Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-19, 09:11 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
This will be short (as I am sure a lot of you will be grateful for), as I am in a sleep deprived state of my own. I understand the logic and practicality of updating a Centurion frame with new modern parts and modifying for weight reduction. It makes sense if you are racing your bike. I am not a racer though. The vintage bikes are fast enough for my low ability. Also, I feel, if they were good enough for LeMond then they are plenty good enough for me to say the least. My Paletti is of that quality. I am coming from the point of view of a lover of the art of the bicycle and a collector who likes to ride. From that stand point it would be bad to use modern parts. I admit that in that sense I am a purist. So neither side is wrong because there are different goals with different ways to achieve them.
I come from a lifetime of loving and messing with hot rod cars. If it was fast it needed to be faster. If it broke you found a stronger part to fix it with. If it was ugly you did something to make it look cool. If you could cram a bigger motor under the hood you dreamed about doing so. The Ironman is like taking a 69 Roadrunner with a 383 and slipping a Hemi in it. That's why one of mine has Dura-Ace with carbon fiber wheels and both of them are 10 speed. The motor is old and tired but attempts to revive it have been less successful.
Old 11-18-19, 09:44 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
I come from a lifetime of loving and messing with hot rod cars. If it was fast it needed to be faster. If it broke you found a stronger part to fix it with. If it was ugly you did something to make it look cool. If you could cram a bigger motor under the hood you dreamed about doing so. The Ironman is like taking a 69 Roadrunner with a 383 and slipping a Hemi in it. That's why one of mine has Dura-Ace with carbon fiber wheels and both of them are 10 speed. The motor is old and tired but attempts to revive it have been less successful.
Old 11-18-19, 09:49 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
If it was ugly you did something to make it look cool.
That would be how I ended up with a '68 F100 pickup in matte black with flames. The paint job was terrible, but it was nicer than aqua green with rust... I miss that truck, but babies take up all the free time.
Old 11-18-19, 11:13 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
Hmm. Flames. Yeah, maybe my rattle-can black '85 F250 diesel needs flames.
Old 11-18-19, 11:54 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Originally Posted by madpogue
Hmm. Flames. Yeah, maybe my rattle-can black '85 F250 diesel needs flames.
It worked for Rosebud. (She came with the paint job, but I saw pictures of before the guy did it.)
Old 11-18-19, 12:18 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
Ooh, and a flareside.... (makes Homer Simpson drool sound).

Bricknose in the background?
Old 11-18-19, 12:43 PM
VintageTTfan

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
For me it's not so much about racing, appearance, or fads....it's more about performance. And since I'm only familiar with '80s bike technology, that's what I gravitate towards. That's probably true for for most, in that the era you started your cycling journey is what you tend to replicate.
Fortunately for Ironman owners stock components were very good and performance oriented.
The heart and soul of a Ironman/bike is its frame. The steel Ironman was built with three things in mind, performance, comfort, and affordability. And in that order is what's important To ME. I Want a bike whose performance only limits are dictated by my condition. And I Need a bike with geometry that is comfortable for at least 112 miles in the saddle. I Have to have a bike that is inexpensive enough that I can ride it hard and put away wet because I may need to purchase another.
Although I loved Lemond and Hinault who were excellent TT players, they were on a team. My idols were time trialist who had only their individual selves to rely on. No team for encouragement, no team car for flat or mechanical repairs, no massage therapist, no personal assistant. Just like me but way more cardio gifted. Dave Scott, Mark Allen, Scott Tinley, Scott Molina, and Mike Pigg come to mind.
I've been under the weather but I'm feeling better now. Sunny day predicted and hopefully I'll be able to post pics of my bikes today.
Well if I look at the issue of "performance" I end up concluding that for my needs all vintage parts and frame are plenty good enough for the kind of riding I do which is riding around town and the occasional twenty miler. If I went 30 or 40 in this kind of San Diego terrain I would still be fine. Shimano and Campy vintage is what I got.....and plenty of quality for my requirements to put it mildly. As you pointed out, Shimano was good back then at all levels and I have 600 tri color on everything and Campy Super Record. so they are way above my skill level. You made a good point that Centurions are affordable and easily enough replaced. That is in their favor because they are also high quality. I admit the higher end makes which I love and have begun to collect are a pain in the ass as far as keeping them in good condition and replacing parts that are rare and expensive. Love of the rare is part of the disease of the collector and I have that disease. I admit it is crazy. It is a lot of fun though hunting for the elusive butterfly.

Appearance does matter to me though because I love the art of the bicycle and that is aesthetics. Some people think that is meaningless or superficial and that is fine. They enjoy what they like and I likewise. I think they lose sight of this tidbit though, which is the fact that Paletti, Colnago, Masi, De Rosa, Somec, 3Rensho, Zunow etc., and yes Centurion (as you know too well) put a huge amount of effort, time, money, and more importantly heart and brilliant design into the aesthetics, art, the way it looks, whatever you want to call it. In the end, I think neither of us is wrong anyway. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your bikes.
Old 11-18-19, 12:52 PM
VintageTTfan

Originally Posted by lostronin

This is my ‘86 Silver and Grey. I switched out the 110mm Nitto stem for a 90mm to tighten up the reach.
That is a nice bike! Beautiful condition. Looks like it was kept in a warehouse. Congrats.
Old 11-18-19, 01:42 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Originally Posted by madpogue
Ooh, and a flareside.... (makes Homer Simpson drool sound).

Bricknose in the background?

Yup, short bed flareside. Next to her is a '92 long bed F150. We used the '92 to pay the mechanic for his work on the '68 before we shipped her to NY.

Not in the picture is the '03 Ranger. We still have it with 96k miles.
Old 11-18-19, 02:49 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I’m one of those who tries to limit my inventory, so I really don’t let myself drift into the true collector mode. But I’m also trying to optimize the quality and fit if my rides. I was able to pick up an Ironman for a tad over a c-note this fall, and I rode it a couple hundred miles, as is, to see if the geometry would work for me - and it really feels great! So . . . my plan is to build it up as my main vintage rider (I also have a CX bike for gravel and general riding) - it will get about 50% of my miles. Because if my age and level of comfort and safety with my bikes, I’ll be removing just about every component on the bike and swapping in a full Dura-Ace 8-speed group with the early shifter brakes. This group will come off of my 1980 Miyata Pro which has been my vintage rider for the past couple years, but which narrowly lost out to the Ironman. While I was OK with the Ironman 105 setup, I feel much safer with the controls at hand. Right now, all the components have been removed from the bike, and I’m trying to find paint to match the colors so I can get the touch-ups done. Then, I’ll reassemble with the D-A pieces. Looking forward to this winter project!

Old 11-18-19, 05:00 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by lostronin

This is my ‘86 Silver and Grey. I switched out the 110mm Nitto stem for a 90mm to tighten up the reach.
Awesome '86 Class-ic.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 11-18-19, 05:10 PM
texaspandj

U=ddeand;21214226]I’m one of those who tries to limit my inventory, so I really don’t let myself drift into the true collector mode. But I’m also trying to optimize the quality and fit if my rides. I was able to pick up an Ironman for a tad over a c-note this fall, and I rode it a couple hundred miles, as is, to see if the geometry would work for me - and it really feels great! So . . . my plan is to build it up as my main vintage rider (I also have a CX bike for gravel and general riding) - it will get about 50% of my miles. Because if my age and level of comfort and safety with my bikes, I’ll be removing just about every component on the bike and swapping in a full Dura-Ace 8-speed group with the early shifter brakes. This group will come off of my 1980 Miyata Pro which has been my vintage rider for the past couple years, but which narrowly lost out to the Ironman. While I was OK with the Ironman 105 setup, I feel much safer with the controls at hand. Right now, all the components have been removed from the bike, and I’m trying to find paint to match the colors so I can get the touch-ups done. Then, I’ll reassemble with the D-A pieces. Looking forward to this winter project!

[/QUOTE]

So very Cool and congratulations on your acquisition.
You're gonna have fun rebuilding and riding, guaranteed.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 11-18-19, 06:41 PM
texaspandj

54cm 1986 6 speed CLASSIC

Dura ace bb,hs,fd,rd,hubs.
600 crankset, brakeset,aero seatpost.
First generation aerobars, and gripshift.
Oem stem and saddle.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 11-18-19, 07:36 PM
texaspandj

54cm 1987 7 speed MIAMI VICE

105/oem Rd,fd,hs,bb,hubs, crankset, brakeset, stem.
600 aero seatpost, scott aerobars, 7 speed gripshift turbo sadlle.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 11-18-19, 07:55 PM
texaspandj

54cm 1988 8 speed Carbon MIDNIGHT RIDER

Dura ace fd, rd, Crankset.
600 tricolor brakeset, hubs.
Oem hs, stem, saddle.
Shimano aero seatpost, scott aerobars, 8 speed gripshift
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 11-18-19, 08:14 PM
texaspandj

52cm 1989 9 speed SUMMERTIME BLUES

Dura ace 7700 bb,fd,rd, crankset, brakeset, brifters.
Oem 600 tricolor hs.
Vetta trishock saddle, Italian stem, 1986 oem seatpost and bars.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 11-18-19, 08:21 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Oem hs, stem, saddle.
I've gotta ask--what's an aero seatpost? I've never heard of it.
Old 11-18-19, 08:35 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
@TriBiker19 , you gotta get one . Notice the flattened out part .

Last edited by markwesti; 11-18-19 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-18-19, 08:49 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Originally Posted by markwesti
@TriBiker19 , you gotta get one . Notice the flattened out part .

I'll look into that! Thanks!
Old 11-18-19, 09:05 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by TriBiker19
I'll look into that! Thanks!
Supposedly Because of narrower top portion it's more "aerodynamic". Also reportedly the less mass at the top allows more air to cool your inner thighs and increase performance. I just think they're C double O L.
Old 11-18-19, 09:16 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Supposedly Because of narrower top portion it's more "aerodynamic". Also reportedly the less mass at the top allows more air to cool your inner thighs and increase performance. I just think they're C double O L.
Those are pretty neat. I had never heard of such a thing.

I'm pretty sure that pure grit is all that's going to get me through my next few races. Because I'm a stubborn gal and I will not DNF.
Old 11-18-19, 09:24 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by TriBiker19
Those are pretty neat. I had never heard of such a thing.

I'm pretty sure that pure grit is all that's going to get me through my next few races. Because I'm a stubborn gal and I will not DNF.
and might as well look good doing it....and of course an Ironman is the first step.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 11-18-19, 09:49 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

and might as well look good doing it....and of course an Ironman is the first step.
It's the only one to ride in such a race. I mean, why else would it share the name?

Disclaimer: I have no desire to do a full. A half is good for me. I would argue that my lower half is an Ironman, the upper is a novelist who has too much free time.
Old 11-18-19, 10:21 PM
VintageTTfan

Oem hs, stem, saddle.
Jesus dude, what are you trying to do? Make us all sick with jealously?!? Ha ha ha.....that thing looks in really good shape....how much does the bike weigh as it is a carbon?
Old 11-18-19, 10:26 PM
texaspandj

After posting the pics of the bikes I own which of course are all Ironman. I realized I missed a lot of details... actually intentionally. Like type of chain, wrap, chainring size, freewheel or cassette.
But the one thing I want to add is: the '86 is pre expert/master, the '87 is my only Expert, the '88 is neither expert nor master but rather Carbon. And finally the '89 is my only Master.
So basically I have one of each ever offered by Centurion. And more than that I think I have my favorite color scheme from each year that I prefer including the Rare Carbon and Summertime Blues color schemes.
All that I have left to complete the straight is an '85 OG preferably (maybe only) in the silver.
Later Ironkids.
Likes For texaspandj:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.