Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official BF Eroica California 2020 Roll Call!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official BF Eroica California 2020 Roll Call!

Old 07-10-20, 10:21 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Not on your or my life.

"They" don't have a clue and don't seem to care that they don't.
Old 07-12-20, 01:46 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Not on your or my life.

"They" don't have a clue and don't seem to care that they don't.
IMO, that’s a bit unfair to the organizers, Kaori in particular. Like Joe, I had been in contact with Kaori sharing my concerns and like many / all of us, we were learning as we went with this unfolding pandemic. The organizers here in the US were trying to deal with ever changing and unfolding statistics and state mandates. Meanwhile the Italian contingent we’re dealing with a much worse (at the time) outbreak in Italy and Europe.

Each group (and us riders) hoped against hope that maybe it would be safe enough to hold the event but it became clear it was not safe to do so. The late notification didn’t help most of us but I believe most of us have recovered much of the financial costs of cancelling travel and accommodations given the general response of the travel industry (aside from some airlines).

Rescheduling Eroica to end of September was an optimistic try at getting the event in, and California was making reasonable headway with its tough lockdown measures which made that date look maybe possible.

However, the economic and political issues of extended lockdown made partial and full reopenings by most states a “higher” priority than the health concerns. As some may now realize or acknowledge, reopening (and ignoring social distancing and mask guidelines) has unleashed a second wave which is worse than the first wave with higher case rates now and eventually more deaths lagging about 2-5 weeks behind.

this second wave, IMO, will drag into the end of summer and fall, and the next flu season. This likely makes Sept. Eroica untenable and like said above, even April 2021 unlikely, as are most organized rides and event here in California in particular, and the Major US in general. Even the Cino in Montana had to be cancelled and that was much much smaller with a very socially distanced state.

https://www.cinorider.com/

Kaori and the organizing committee are working for literally zero income now, as are many in the country. They are trying to be positive but the pandemic keeps knocking everyone back down. All the major sports are still trying to figure out how to come back without fans and reasonably safe for their player employees, but their business is in the billions of dollars. So scheduling will be subject to state mandates and health concerns, especially if those that travel to and from areas of concern and high case loads like Los Angeles.

Ironically, SLO county has one of the lowest case rates in California and only 4 deaths total so far, all very elderly people. I’m not aware of any cases so far in Cambria but with their population of roughly 33-40% over age 60, and the median age now 61, they would be at particular risk with tourism and events like Eroica importing cases from elsewhere.

So, I believe Eroica September is in jeopardy but not for lack of trying. It just isn’t going to be advisable given the state health issues and general US pandemic issues for the foreseeable future. I think the organizers will also come to that inevitable conclusion within the next few weeks.
Old 07-12-20, 04:45 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by mech986
IMO, that’s a bit unfair to the organizers, Kaori in particular. Like Joe, I had been in contact with Kaori sharing my concerns and like many / all of us, we were learning as we went with this unfolding pandemic. The organizers here in the US were trying to deal with ever changing and unfolding statistics and state mandates. Meanwhile the Italian contingent we’re dealing with a much worse (at the time) outbreak in Italy and Europe.

Each group (and us riders) hoped against hope that maybe it would be safe enough to hold the event but it became clear it was not safe to do so. The late notification didn’t help most of us but I believe most of us have recovered much of the financial costs of cancelling travel and accommodations given the general response of the travel industry (aside from some airlines).

Rescheduling Eroica to end of September was an optimistic try at getting the event in, and California was making reasonable headway with its tough lockdown measures which made that date look maybe possible.

However, the economic and political issues of extended lockdown made partial and full reopenings by most states a “higher” priority than the health concerns. As some may now realize or acknowledge, reopening (and ignoring social distancing and mask guidelines) has unleashed a second wave which is worse than the first wave with higher case rates now and eventually more deaths lagging about 2-5 weeks behind.

this second wave, IMO, will drag into the end of summer and fall, and the next flu season. This likely makes Sept. Eroica untenable and like said above, even April 2021 unlikely, as are most organized rides and event here in California in particular, and the Major US in general. Even the Cino in Montana had to be cancelled and that was much much smaller with a very socially distanced state.

https://www.cinorider.com/

Kaori and the organizing committee are working for literally zero income now, as are many in the country. They are trying to be positive but the pandemic keeps knocking everyone back down. All the major sports are still trying to figure out how to come back without fans and reasonably safe for their player employees, but their business is in the billions of dollars. So scheduling will be subject to state mandates and health concerns, especially if those that travel to and from areas of concern and high case loads like Los Angeles.

Ironically, SLO county has one of the lowest case rates in California and only 4 deaths total so far, all very elderly people. I’m not aware of any cases so far in Cambria but with their population of roughly 33-40% over age 60, and the median age now 61, they would be at particular risk with tourism and events like Eroica importing cases from elsewhere.

So, I believe Eroica September is in jeopardy but not for lack of trying. It just isn’t going to be advisable given the state health issues and general US pandemic issues for the foreseeable future. I think the organizers will also come to that inevitable conclusion within the next few weeks.
Sorry, wasn't really referring to them.

However I work in a hospital and can tell you that the amount of foot dragging, wait and see while we do the bare minimum by all involved is very worrisome.

We here in Oregon have been very lucky imo with the amount of it we have experienced but make no mistake, by the time it lights off, any area involved will be upside down far sooner than than you will believe, their continued lack of foresight and understanding will be critical for many when it hits the fan.

The only saving grace will be the frontline nurses and doctors that selflessly put their lives on the line knowing full well they are under supported and under prepared but still do the right thing.

Like I said, not on your or my life.
Old 07-12-20, 06:43 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
Not to be a wet blanket, but I agree with mech986, there's no way a mass athletic event is happening in CA in 2020. I live in San Luis Obispo and I'm ready to roll if it does, but I'm realistically pessimistic.
Old 07-12-20, 09:15 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 268 Posts
If it does happen I will not be there!

I am maybe a bit paranoid about it, but, check out these statistics and realities, loss of lung and heart capacity and muscle weakness, uhhh, guess I'll just go buy a cheap old sport bike are run it into a bridge at 140 MPH?

Old 07-12-20, 11:08 PM
mech986 

Merziac, sorry if I misread your post. If “they” refers to higher ups in state or federal leadership positions, I whole heartedly agree with you. Having retired as an FP physician 6 years ago but still being heavily involved in managing my handicapped daughter’s healthcare and my general families’ (and 86 y/o mom’s) health care this pandemic is threatening precisely because so many of us and you out there are squarely in the crosshairs of this pandemic.

Oregon has done very very well by responding quickly to the nearby Washington and California outbreaks and the few local outbreaks that you’ve had. California IMO has lost all the gains they had made early on through end of May but with reopening, cases have again accelerated. I personally am aware of many RN’s and Dr’s who are battling Covid in ICU’s, clinics, and homeless population. They and all the support staff are doing everything they can once the patient gets to them. It the “ounce of prevention” that has been sorely lacking and poorly modeled by some in leadership to the detriment of all.

We in the health field are biased towards the living, while others are worried about the economic and political impacts. Frankly, if you’re sick, on a ventilator, dying or dead, the last thing you’re thinking about is money.
Old 07-13-20, 12:59 AM
merziac

Merziac, sorry if I misread your post. If “they” refers to higher ups in state or federal leadership positions, I whole heartedly agree with you. Having retired as an FP physician 6 years ago but still being heavily involved in managing my handicapped daughter’s healthcare and my general families’ (and 86 y/o mom’s) health care this pandemic is threatening precisely because so many of us and you out there are squarely in the crosshairs of this pandemic.

Oregon has done very very well by responding quickly to the nearby Washington and California outbreaks and the few local outbreaks that you’ve had. California IMO has lost all the gains they had made early on through end of May but with reopening, cases have again accelerated. I personally am aware of many RN’s and Dr’s who are battling Covid in ICU’s, clinics, and homeless population. They and all the support staff are doing everything they can once the patient gets to them. It the “ounce of prevention” that has been sorely lacking and poorly modeled by some in leadership to the detriment of all.

We in the health field are biased towards the living, while others are worried about the economic and political impacts. Frankly, if you’re sick, on a ventilator, dying or dead, the last thing you’re thinking about is money.
No worries Doc, I was probably vague at best.

Our response seemed good because it never lit off here for real.

Next thing you know the very small curve we had leveled off and soon thereafter we are back to business as usual for the most part.

After the pathetic exercise we went through, they are not about to let that happen again and I believe the death toll will have go up alot before we get it together, at which time it will be too late for too many.
Old 07-13-20, 06:19 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
If it does happen I will not be there!

I am maybe a bit paranoid about it, but, check out these statistics and realities, loss of lung and heart capacity and muscle weakness, uhhh, guess I'll just go buy a cheap old sport bike are run it into a bridge at 140 MPH?

You Post seems very misleading. 1% of 328 Million is alot, I can agree with you there, but chances of Every single American contracting the Covid -19 virus is pushing it. There is no way everyone in America is coming down with the Virus and getting sick.

Currently the Covid 19 virus is only slightly more than 2% Deadlier than the Seasonal Flu, and thats including the "inflated" death numbers that are attributed to the Covid 19.
Old 07-13-20, 07:10 PM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I don’t think any of us want to risk ANY lives for this event. I also would like to think that the organizers feel the same way and I do believe that. I hope you guys are getting in regular rides as I am . As I pedal along I think about all of you whom I have met at every one of these events and the great times we have had. I met some very nice folks and rode with a few of you through the back roads and vineyards of Central California when we were in Paso Robles and our learning curve in Cambria. I can’t wait to do it again for more of those memories. It will happen exactly when it needs to and we will have a great time . I look forward to that time , whenever that is. Joe
Old 07-16-20, 07:50 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Got a email that Italy will have eroica events in Aug. Sept. and Oct. with new rules regulations etc. with travel complicated, maybe Eroica Inc. will allow CA To put on the event.
Old 07-16-20, 10:35 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Got a email that Italy will have eroica events in Aug. Sept. and Oct. with new rules regulations etc. with travel complicated, maybe Eroica Inc. will allow CA To put on the event.
I got the same email and found it interesting on how they are managing the Gaiole event by splitting the rides across two days. I would suspect that they will also stagger the start times as the congestion to get started on the ride would not meet social distance guidelines without staggering people.

I would suspect that the CA organizers are looking at all of the alternatives to allow the event to occur.
Old 07-17-20, 01:35 AM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 315 Posts
Italy is currently reporting between 100 and 300 new cases per day. These low numbers are what will allow Italy's Eroica events to proceed with their new measures. However, California's rate is now 15,000-20,000 new cases per day and rising. There is no way Eroica should give the green light to Eroica Cali.
Old 07-17-20, 08:04 AM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad L
Italy is currently reporting between 100 and 300 new cases per day. These low numbers are what will allow Italy's Eroica events to proceed with their new measures. However, California's rate is now 15,000-20,000 new cases per day and rising. There is no way Eroica should give the green light to Eroica Cali.
Yes, this is true, and CA is trending in the wrong direction.

I think it is unlikely that the event will occur this year.

Doing the Italian event might actually be safer, even with the risk of air travel, provided that Italy allows American visitors in the fall.
Old 07-17-20, 01:47 PM
Kabuki12

Eroica California will announce soon that it is cancelled. A fellow on Classic Rendezvous got a text early today.
Old 07-22-20, 01:50 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
Eroica 2020 Postponed to 2021:

​​​​​​After the first rescheduling in April, together with local partners, we have decided to postpone further the next edition of Eroica California.

Above all, we do not want to add more tension in an already very complex context. Instead, from now on, we want to focus on the 2021 event that will once again cover the roads of Central Coast.

We are deeply sorry for any inconvenience and complication that this decision may imply for all of you who were already registered for the 2020 event, but the reasons for this decision are, we believe, clear and robust:

The main reason is to protect all the participants and visitors of Eroica California, as well as the citizens of Cambria, Cayucos and San Simeon, against the risk of a resurgence of the pandemic at some moment in fall 2020.

We also want to guarantee the international participation that has characterized our event since its very first edition. Obviously, such broad attendance, the hallmark of Eroica California, will remain unfeasible in the coming months.

And in case one more reason was needed, we cannot stop taking care of our essence and trying to maintain the inner nature of Eroica California. Beyond the cycling ride and the stunning landscapes of Central Coast, what we all seek in this event is to live special moments of full friendship around a good wine. Strict compliance with health protocols, which in principle will remain in place until the end of 2020, would profoundly distort this experience.

What it means for your race entry:
You are already registered for the 2021 edition.
Financially and per our regulations, we simply are not in a position to offer entry refunds. Doing so would close Eroica California doors for good as much of the overhead of staying afloat as we lead into an event is dependent on race entry revenue..
By handling things this way, we will be able to apply your entry fee to the same event you registered for, just at its future date--currently, the 2021 edition of Eroica California
Transfers:
If you wish to transfer your existing Eroica California entry to another person, we will be happy to transfer it from September 2020, by simply sending to registration@eroicacalifornia.com your request.
Old 07-22-20, 03:10 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
Looks like a secondary market for Eroica 2021 registration will come up.
Old 07-22-20, 06:17 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 343 Posts
In March, I would have said that of course there will be a 2021 Eroica, regardless of what happens in 2020. Now I'm not so sure. This is purely a wild-ass guess, but I'd now put the April of 2021 chances at maybe 50-50. So no matter what actually happens, I can at least plausibly claim to have predicted it.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 07-23-20, 09:19 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 205 Posts
And I was just about to start my 10 week training program to get ready for this one (out of purely stubborn optimism). now i can save it for next spring! I will still take my Masi out to keep it interesting, but I am about to take delivery of a new CF bike, so that will likely be my primary ride for the time being.
Old 07-23-20, 05:47 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
And I was just about to start my 10 week training program to get ready for this one (out of purely stubborn optimism). now i can save it for next spring!
...and you can sit on the couch consuming bonbons to your hearts content!
Old 07-23-20, 06:53 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
And I was just about to start my 10 week training program to get ready for this one (out of purely stubborn optimism). now i can save it for next spring! I will still take my Masi out to keep it interesting, but I am about to take delivery of a new CF bike, so that will likely be my primary ride for the time being.
Just cover the Masi and put it on the trickle charger. The new bike looks beyond interesting. I hope you don't mind.

And jonwvara 50/50 is fine I guess since half the fun is selecting and preparing the Eroica Bike.
Old 07-24-20, 05:32 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Just cover the Masi and put it on the trickle charger. The new bike looks beyond interesting. I hope you don't mind.

And jonwvara 50/50 is fine I guess since half the fun is selecting and preparing the Eroica Bike.
Classtime better be careful; that bike will have 2 of the 4 things you don't do! my first bike with either disks or electronic shifting... I am going to the dark side! next it will be an E-bike, I am getting old after all!
There will be a NBD thread this weekend!
Old 07-28-20, 05:44 AM
mech986 

Stay safe everyone. Protect your health, wear a mask, ride when able and safe, and hopefully you'll be able to speculate on the 2021 Eroica California being held.
Old 08-04-20, 02:00 AM
mech986 

As if Cambria didn't have enough to deal with, what with Covid-19 forcing cancellation of Eroica California 2020, and the decline in tourism, a nice kitchen shop called A Matter of Taste burned a few days ago due to a pickup truck hitting their outside gas line, shearing off the valve, and causing an inside fire. It was kitty-corner to Linn's Restaurant and next door to the French Bakery on Main and Burton and across the street from the Chevron station. Luckily, they were able to control the fire, and eventually the gas company was able to shut down the gas feed line from another location. No one was hurt but the business is a total loss. The owners, still in shock, said they had good insurance, and hopefully that and the auto insurance helps defray some of the cost of salvage and hopefully rebuilding.

If you are in the area, please stop nearby and support the other local businesses and if any donation systems become available, I'll try to follow up.

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/l...244672502.html

Old 08-04-20, 04:34 AM
Kabuki12

As if Cambria didn't have enough to deal with, what with Covid-19 forcing cancellation of Eroica California 2020, and the decline in tourism, a nice kitchen shop called A Matter of Taste burned a few days ago due to a pickup truck hitting their outside gas line, shearing off the valve, and causing an inside fire. It was kitty-corner to Linn's Restaurant and next door to the French Bakery on Main and Burton and across the street from the Chevron station. Luckily, they were able to control the fire, and eventually the gas company was able to shut down the gas feed line from another location. No one was hurt but the business is a total loss. The owners, still in shock, said they had good insurance, and hopefully that and the auto insurance helps defray some of the cost of salvage and hopefully rebuilding.

If you are in the area, please stop nearby and support the other local businesses and if any donation systems become available, I'll try to follow up.

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/l...244672502.html

Thank you for the info. It is sad as I love this little town. My wife and I have been going up there for extended weekends and camping adventures since we were young. I hope they make a recovery for their loss, it is a hard time indeed for this tourist town and although there is never a good time for something like this , it is particularly sad. Joe
Old 10-02-20, 05:30 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 319 Posts
No L'Eroica 2020, No problem. Since some of us still had Reservations in Cambria ,A few of us went ahead and drove out to Cambria and did the Piedras Blancas Route to the Lighthouse.

We ALL abided by the Covid guidelines and did the social distancing thing , so No need to comment about that. Masks were removed for pictures.

We headed out on Highway 1 and we were provided with a cheese , deli and Wine at theLighthouse turnaround by our buddy Glenn.

We had a Peugeot , A Windsor , a Schwinn Paramount and a Killer original red Sannino.

Likes For Manny66:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.