Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

105 $3000 Bikes: Endurace - Domane - Pinarello Gan Disk K

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-25-20, 04:52 PM
hydrationnation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Some background: I am pretty new to the road bike sector, but I did a ton of testrides and pretty much know what I want (and dont want ).
I started a thread about 4 weeks ago to start my search and the guys really helped me out. Know I am on the next stage.
I skipped the Trek Domane SL5 because it felt sluggish in comparison to other bikes.
I bought a Canyon Endurace CF SL 7.0 and the only thing I dont like about the bike is that it is a bit stiff. Some more comfort would be nice.
I saw the Pinarello Gan Disk 105 online... my local bike shop carries Pinarello, but everything is sold out. So no testride.
How does the Gan compare to the Domane and the Endurace?

Budget is $3000 max.
My LBSs carry: Trek, Giant, Specialized, Pinarello, BMC.
Bikes that I already scratched from my list: all Giants, Emonda, Domane. The base Roubaix that I drove had too much power in the shock (no adjustement shock). It felt like it can catapult me out of the saddle.
I ride between 20km and 40km; 3 times a week... only flats.
180cm - 85kg
Old 05-25-20, 05:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by hydrationnation
I bought a Canyon Endurace CF SL 7.0 ....
Why buy an additional bike of the same type? For N+1 why not add something different, maybe a gravel or fixie? Have some variety!
Old 05-25-20, 05:56 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
More comfort? In what way? Did you ride a lot before getting this bike? Or have you just recently started cycling in a more serious way than riding around the block every great once-in-awhile?

If those bikes were within a size or two of the correct size, I'd think they'd be comfortable. But if you are an older 50 y.o. plus person just getting into the sport, well there ya-go. My old body doesn't readily adjust to new things like it did when I was very much younger. You just need to ride more and more often.

However if you are experienced and fit, might be that the Canyon just isn't the geometry you want for long rides. I find the fitter I am, the lower I want to be. So if you are similar, then maybe you need a lower stack. So a racing fit might actually be more comfortable as you will arrive at the end of a 100 mile ride with many more watts left to use than you will on a endurance fit that puts you less aero and using more energy. Endurance fit is more a marketing thing IMO. It simply lets you know what bikes are less aggressive in the cyclist positioning with regards to being areo and a few other things. I see bikes marketed for endurance more as a short mileage bike. Though for those riding x-country with panniers and carrying lots of weight in them, they will be slower anyhow so being in an aero position wouldn't save a lot of watts.
Old 05-25-20, 06:01 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
What kind of tire pressure are you running? Tire size?
Old 05-25-20, 06:46 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
$3k seems high for a 105 bike IMO...
Likes For puma1552:
Old 05-25-20, 07:28 PM
matt92037

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Are you going to return the Canyon? Probably best since they have a decent return policy.

i would call Excel Sports on this deal. I have a C3 with Dura Ace and is a fast bike The C5 Is prob 16.5lbs and even faster. My C3 is a very smooth ride with 28’s.

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...jor=1&minor=35
Old 05-25-20, 08:15 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2020 S-Works Roubaix (Zipp 303 NSW), 2020 Canyon Ultimate Evo 10.0 (DT Swiss DICUT 1100), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2018 S-Works Camber, 2019 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
I’m surprised at your impression of the Canyon. I don’t find mine to be much more stiff than most road bikes. In fact, the fork absorbs road chatter pretty well. I think you may be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Overall fitness and flexibility will contribute greatly to your comfort. The few times where I’ve gone on hiatus from riding, I’ve had all kinds of pain, discomfort, numbness on my bikes getting back. After a few weeks in the saddle, they all become comfortable against the weirdness goes away.

Where are you feeling stiffness in the frame? What tire pressure are you running and what tires?
Old 05-25-20, 10:05 PM
hydrationnation

I run 5k to marathon races. Dont worry.
My wife owns a Domane. I can directly compare the Endurace to the Domane on the same roads. Night and Day.
I have no numbness or pain.
700 28mm front 70psi - back 80psi
yes, the Canyon is returnable.

Again I am looking for some input on the comparison GAN - Endurace/Domane.
Old 05-25-20, 10:13 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I can't see how anything can give you a harsh ride on 28mm tyres unless the tyres or road are really bad.
I went from a Domane to a Defy and it does have a more lively feel to it but not as soft riding.
It is still very comfortable though and I prefer it.
Old 05-25-20, 10:27 PM
hydrationnation

Originally Posted by Dean V
I can't see how anything can give you a harsh ride on 28mm tyres unless the tyres or road are really bad.
I went from a Domane to a Defy and it does have a more lively feel to it but not as soft riding.
It is still very comfortable though and I prefer it.
It's not harsh. It has just more stiffness and I try to find a good mix for me.
IMO between the Domane and the Defy is not much.
Probably from all bikes I rode, the Defy came the closest to the Domane.
Old 05-25-20, 10:53 PM
hydrationnation

At running I test run all shoes I can get my hands on. I want the optimum shoe for me, because I know for how many hours they are "my partner". How much joy or pain they can cause.
Luckly I got a hand on Adidas Enegry boost pretty early. It was THE shoe for me for a long time.
Then adidas released the Ultra boost. "the perfect running shoe".... the inital design was a total mess for runners. It was a sneaker, but not a running shoe.
Some model years and design changes later it is THE PERFECT running (training) shoe for me. For races I still use adizero boston (up to 1/2 marathon).
All the Nikes...(Pegasus, Fly,...).. are not for me. But for somebody else they are the perfect shoe.

I am looking to find the perfect bike for me. And when I say "the Domane feels sluggish"... "the Endurace feels a bit stiff" ... I dont say the bikes are bad...they are just not the perfect bikes for me.
... and this is why I asked how the pinarello gan compares to these two.
btw, I dont have a lbs that carries cervello.

I know for how many hours this bike will be "my partner".
Please no "you cant compare a running shoe to a bike" response. ty
Old 05-26-20, 02:49 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
With these requirements I'd say paint color is probably going to be the deciding factor.
Likes For znomit:
Old 05-26-20, 03:59 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Some background: I am pretty new to the road bike sector, but I did a ton of testrides and pretty much know what I want (and dont want ).
I started a thread about 4 weeks ago to start my search and the guys really helped me out. Know I am on the next stage.
I skipped the Trek Domane SL5 because it felt sluggish in comparison to other bikes.
I bought a Canyon Endurace CF SL 7.0 and the only thing I dont like about the bike is that it is a bit stiff. Some more comfort would be nice.
I saw the Pinarello Gan Disk 105 online... my local bike shop carries Pinarello, but everything is sold out. So no testride.
How does the Gan compare to the Domane and the Endurace?

Budget is $3000 max.
My LBSs carry: Trek, Giant, Specialized, Pinarello, BMC.
Bikes that I already scratched from my list: all Giants, Emonda, Domane. The base Roubaix that I drove had too much power in the shock (no adjustement shock). It felt like it can catapult me out of the saddle.
180cm - 85kg
Why spend 3k for max 120km on flats a week?
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 05-26-20, 05:22 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
I'll agree with the above few posts. You probably don't have enough cycling experience to make an informed decision. What you are experiencing is "buyer's remorse." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buyer%27s_remorse Your bike is fine. Relax and enjoy it!
Old 05-26-20, 07:13 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I spent some time composing some helpful advice/info, but decided to scratch it. You seem to have some very particular preferences despite not having much knowledge or experience (and usage plans that aren't terribly demanding) and you're limiting your search to only what your LBSs carry. Between these two factors, I don't see why you're seeking advice online. I don't think that anyone here is going to be able to tell you which bowl of porridge is just right - you'll have to taste them for yourself.

Good luck.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-26-20, 07:32 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
I was thinking this, and started to not count other people's money. But here I am... oh well
Old 05-26-20, 08:23 AM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2020 S-Works Roubaix (Zipp 303 NSW), 2020 Canyon Ultimate Evo 10.0 (DT Swiss DICUT 1100), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2018 S-Works Camber, 2019 S-Works Epic

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I spent some time composing some helpful advice/info, but decided to scratch it. You seem to have some very particular preferences despite not having much knowledge or experience (and usage plans that aren't terribly demanding) and you're limiting your search to only what your LBSs carry. Between these two factors, I don't see why you're seeking advice online. I don't think that anyone here is going to be able to tell you which bowl of porridge is just right - you'll have to taste them for yourself.

Good luck.
Agree. We’ve been trying to help you through the decision in this thread and your other thread. It seems to me that you lack the experience to make a decision about the “perfect” bike, and you aren’t clocking many hours in the saddle. It seems you are fit as a runner, but adjusting to a road bike is a whole other kettle of fish. Your descriptions about what is lacking are spare, making it even more difficult to understand what you don’t like.

My Canyon Ultimate with 28 mm tires is downright plush, so I find your comments about stiffness to be odd, and you haven’t elaborated on where you feel the stiffness. And the Ultimate isn’t even an endurance bike. All the reviews I have read have described the Endurace as compliant and comfortable.

I personally don’t find much of a comfort gap between my Roubaix and my Canyon. If I were ever to do very rough roads, I would certainly use the Roubaix. But for any normal riding, I’d be equally happy with both from a comfort perspective. Having ridden both pure race bikes and endurance bikes, I find the there’s probably too much emphasis placed on the difference.
Old 05-26-20, 08:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Cannondale SuperSix EVO, Specialized Tarmac, or Giant TCR. Try them and let us know what they feel like compared to the others.

They come with quite a few spacers under the stem. If the shop will do it, have them lower the stem for your test rides.
Old 05-26-20, 01:18 PM
hydrationnation

120km now doesnt mean I stay at 120km. I didnt start with marathons when I started running.
buyer's remorse
The TCR Adv Pro was the most agile bike I tested.
When the Ultimate/Endurace are plush on your scale, what is the Domane on your scale... hyper-ultra-mega-super plush?
I just had one simple question: How does the Gan compare to the Domane and the Endurace?
But thanks to all the valuable contributions to this thread.
Old 05-26-20, 01:45 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
120km now doesnt mean I stay at 120km. I didnt start with marathons when I started running.
buyer's remorse
When the Ultimate/Endurace are plush on your scale, what is the Domane on your scale... hyper-ultra-mega-super plush?
I just had one simple question: How does the Gan compare to the Domane and the Endurace?
No, but mentioning something specifically gives the impression it has significance. So glad you found so many valuable contributions to your very specific, personalized query
Old 05-26-20, 04:14 PM
hydrationnation

@ZHVelo ,let me answer your specific question.
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
because I can.
Old 05-26-20, 04:30 PM
frogmorton

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
My Roubaix (2017) came with three different springs for the shock to adjust it.
Old 05-26-20, 04:44 PM
hydrationnation

Originally Posted by frogmorton
My Roubaix (2017) came with three different springs for the shock to adjust it.
Thanks. I just saw a YT video with the 3 different springs. The Roubaix that I tested was probably not on the black spring.
I will try to test it again.
Old 05-26-20, 04:53 PM
justonwo

buyer's remorse
I haven't ridden a Domane and I don't think I can help you. I think you lack the experience to even elucidate what you're looking for.
Likes For justonwo:
Old 05-26-20, 04:54 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
FWIW I bought a brand new Colnago (2017 model in 2018) with full, then current 105 for $1200 from an authorized dealer, and it wasn't a demo, and I didn't settle as it's the exact model/size/color I wanted and had no cosmetic or mechanical issues of any kind. Wasn't even on the floor for people to fool with, it was built up in back. It was also full 105 down to the chain and cassette, with the only exception being the brake calipers, which I upgraded to 105 at purchase. MSRP was $2500. Perhaps I got an insane, abnormal deal of the year (purchased mid June, so pretty much a month after season really gets going here but not January or something), but it just goes to show you shouldn't be paying anywhere remotely close to $3k for a 105 bike, or even Ultegra if you shop around. Not to mention, a lot of bikes out there don't use a full groupset, so many of them mix and match brands/components.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.