Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Anyone done a DIY clickstand?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-17, 10:00 PM
Hisamatsu

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Click-Stand Home Page

I want one, but the guy making it won't be back doing them for a while.

Anyone tried making one themselves?
Old 05-09-17, 04:47 AM
mrveloman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, I had an old tent pole that I converted to one. Only has two pieces so is long. Just did it to see if I could. Much better to order one if you can. Hardest part is making the end to hold the top tube. I ended up using some pieces of PVC pipe
Old 05-09-17, 05:57 AM
DCwom

Bikes: Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Sort of, I just use a Velcro strap from Home Depot around the front brake lever and I can lean the bike against almost anything. Unless I was in an open field I wouldn't bother with the folding pole myself.
Old 05-09-17, 07:05 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by DCwom
Sort of, I just use a Velcro strap from Home Depot around the front brake lever and I can lean the bike against almost anything. Unless I was in an open field I wouldn't bother with the folding pole myself.
Ditto this. It also has the advantage of making theft much more difficult. I know this because sometimes I forget it's on and try to ride away.
Old 05-09-17, 07:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the U fork at the top to cradle the top tube will be a bit less simple. rubberized to not chip paint.

OP you can try .. without having any one for peer support

I built a rear wheel lifting stand for my bike when I had access to a proper shop and materials ,..

Old 05-09-17, 10:08 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
I made one, actually finished it a few weeks ago. On my latest touring bike, I did not want to use a kickstand like on my other bikes. Thus, I was looking for other options.

I did not want to put a U shape cradle under my sloping top tube, I was concerned it would slide on the tube. My seat stays come together where they are welded to the seat tube, sort of an inverted three legged pocket. Thus, I can stick a small diameter pole into that pocket. But not all frames are made that way, fortunately mine is.

I bought an 11mm diameter Aluminum tent pole on Ebay, to be shipped from China. And a couple trekking pole rubber feet that would fit on the ends, also Ebay from China, one for each end. Reason I got two trekking pole feet is that I used a rubber tip where the pole goes against the bike frame because I did not want a metal pole to damage the finish. The 11 mm pole was five sections, total length of about six feet. I cut each section (all five sections) to shorter lengths. I wanted it to fit in my handlebar bag, that is 9.5 inches wide. That is why I bought such a long tent pole, to get five sections so that each section could be short enough that when folded up it fits in my handlebar bag. (Wrap a rubber band around it when folded, I have no bracket for it.)

What I did was not fast, so you might not want to do it. Stuff from China often takes a month to arrive, sometimes more, so this might not be your preferred option. But I explained what I did anyway in case you can think of other material sources.

I do not have any photos, maybe I can post one later. The key here is that I am not using the U shaped thing, so if your frame is not built like mine where I can put the end of a pole in against the seatstays, then my pole would not work for you.

For my brake lever strap, I have in the past used two sided velcro (photo attached), also have used elastic bands that women use for their hair. And have also used a knotted bunge cord. The Velcro, I store it on the handlebar by wrapping it around itself.

ADDENDUM ADDED SIX HOURS LATER:

First photo, as noted above this shows my velcro parking brake. (Two sided velcro.)

Second photo shows my home made substitute for a clickstand and how it fits under the seatstay and seattube welds. (I do not call it a clickstand, I assume that is trademarked.)

Third photo shows my stand folded up. As noted above I wanted it shorter than 9.5 inchs so it would easily fit in my handlebar bag.

Additional note: One of the trekking pole rubber tips, I sanded off three sides of it to make it more triangular, that fits better against the seattube and seatstays. You can see some of that in the third photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP2935.jpg (97.3 KB, 373 views)
20IMGP0339.jpg (100.0 KB, 348 views)
20IMGP0342.jpg (97.4 KB, 343 views)

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 05-09-17 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-09-17, 10:29 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Hisamatsu
Click-Stand Home Page

I want one, but the guy making it won't be back doing them for a while.

Anyone tried making one themselves?
It is still May 9 here in the USA...if I'm reading his site right, if you get your order in today (next 12 hours) your order should be in queue to get done before he shuts done for the summer
Old 05-09-17, 10:30 AM
Hisamatsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN

I bought an 11mm diameter Aluminum tent pole on Ebay, to be shipped from China. And a couple trekking pole rubber feet that would fit on the ends, also Ebay from China, one for each end. Reason I got two trekking pole feet is that I used a rubber tip where the pole goes against the bike frame because I did not want a metal pole to damage the finish. The 11 mm pole was five sections, total length of about six feet. I cut each section (all five sections) to shorter lengths. I wanted it to fit in my handlebar bag, that is 9.5 inches wide. That is why I bought such a long tent pole, to get five sections so that each section could be short enough that when folded up it fits in my handlebar bag. (Wrap a rubber band around it when folded, I have no bracket for it.)
I can probably source tent poles somewhere locally and cut them to length. Tried looking around and couldn't find a source of aluminum tube that are shorter than tent poles. Is it as strong as the one from clickstand?
Old 05-09-17, 10:33 AM
Hisamatsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
It is still May 9 here in the USA...if I'm reading his site right, if you get your order in today (next 12 hours) your order should be in queue to get done before he shuts done for the summer
o.O, good point. Didn't even realize it hasn't past the date yet.
Old 05-09-17, 10:36 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
o.O, good point. Didn't even realize it hasn't past the date yet.
I'll admit....I submitted my order before telling you

One of my roadie mates has a click-stand and I've been meaning to get one for over a year....only just got my touring/unpavement build done...and the click-stand completely skipped past my radar of needed things.
Old 05-09-17, 11:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

I can probably source tent poles somewhere locally and cut them to length. Tried looking around and couldn't find a source of aluminum tube that are shorter than tent poles. Is it as strong as the one from clickstand?
I have no idea how strong the click stand is but mine is good enough. He uses 11 mm for his heavy duty one, I used 11 mm tent pole. But the wall thickness or alloy composition could be different so his 11 mm and my 11 mm might differ.

If you are going to order one of his, I won't bother taking a photo of mine.
Old 05-09-17, 11:35 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
the U fork at the top to cradle the top tube will be a bit less simple. rubberized to not chip paint.
Spray on bedliner or plasti-dip. Or, old tube cut up and taped on.
Old 05-09-17, 01:14 PM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
You could save yourself the money and just lean the bike up against a tree/building/etc and snap away your photo. I've did it that way for ages and will continue to do it that way. If you want the really impressive photos you need to be on the bike riding it with someone else taking the photo anyways.
Old 05-10-17, 08:37 AM
kabt53

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, dropbar commuter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't the front wheel flop over and take the bike down? (with the clickstand, I mean)
Old 05-10-17, 08:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
aluminum tube, 6061 T6 is available , you got the internet, to get it.
2 sizes to sleeve in side each other..

with the brake On the front wheel wont roll, dont want the fork and wheel to turn? , tie it up

with a strap around it and the down tube..

(a loop of elastic from the valve stem around the frame and back , perhaps?)

Old 05-10-17, 09:06 AM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used an old (broken) collapsible fishing pole. It flexes a little but can actually take a pretty heavy load before breaking.
Old 05-10-17, 11:07 AM
Hisamatsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Spray on bedliner or plasti-dip. Or, old tube cut up and taped on.
Sugru would work too

Originally Posted by kabt53
Doesn't the front wheel flop over and take the bike down? (with the clickstand, I mean)
As long as the brakes are applied and held it won't go anywhere even if flopped over.
Old 05-10-17, 12:17 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kabt53
I've never had the bike fall over even while loading/unloading a 4 x pannier load. It comes with a couple "Brake Bands" that lock the brakes and keep the bike from rolling. I've been using the same pole for about 7,000 miles and haven't had a problem.
Old 05-10-17, 06:53 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Bamboo?
Old 05-11-17, 02:42 PM
spinnered

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It isn't very hard to make one. I made this one about 5 years ago. It is a two piece design that fits perfectly in my pannier or just velcro it to the frame somewhere.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A648lRTCAAE92sv.jpg
Old 05-16-17, 03:50 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Look for a shooting stick, which is basically a simple, generally telescoping aluminum monopod for a rifle. Usually has a rubberized wide v groove to set the rifle's forend in while shooting. The groove is often fairly wide to accommodate certain rifles and should handle even a big aluminum top tube. Some double as a monopod for a camera, so the v part is attached with a 1/4x20 screw. Might even get lucky and find one just the right length to use as is. I've also seen the shooting top offered with a telescoping hiking pole, which had the secondary benefit of a textured carbide tip that can make its own divot in ice or rock to stay put.
Old 05-17-17, 07:47 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think Zpacks.com sells carbon tent poles. Somebody out there does custom Alum poles. Don't know the source.

I just looked through my pile of thin tiny bungies. I found one that the hooks will hook to a spoke and then around the down tube. I taped the exposed metal to not scratch the rims. And it hooks nicely to the front rack to keep it on the bicycle. The velcro strap for extension cords sounds good also. Look in the plumbing dept for a C shaped hook with a tab that could be taped to the end of a pole and would fit the round tube of a bicycle. It's used to hang pipes from the basement joists. Or try a J hook.

Last edited by Squeezebox; 05-17-17 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-16-20, 11:55 PM
Dudeman1978
Bike Nut

Bikes: 2010 Scott Sportster P55 Hybrid Custom build, not much left from factory.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen some pretty scary comments on here, I just pray some of you are kidding. Anyways, I've worn out more than a few tents over the years, but I always keep them around. The old poles can be used for ton's of things and right here is a perfect example. I have a few that had some pretty hefty poles that are perfect for this, some fiberglass that you could take the metal fittings off and cut the sections to whatever length you'd like and put the fittings back on the ends to join them. If you're lucky you may even salvage a little shock-cord that's still got a little life left in it to keep all your pieces together. I suppose for the ends that's up to the person making it, if you want to spend a little cash you can pick up some trekking pole ends at an outdoor outfitters or maybe amazon....Me, I'll probably look around and see what I've got hanging around, I'm sure there's 1000 different ways to make a pretty decent, working Clickstand with a little bit of creativity and an old tent. If you're any good with a sewing machine, most tent fabrics make great gear bags. Any time I get a new piece of gear for camping, backpacking, whatever, I make a custom sized bag to pack it in. Once you get good at it you can even get some webbing and buckles cheap from the craft section at Wal-Mart and make compression sacks for tents and sleeping bags, jackets....I've gotten a little off subject from the original post, but basically all I'm saying is, 1. Don't throw out your old gear, you never know what else you could make out of it, 2. I saw the clickstand on youtube yesterday and thought it was pretty cool, and surprisingly the thought of making one never really occurred to me until I saw this thread when I was looking them up, so thanx to everyone who weighed in with useful information
Old 09-17-20, 01:17 AM
Tourist in MSN

Three year old thread resurrected.