Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cinelli 2nd Gen stem overtightened!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 03:15 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,281 Times in 1,278 Posts

I finally got around to installing some of the original bits on my Medici that I had accumulated over the last several weeks. The most glaring non original part was the handle bars. I think by 1982 my bike would have had black anodized bar and stem with the handle bars having the lions engraved on the front on either side of the 3ttt logos. My bike had a nice set of beautiful GB bars that I think were too early for my bike and did not go well with the black Cinelli stem the was on there. Before I took the bike apart I measured the diameter of the mounting portion of the GB bars and got 25.4mm. The 3ttt bars measured 26mm. Well , there could be a problem! I went ahead and took the tape off and removed the brake levers. Then I started loosening the stem clamp bolt with the 6mm hex wrench. It took some oomph but it finally turned with a squeal . I did not like where this was going! After many turns of the wrench with a lot of pressure the bars were very loose in the stem. This makes getting the bars threaded through easy but I thought the stem would be toast. I cleaned the inside of the stem area with kerosene and looked all around inside and out for cracks. It was ok to my eyes with reading glasses. I was relieved and then the calipers to check the inside diameter, 26mm! I don't know how long the GB bars have been on this Medici but I have put many of miles on it since I got it last year. I have heard of shims in the stem for this problem, but this was the first time I had seen "just tighten it 'till it squeaks" method! Not Recommended but I guess it worked for the last guy? Joe see "Fixing the unbroken Medici" post on joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress

Last edited by Kabuki12; 07-13-20 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-13-20, 03:24 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 409 Posts
10 characters

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I finally got around to installing some of the original bits on my Medici that I had accumulated over the last several weeks. The most glaring non original part was the handle bars. I think by 1982 my bike would have had black anodized bar and stem with the handle bars having the lions engraved on the front on either side of the 3ttt logos. My bike had a nice set of beautiful GB bars that I think were too early for my bike and did not go well with the black Cinelli stem the was on there.

​​​​​​Before I took the bike apart I measured the diameter of the mounting portion of the GB bars and got 25.4mm. The 3ttt bars measured 26mm. Well , there could be a problem! I went ahead and took the tape off and removed the brake levers. Then I started loosening the stem clamp bolt with the 6mm hex wrench. It took some oomph but it finally turned with a squeal . I did not like where this was going! After many turns of the wrench with a lot of pressure the bars were very loose in the stem. This makes getting the bars threaded through easy but I thought the stem would be toast.

I cleaned the inside of the stem area with kerosene and looked all around inside and out for cracks. It was ok to my eyes with reading glasses. I was relieved and then the calipers to check the inside diameter, 26mm! I don't know how long the GB bars have been on this Medici but I have put many of miles on it since I got it last year. I have heard of shims in the stem for this problem, but this was the first time I had seen "just tighten it 'till it speaks" method! Not Recommended but I guess it worked for the last guy?

Joe see "Fixing the unbroken Medici" post on joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress