Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What are your favorite cutters?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What are your favorite cutters?

Old 09-12-20, 09:29 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by crankholio
Oof...nails with the D2000? I've got some Knipex 71-41-200 compact bolt cutters that I use on small bolts if needed, and that's probably what I'd use for nails if I ever cut nails. I can't imagine the D2000 going through a nail without damaging the blades. I've been using cutters like the D2000 for a long time, mostly for car stereo installations, speaker installs, alarm installs, and they've worked great for that. When I started working on bicycles, I used this style of cutter because it was the only style I knew of. But it does seem like it's time to get a better/proper tool.

That's ummm... what the D2000 are specifically for-- demo work. Directly from Klein: "D2000 Diagonal Cutters are ideal for cutting ACSR, screws, nails, and most hardened wire."

I've never used my D2000s to cut small-gauge stranded wire. Because they're not made for that. I have strippers, crimpers, and side cutters designed specifically for stranded wire.
Old 09-16-20, 06:44 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
KC tool has the Knipex as the deal of the day today, Wednesday the 16th until midnight.

https://www.kctoolco.com/tool-of-the-day/
Old 03-28-21, 11:53 AM
WalterVandervor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The pair of Knipex diagonal cutters is an excellent tool to cut wires frequently. It has a specially-designed high-leverage axle, which reduces cutting force requirements by 20%. In my experience, my hands weren’t as sore when I used this in a wire installation project I worked on.
Old 03-28-21, 12:25 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Save your money go to Menards or Home Depot and buy cutting pliers. There are a variety of types I manage to find a Master Force Cable cutter at Menards for $12. They do the same thing as any bike specific tool and all of them need to have the housing end opened a bit with an awl. Then you can smooth out anything rough with sandpaper for smooth shifting.
The awl that all bike mechanics have already on hand and that works well is the sharpened spoke. Here in Portland, called "pokey tools". Bend in a handle. A lot of us staple a couple of inches of cable housing to our tool board and stick the tool in.