the Remedy might be worth a look.
Old 04-07-15, 12:45 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Trance only comes in a 27.5 now. I am not sure if that will affect my decision. I was planning on a 29er.
Old 04-07-15, 01:16 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The Trance only comes in a 27.5 now. I am not sure if that will affect my decision. I was planning on a 29er.
Ah. Then you probably do want to be sure to look at a Trek Fuel Ex 29. There's one around $3k with the DRCV shock which is a good bike.
Old 04-12-15, 10:35 AM
WCroadie

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recently made the switch from road to mountain, I went with a specialized crave pro, it's an XC hard tail, msrp is $1999 I love the bike, decent enough components so I am not itching to upgrade. Whatever bike you choose in the 2k+ range is gonna be decent. Just test ride a few and get what fits/you like best.

Sometimes I wish I paid a little more for a full suspension, but I didn't really need it.
Old 04-21-15, 09:43 PM
Latif

Bikes: Seven Axiom steel, Salsa Vaya,Specialized Sectuer, Santa Cruz 5010

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone with experience with the Specialized Camber? FS 29er stating at $2000msrp.
Old 04-21-15, 11:15 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
The specs aren't that impressive. You really want a decent rear shock on a full suspension bike and from what I can find that one isn't decent. Front fork is a fairly low end as well. You really have to step up to the comp version for $2700 to get good bits. To get a good full suspension bike for $2k you pretty much have to catch a deal, go online, or go used. Performance bike and REI sometimes have some really good deals on them if you happen to have one locally you can even test ride some of them. Jensonusa.com and the like usually have some really good deals on old stock but then you can't test ride them first like this

Jamis Dakar XCR 29" Race Bike 2013 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA

for instance. You also have to get lucky and hope they have the size you want in stock. A lot of the times when they have REALLY good deals it is because it is only available in one of the least wanted sizes.
Old 04-25-15, 11:54 AM
Latif

Bikes: Seven Axiom steel, Salsa Vaya,Specialized Sectuer, Santa Cruz 5010

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've already realized that I need to jump up to the comp level in that bike or others. My favorite LBS in our small town deals in Spesh and Pivot which is out of my league for a first suspension MB. I test road both a Camber comp and a Stumpjumper comp yesterday, not in the woods but a couple of short steep local town climbs and was impressed with both, same price and mostly same specs. the SJ is squishier but I couldn't tell the difference as to the slight geo differences. The edge goes to the SJ on appearance as I prefer the matte black.I have a very good relationship with this LBS and do feel strong customer loyalty but feel I need to check out the other shop which has Trek and Santa Cruz.
Old 04-23-17, 08:26 AM
poperszky

Bikes: 2015 Giant Anthem SX,2015 Giant Talon2, 2010 Giant Defy 1, 2005 Specialized Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a roadie who added a Giant Talon 2 29er hardtail to my collection a couple of years ago. While I love the 29er for XC I have always felt a lack of control on downhill, especially when it is rocky. I picked up the Anthem SX 2 FS a couple of days ago and took it out yesterday. The FS was definitely easier on me but I am torn on the geometry. I did a rocky XC and missed sitting up as high as my Talon, but definitely felt more in control on the rocks and wasn't beat up nearly as bad. Personally, I think I will get used to it, and the Anthem will serve me better in the long run as I work with more technical trails.
Old 04-26-17, 05:30 AM
TomFR

Bikes: DB Mission

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depending on on the trials you'll be riding you maybe feel better on a hardtail. Much more responsive feel than FS. I also think it's wise to learn to mountain bike on a hardtail because it teaches you to choose your lines wisely, you can't just roll over anything.