Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Muirwood RC - any experience

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 03:07 PM
derick1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Marin's Muirwood RCs

I found a shop that has one left and just wondering if its' an ok bike for riding 4-5 miles every couple of days.. i'm new to biking. I like that it has big tires.. and nexus 8 speed i believe.. so less maintenance.

thanks!
Old 08-20-20, 09:27 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
That looks pretty nice, but I am a IGH fan. I’d rather not futz with disc brakes too but that’s just me. The only thing that would really bug me is the fenders. I like fenders they do make riding in the wet a lot more comfortable. But these are not really long enough, front or back. Be sure you are going to be able to securely mount a rack. That is all.
Old 08-20-20, 09:37 PM
derick1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
That looks pretty nice, but I am a IGH fan. I’d rather not futz with disc brakes too but that’s just me. The only thing that would really bug me is the fenders. I like fenders they do make riding in the wet a lot more comfortable. But these are not really long enough, front or back. Be sure you are going to be able to securely mount a rack. That is all.
hey Joe,

being in Florida.. I think fenders would help rising in some wet conditions! the only review for this bike doesn’t give it much praise which is why.. I’m thinking of getting a breezer cafe which just has a regular 9 speed Shimano Dora I think.

ideally I wanted a combo of Gates carbon + Alfine 11 speed.. making it pretty much maintenance free for a long time.. but I can’t find one in the sub $1300 that’s also in stock
Old 08-20-20, 09:58 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
How about a Breezer 8+. Fenders are still too small. But having a chain instead of belt saves a lot of money and complication. I actually bought a Linus 8 before all this Covid mess and I like it.
Old 08-20-20, 10:26 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
You need to check out some reviews first.

John
Old 08-21-20, 03:15 AM
derick1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
You need to check out some reviews first.

John
hey John, only review I found was on road (dot) cc website and it got a 4/10. Now some of the things the reviewer mentioned.. I won’t be doing.. off the saddle climbing etc.. as I’m basically going to be cruising on paved roads and some very light gravel park paths.. So I think it’ll be ok for me. I wish I could test it before but the dealer is 700 miles away 😬
Old 08-21-20, 03:16 AM
derick1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
How about a Breezer 8+. Fenders are still too small. But having a chain instead of belt saves a lot of money and complication. I actually bought a Linus 8 before all this Covid mess and I like it.
yeah I’m trying to find a breezer dealer nearby or another bike shop. Can’t find em in my size, 56

ill keep looking! I wish Cube was available in the US.
Old 08-21-20, 07:22 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
That’s the review I saw.

I’m not familiar with calculations of internal hub ratios. It uses a 42t chainring and 19t cog.

If someone is using a 50/34 with an 12-28, I can relate to that setup. But a 42t to 19t to internal ratios doesn’t relate to me. Can the 42t chainring be swapped out for a 38t or 36t?

I converted an old road bike to flat bar. It has a 42/30 with a 13-32 freewheel in the back. I can ride around the neighborhood with my wife in the 30t. Or cruise along the beach on either chainring. It doesn’t have top end but it goes anywhere.

John