Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Any experience with basic tarp shelters in the rain?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Any experience with basic tarp shelters in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-20, 11:39 PM
meyers66

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A 3 season free standing tent is most appropriate because you can’t find nice soft grass everywhere to stake out a tarp and you need it to be waterproof. Doug64 is right. How does a tarp work on hard ground ya can’t get a stake into? I tried a Tarptent squall? 2 for a few nights and hated it. Waste of money if you aren’t in the ideal campsite. TNF Tadpole 2 works well for me.
Old 09-21-20, 08:44 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
My big agnes HV 1 copper spur bikepacking tent weighs 2.5 lbs. No bugs or critters, water proof, no condensation/clammy like a bivy. Long enough for me, can sit up in it and has a small fly for shoes or a bag at the door for cover. Not quite sure what the OP goals are? Seems ilke a tarp would be lacking?
Likes For Leebo:
Old 09-22-20, 07:27 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
As fate would have it... I went digging for a bag to use tomorrow for something. I did not find the bag. However, what I did find was my entire hammock set up. Here I thought I left it at the cabins.. That also means that since it was hidden in a box here it never made it up to the cabins to start with. I normally keep the set in a dry sack (heavy kayaking type, 20L) and I recall looking for it thinking it was surely in one of the two dry sacks I use for that purpose and not seeing it.

Anywho... This changes my whole game plan. I got both the tarp with doors (separate parts) and the hammock. So if I am stringing up the tarp I might as well string up the hammock. And its fully enclosed - zip up bug net - so is critter-proof.
Old 09-23-20, 06:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
My feeling is that once you have thrown in a ground cloth and a tarp and a rope as a main guide line, tie downs and stakes, you might not be saving yourself much weight and then you don't have a way to keep the bugs out nor a guarantee of staying dry vs. today's lightweight tent.
+1. Seems like a lot of work when you can get a 3 lb. (or even lighter) tent.

And if it’s been raining before you set up camp you are going to want a floor unless you like sleeping in mud.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-23-20 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-23-20, 10:56 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
And if it’s been raining before you set up camp you are going to want a floor unless you like sleeping in mud.
Most of my tarp camping was done decades ago when there was snow on the ground. A space blanket worked great as a ground sheet. Little heavy but it was quite strong. I do not mean the single use ones, the one I used was fiber reinforced and was quite durable.
Old 09-23-20, 11:13 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
A piece of Tyvek also makes for a nice ground cloth beneath a tarp or tent but it can be a little noisy until it is more broken in. I've heard of people tossing it in a wash machine to speed up the process but I've never done this myself to know if it really works.
Old 09-23-20, 11:50 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I like this for quick rain exits:

Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 09-23-20, 01:03 PM
biker222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
I've used tarps quite a bit with car-camping and last week used one while bike touring in northern MN. We expected and had variable weather. Tarps can offer a lot of protection for very little weight. We have a 10x12 silnylon tarp that weighs in just shy of a pound. Add in setup lines & rigging lines and stakes and we're at about 2 lbs. If you take two additional setup poles that can add a half pound(for 50 inch aluminum tent-type poles) to 1.25 lbs for a pair of adjustable hiking sticks. We had hiking sticks last week.

We also had a 4.5 lb two-person tent. Lows at night got down to the low 30's..we were comfortable and had a great trip.

Looks like a Mountainsmith Morrison 2 tent. I am on my second one after many years. I think one of the best tents for the money.
Old 09-23-20, 02:45 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
A piece of Tyvek also makes for a nice ground cloth beneath a tarp or tent but it can be a little noisy until it is more broken in. I've heard of people tossing it in a wash machine to speed up the process but I've never done this myself to know if it really works.
Yup, washing works. And the Tyvek tape works really well too.
Old 09-23-20, 03:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
The photos above are an excellent illustration of the importance of site selection. Site selection, and experience with your equipment, is often more important your equipment is. The newest, most expensive tent will flood when pitched in a swale. The poor guy with a tarp can stay comfortably dry a few meters away.
From a trip back in July. Fortunately, this was not my campsite. Keep in mind that the soil at the park is relatively porous. It was simply raining too hard for the ground to keep up.

Old 09-23-20, 04:56 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by biker222
Looks like a Mountainsmith Morrison 2 tent. I am on my second one after many years. I think one of the best tents for the money.
Yep, it is a Morrison 2 tent. I like it a lot. Plenty of room for the two of us, easy to set up, fairly light, inexpensive and dry. I think I paid $125 a few years ago. On one tour this summer we had a 20 minute cloudburst..monsoon, horizontal rain & couldn't see across the street (we were in a bar at the time grabbing a bite to eat) white-squall downpour. We got back to camp and inside the tent and contents were bone-dry. I'd buy another..they're still available.

Last edited by fishboat; 09-23-20 at 04:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-23-20, 04:59 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
From a trip back in July. Fortunately, this was not my campsite. Keep in mind that the soil at the park is relatively porous. It was simply raining too hard for the ground to keep up.

Yikes.

At first glance I thought the campsite number post was a depth gauge.