Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Having trouble setting up 10 speed derailleur shifting

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-19, 09:57 AM
erina2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

I'm converting a vintage Nishiki Prestige to 10 speed with parts I got from Performance clearance sale. I have a set of older Shimano STI 10 speed shifters, new 10sp cassette, 10sp chain, used but ok condition 10sp front chain rings and a Shimano 9 speed long cage rear derailleur.

Everything is installed and working ok (rode 20 miles on it yesterday) but I'm having trouble getting the shifting just right. A little worried the 9 speed derailleur isn't playing well with 10sp drive train but I've read on here that it should work. I can get "sets" of gears working, like the first and last 3 but not the middle, or the middle but not the first three, etc.

This is my first bike build and first time dealing with a higher speed drivetrain so maybe there is something I'm overlooking or a method I don't know? Suggestions appreciated! Thanks!
Old 12-29-19, 10:17 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
How did the rear hub fit? Did you have to spread the dropouts? If so, did you realign the derailleur hanger?
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 12-29-19, 10:34 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Which exact model 10 speed shifters did you buy? Tiagra 4700 10 speed shifters for example will not work properly with any 9 or 10 speed derailleur other than Tiagra 4700
Old 12-29-19, 12:23 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
A 9-speed Shimano rear derailleur will work fine with any Shimano 10-speed road shifter except Tiagra 4700. I'm currently using an Ultegra RD-6500 GS rear derailleur (9-speed group) with a Shimano 10-speed shifter, cassette and chain and it works perfectly.

I expect yours is an adjustment issue and I recommend starting the rear shifting set-up from scratch. Disconnect the shift cable at the rear derailleur, set the limit screws properly, shift the shifter to the smallest cog position, reattach the cable and adjust the cable tension until it shifts properly all across the cassette.

One more thought, is your cassette firmly fastened to the freehub body, i.e. does the lockring clamp it firmly? If you left out the required 1 mm spacer behind the cassette it won't be locked in place properly and shifting will suffer.
Old 12-29-19, 12:38 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
What is the condition of the shift cable and housing, especially the lower loop going to the rear derailleur? High cog count systems are sensitive to cable friction.
Old 12-29-19, 01:58 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Does the chain have any " kinks" in it ?

Or places that are " frozen "...hard to bend ?
Old 12-29-19, 09:22 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Which exact model 10 speed shifters did you buy? Tiagra 4700 10 speed shifters for example will not work properly with any 9 or 10 speed derailleur other than Tiagra 4700
I'm not seeing any reply to this very pertinent question. If you spread the rear end from 120 or 126 mm to 130 mm, the dropouts will be out of parallel. They need to be realigned, mainly to eliminate bending stress on the rear axle, and secondarily, to get the derailleur hanger reasonably in line. After aligning the dropouts, the wheel should be installed and the hanger aligned using the derailleur hanger alignment tool, to ensure proper indexing.
Old 12-30-19, 10:20 AM
erina2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everyone. I MAY have found the problem - I had the downtube housing stops installed backwards resulting in a bend in the cable! I also didn't replace the lower loop of shifter cable so I will do that as well.

The hub was a tight fit, but I didn't have to cold-set the frame and the derailleur hanger and dropout on cassette side look parallel. Non drive side dropout might be a bit off.

Shifters are Ultegra 6600, old but functional.
Old 12-30-19, 12:16 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by erina2
the derailleur hanger and dropout on cassette side look parallel. Non drive side dropout might be a bit off.
”Looks” parallel means almost nothing. Once you get up into 10 speed, alignment is very important, and there is no way in hell you can eyeball it.

Check the derailleur hangar alignment with a alignment tool.

Go ahead and deal with the issues you mention, but if that does not fix it, invest in an alignment tool before spending money on anything else.
Old 01-09-20, 02:16 PM
erina2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks again everyone, it seems to be working ok now. I'll definitely see if I can borrow an alignment tool anyway to check that. In case anyone else has this problem, one thing that helped was ziptie-ing the cable at the point where it leaves the frame for the rear bit of cable housing. It was bending pretty hard on its own which I guess didn't matter so much in the 80's.