Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Fear of carbon fork breaking on potholes

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 10-06-19, 12:21 AM
codyB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I just got a nice used road bike in perfect condition with an aluminum alloy frame and a carbon fork, but not carbon steering tube. I will be riding this bike over a TON of potholes and bumps, but hopefully never curbs, and I'm worried about the carbon fork snapping as I hit a pothole at 18mph. I'm thinking of changing to a different material fork for this reason because again I am often forced to hit a lot of potholes, but can anybody tell me how likely a serious breakage is to happen while riding or what the best course of action would be?
Old 10-06-19, 05:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by codyB
I just got a nice used road bike in perfect condition with an aluminum alloy frame and a carbon fork, but not carbon steering tube. I will be riding this bike over a TON of potholes and bumps, but hopefully never curbs, and I'm worried about the carbon fork snapping as I hit a pothole at 18mph. I'm thinking of changing to a different material fork for this reason because again I am often forced to hit a lot of potholes, but can anybody tell me how likely a serious breakage is to happen while riding or what the best course of action would be?
Not very likely, and keep the fork if you can live with the very small risk, or get a new one if you can't. I've hit potholes at a lot faster than 18 mph on my carbon fork, and no problems. Failure is an abnormal occurrence unless it's been damaged by a previous accident.
Old 10-06-19, 05:48 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I ran a no name chicom carbon fork on a bikepacking rig. It took all kinds of abuse without any issues at all. If the bike is a name brand bike, you should be ok.

But... Hitting pothole will damage rims, cause pinch flats and could put you down hard. Avoidance is the key.
Likes For bakerjw:
Old 10-06-19, 12:07 PM
codyB

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Not very likely, and keep the fork if you can live with the very small risk, or get a new one if you can't. I've hit potholes at a lot faster than 18 mph on my carbon fork, and no problems. Failure is an abnormal occurrence unless it's been damaged by a previous accident.
Thanks. I'll keep it then.
Old 10-06-19, 12:36 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Why are your forced to hit potholes?
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 10-06-19, 01:13 PM
codyB

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
In my city there are innumerable potholes, or strange bumps, some lines of potholes that span the whole street. Often when a car is passing me I will come up one a pothole that, were the car not there or if I had enough space, I could avoid, that I'd have to come to a full stop and wait for the car to pass to avoid. It's ridiculous and everybody hates it. I live in Buffalo NY, U.S.A. by the way.
Likes For codyB:
Old 10-06-19, 01:23 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
In my city there are innumerable potholes, or strange bumps, some lines of potholes that span the whole street. Often when a car is passing me I will come up one a pothole that, were the car not there or if I had enough space, I could avoid, that I'd have to come to a full stop and wait for the car to pass to avoid. It's ridiculous and everybody hates it. I live in Buffalo NY, U.S.A. by the way.
You need a mountain bike!
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 10-06-19, 01:28 PM
codyB

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
They're way too slow for my liking. Maybe I could put some thinner tires on a fully suspended mountain bike but still in my experience theyre usually heavier. I don't think I've ever seen thin wheels on a mountain bike and there's probably a reason for it.
Old 10-06-19, 01:47 PM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I have never broken a carbon fork. I was hit by a minivan that shoved me into the curb. The front wheel had broken spokes and was bent badly but the carbon fork did not break. I did not reuse the fork because it skidded across the sidewalk which gouged it down to the carbon fibers. That damage would have ruined any other fork too.
Old 10-06-19, 03:11 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
So far, so good.
Old 10-06-19, 10:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
If you do any serious amounts of riding in a northern US state, you're bound to run into some pretty horrible potholes. Infrastructure maintenance is not terrific in this country, and winter's effects on tarmac and concrete accumulate.
Old 10-07-19, 06:10 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
If peace of mind is worth a couple of hundred bucks, Ruckuscomp in Portland can ultrasound carbon frames and forks to check for cracks undsr the surface. Ruckuscomp.com, I think.
Old 10-08-19, 10:23 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
They're way too slow for my liking. Maybe I could put some thinner tires on a fully suspended mountain bike but still in my experience theyre usually heavier. I don't think I've ever seen thin wheels on a mountain bike and there's probably a reason for it.
Skinny tires for speed is old thinking. Now there are lightweight and fast tires in 2"+.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-08-19, 12:17 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Skinny tires for speed is old thinking. Now there are lightweight and fast tires in 2"+.
Just saying the obvious, but putting a 2”+ ”lightweight and fast tire” into a fork (or frame) without adequate clearance turns a “nice used road bike in perfect condition with an aluminum alloy frame and a carbon fork, but not carbon steering tube” into a large and awkward paperweight.

On the other hand, since such a road bike is no longer roadworthy, no worries about potholes, or forks.

Sometimes one’s gotta know their limitations.

-mr. bill
Old 10-08-19, 12:21 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Just saying the obvious, but putting a 2”+ ”lightweight and fast tire” into a fork (or frame) without adequate clearance turns a “nice used road bike in perfect condition with an aluminum alloy frame and a carbon fork, but not carbon steering tube” into a large and awkward paperweight.

On the other hand, since such a road bike is no longer roadworthy, no worries about potholes, or forks.

Sometimes one’s gotta know their limitations.

-mr. bill
I was only referring to the hypothetical mountain bike in the post I quoted.

I have no use for carbon road bikes with inadequate tire clearance.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-08-19, 12:42 PM
mr_bill

I was only referring to the hypothetical mountain bike in the post I quoted.

I have no use for carbon road bikes with inadequate tire clearance.
I suppose when you have a hammer, all the world looks like nails.

Oddly, people ride all kinds of bikes, even in Buffalo, New York.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-08-19 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-08-19, 12:43 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
The only time I have been able to break a carbon fork was when I hit a parked utility truck at somewhere north of 25 miles an hour. The lid of my water bottle shattered in the crash. Front wheel was destroyed. I broke some ribs and had a big contusion on my jaw.

The fork was cracked on one leg. I took it off the bike, and later put a wheel back in it and used it to trolley lumber for a project. Even badly damaged, with a big crack through the front of one fork leg, it held its end up over rough forest paths when the load was a few hundred pounds.

Carbon forks have handled millions of miles over all kinds of conditions. Every cyclist racing the spring classics over cobbled roads rides a carbon fork. Severe front impacts can break them as well as they would any fork.

If you worry about a pothole taking your fork out, you might as well worry about the pothole breaking your handlebars, folding your rim, or causing your frame's headtube to separate. The potholes might steal your identity and lead you to financial ruin. They could publish a lightly fictionalized memoir that puts you in a terrible light. They may vibrate your arms in such a way that you'll get double arm cancer, which happens to have no ribbon to honor its victims. Any of this could happen. Stare into the abyss of a pothole and the abyss stares back into you.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 10-08-19, 12:47 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I was gonna say glasses

I'm kidding, just kidding As mentioned above, based on what you describe I wouldn't worry too much about the fork.
Old 10-08-19, 12:53 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by mr_bill
I suppose when you have a hammer, all the world looks like nails.

Oddly, people ride all kinds of bikes, even in Buffalo, New York.

-mr. bill
You're full of platitudes today. Got anything helpful for the OP?
RUSA #7498
Old 10-08-19, 12:58 PM
mr_bill

You're full of platitudes today. Got anything helpful for the OP?
Yeah, enjoy your bike and don't listen to people yapping on about 2"+ tires.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-08-19 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-08-19, 01:05 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
If there are that many potholes as you claim there are, I doubt you will be hitting anything at 18 mph. And if you do hit a pothole at that speed, the carbon fork is the least of your worries.
Old 10-08-19, 02:37 PM
codyB

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
If there are that many potholes as you claim there are, I doubt you will be hitting anything at 18 mph. And if you do hit a pothole at that speed, the carbon fork is the least of your worries.
There are some streets with minimal potholes but the majority are, in certain stretches, riddled with them but even in those areas I've hit potholes at 22 mph or more.
Old 10-08-19, 02:40 PM
codyB

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ljsense
The only time I have been able to break a carbon fork was when I hit a parked utility truck at somewhere north of 25 miles an hour. The lid of my water bottle shattered in the crash. Front wheel was destroyed. I broke some ribs and had a big contusion on my jaw.

The fork was cracked on one leg. I took it off the bike, and later put a wheel back in it and used it to trolley lumber for a project. Even badly damaged, with a big crack through the front of one fork leg, it held its end up over rough forest paths when the load was a few hundred pounds.

Carbon forks have handled millions of miles over all kinds of conditions. Every cyclist racing the spring classics over cobbled roads rides a carbon fork. Severe front impacts can break them as well as they would any fork.

If you worry about a pothole taking your fork out, you might as well worry about the pothole breaking your handlebars, folding your rim, or causing your frame's headtube to separate. The potholes might steal your identity and lead you to financial ruin. They could publish a lightly fictionalized memoir that puts you in a terrible light. They may vibrate your arms in such a way that you'll get double arm cancer, which happens to have no ribbon to honor its victims. Any of this could happen. Stare into the abyss of a pothole and the abyss stares back into you.
It might force me to watch as it cuckolds me.
Old 10-08-19, 03:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,903 Times in 2,539 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense

If you worry about a pothole taking your fork out, you might as well worry about the pothole breaking your handlebars, folding your rim, or causing your frame's headtube to separate. ...
"Carbon forks have handled millions of miles over all kinds of conditions." Yes. But carbon forks have also snapped suddenly at the crown/blade or crown steerer interface. I've had a (non-steel) fork break on me in that fashion. Trust me, it is the one bicycle failure you do not want to happen in this lifetime or your next.

"Every cyclist racing the spring classics over cobbled roads rides a carbon fork." Yes also. But they ride those races on new or near new forks.

"If you worry about a pothole taking your fork out, you might as well worry about the pothole breaking your handlebars, folding your rim, or causing your frame's headtube to separate." All of those are less catastrophic than a CF fork braking at the crown. I bent an aluminum handlebar 30 degrees riding into a New England March pothole (with acar beside me). Trashed many rims on potholes, riding almost all home.

Headtubes and the headtube/downtube/toptube joints are part of the critical path (as are the fork and steerer and the stem and bars). Complete failures there almost always involve going over the bars and landing hard, usually on head or shoulder. I've done my lifetime's worth of crashes so I will limit the materials I use there to metals that are likely to bend before complete failure or give warning. Where I cannot, I use cheaper materials and replace those parts fairly often. (Cheaper means I am not "wedded" to getting the most out of it.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-08-19, 06:13 PM
codyB

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
"Carbon forks have handled millions of miles over all kinds of conditions." Yes. But carbon forks have also snapped suddenly at the crown/blade or crown steerer interface. I've had a (non-steel) fork break on me in that fashion. Trust me, it is the one bicycle failure you do not want to happen in this lifetime or your next.

"Every cyclist racing the spring classics over cobbled roads rides a carbon fork." Yes also. But they ride those races on new or near new forks.

"If you worry about a pothole taking your fork out, you might as well worry about the pothole breaking your handlebars, folding your rim, or causing your frame's headtube to separate." All of those are less catastrophic than a CF fork braking at the crown. I bent an aluminum handlebar 30 degrees riding into a New England March pothole (with acar beside me). Trashed many rims on potholes, riding almost all home.

Headtubes and the headtube/downtube/toptube joints are part of the critical path (as are the fork and steerer and the stem and bars). Complete failures there almost always involve going over the bars and landing hard, usually on head or shoulder. I've done my lifetime's worth of crashes so I will limit the materials I use there to metals that are likely to bend before complete failure or give warning. Where I cannot, I use cheaper materials and replace those parts fairly often. (Cheaper means I am not "wedded" to getting the most out of it.)

Ben
Are me and 79pmooney the only people in this thread who live in the U.S. Northeast?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.