Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Introductions

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Introductions

Old 09-21-20, 06:40 PM
Indytriumph

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Prologue, 2016 Felt Z5, 2022 Vaast A/1, 2023 STS ADVNTR PRO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 18 Posts
Introductions

I just wanted to introduce myself, since I am new to this Forum.
My name is Thomas and I am from central Indiana. I just finished my first touring trip of 1000 miles. I did a few things that was on my to do list, like the Katy Trail in Missouri. I have to say that I am hooked, I loved every minute of the trip. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone here and to learn from you.

Tom
Old 09-21-20, 07:48 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Welcome to the forum! If you’ve done a thousand miles on tour, you are already half way to being an expert.

What would you do differently on your next tour?
Old 09-22-20, 05:08 PM
Indytriumph

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Prologue, 2016 Felt Z5, 2022 Vaast A/1, 2023 STS ADVNTR PRO

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 18 Posts
I was uncertain how available food would be because of Covoid. So I brought with me some dehydrated meals and a stove. Turned out I never needed any of it. I learned that unless I am in a very remote area, I wont need those things.
Old 09-22-20, 05:17 PM
schoolboy2 
Easily Led Astray

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek Domane 5.2, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I usually carry one meal with me just in case a planned on restaurant or store has closed. The one time I didn't do that, I arrived at my destination to learn that the restaurant I planned to dine at was closed for the day. Fortunately some adjoining campers had made a mega dinner and invited me to join them.

What else would you change for your next tour?
Old 09-22-20, 07:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,472 Times in 7,312 Posts
Originally Posted by schoolboy2
I usually carry one meal with me just in case a planned on restaurant or store has closed. The one time I didn't do that, I arrived at my destination to learn that the restaurant I planned to dine at was closed for the day. Fortunately some adjoining campers had made a mega dinner and invited me to join them.

What else would you change for your next tour?
Yep. Unless I am certain there will be an available food source I always have pasta, garlic and olive oil with me for an emergency meal.

One day while touring in CO I made the decision to go off route a bit to shop in a town with a good grocery store and carry supplies for about 10 miles rather than rely on the small store near my intended campground. Good thing I did, because when I passed the small store I learned that it had burned to the ground a few weeks earlier.
Old 10-03-20, 12:08 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Or riding through Amish country on a Sunday. Detoured into Berlin for food and everything was closed. Even the tourist traps. I found a Dollar General open at the edge of town. And that store became my go to for the rest of the trip. And I always carried something with me henceforth.