Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Direct Drive Trainer or Smart Bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-20, 05:20 PM
TJtheWrecker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts

I am looking to invest in an indoor training set up and deciding between a Smart bike or direct drive trainer + new cheap road bike, would love to get your opinion to help me pick.

Option 1: ($2500)
  • Wahoo Kickr/Tacx Neo (~1k)
  • New Road bike ($1500
    Will allow me to have a bike set up on the trainer for all winter as well as N+1 bike which I can use for commuting/riding casually across NYC (rather than my gravel race bike)
Option 2: ($2700-3000)
  • Smart Bike
  • Used Wahoo bike, new stages bike, or wattbike.
    Pros are convenience of riding, no faffing about with the chain, and takes up less space in my apartment. Also just cool.
Anyone have experience or opinions on both? Thank you!
Old 09-27-20, 05:41 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
I don't like the idea of a single purpose smart bike. rather have a wheel off train and bik I Can hook up. Maybe I am biased. I have a kicker core.
Old 09-27-20, 06:00 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by TJtheWrecker
I am looking to invest in an indoor training set up and deciding between a Smart bike or direct drive trainer + new cheap road bike, would love to get your opinion to help me pick.

Option 1: ($2500)
  • Wahoo Kickr/Tacx Neo (~1k)
  • New Road bike ($1500
    Will allow me to have a bike set up on the trainer for all winter as well as N+1 bike which I can use for commuting/riding casually across NYC (rather than my gravel race bike)
Option 2: ($2700-3000)
  • Smart Bike
  • Used Wahoo bike, new stages bike, or wattbike.
    Pros are convenience of riding, no faffing about with the chain, and takes up less space in my apartment. Also just cool.
Anyone have experience or opinions on both? Thank you!
Nordic Trac Commercial 22i is the bomb
Old 09-27-20, 07:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Ehhh I would rather be riding my own bike but those dedicated bikes are actually kind of cool but when not in use take up more space that I could use to have more bikes.
Old 09-28-20, 05:20 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,201 Times in 692 Posts
I have the Wahoo Kickr Bike and Wahoo associated extras.
I am extremely happy with it and the support from Wahoo.

It's always ready to go, completely adjustable. I can even choose what gearing I'd like to take on a particular ride.

Barry
Old 09-29-20, 07:30 AM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Ehhh I would rather be riding my own bike but those dedicated bikes are actually kind of cool but when not in use take up more space that I could use to have more bikes.
My wife and I are currently locked in this debate. She wants a Pelaton but I’m intrigued by Zwift (I love the idea of using my daily rider while playing video games) and using some of the money it would cost for component upgrades for my XC bike and a dedicated N+1 trail bike come spring.
Likes For PGHNeil:
Old 09-29-20, 07:47 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by PGHNeil
My wife and I are currently locked in this debate. She wants a Pelaton but I’m intrigued by Zwift (I love the idea of using my daily rider while playing video games) and using some of the money it would cost for component upgrades for my XC bike and a dedicated N+1 trail bike come spring.
The Peloton and Nordic Trac are addicting.
Old 09-29-20, 07:59 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
If I were having this debate with myself, a debate which involves a bit of money, I would take each of the various items under consideration for a test ride. A LBS/fitness store near by sells Wahoo products and has a demo set up of Zwift for customers to try. So it is possible to try. Not sure how one would get to demo Pelaton but I know a number of people that have one and I'm sure that if one was to ask around would be able to test out this product.

For me personally it was an easy choice. Last year when things were more sane in the world, I picked up a used smart trainer that is supported by Zwift for a total of $95.00. I put one of my spare bikes on it and a few additional add-ons bring my total outlay to less than $200 Then $15/month for Zwift and I can say without any hesitation I got my monies worth out of the whole thing. $200 is nothing compared to $2000 Glad I'm not having to make that decision today.

Last edited by Thomas15; 09-29-20 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-29-20, 08:04 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
If you want a challenge and more reality, consider smart power rollers. You can use any road bike and not have to worry about cassettes or being artificially locked in. Only drawback is you won't be able to Zwift chat during a ride because you will be the only one really riding your bike.

The two best smart power rollers are:

1. InsideRide E-Motion Rollers with Smart Power
2. Tru-Trainer Smart Power Rollers
Old 09-29-20, 09:25 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,201 Times in 692 Posts
Options

I own a smart bike. I considered Peloton but it appeared to be a closed standard.
My Wahoo Kickr Bike has so many more software options available.

Personally I was not enamored with Zwift. It was the first app I tried, but the toon nature of it just didn't tickle me.
BKool makes a great attempt at realism while retaining the multiple rider environment. (I had issues, and their support... well....didn't)
FulGaz is 4K video taken from an actual bike ride. But you do give up the multiple rider onscreen competition.
Biggest drawback of FulGaz, is it's biggest feature.. Those 4K video rides are stunning, both in the glorious sunny vistas and the file size to store the MP4 files.

Yet I like FulGaz so much I added a drive to my PC and place the ride files on the drive. You can stream them, but I do have a data cap on my ISP and this helps stay under it.

Indoor cycling can be boring, do consider how you will feel regarding software availability/variety a year or two from now.
By having a Smart bike compatible with all of the smart trainers protocols, I get to piggy back on all of the software development driven by that extremely large trainer market.

Barry
Old 09-29-20, 09:49 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
The biggest benefit I see from a stationary bike (smart bike?) is the easy adjustability that would allow multiple people to use it.

If I'm the only one riding it, I feel like I'd rather just have a N+1 bike on a direct-mount trainer. That way at least I have a bike I can still ride outside if I want, and I can run other bikes indoors as well.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-29-20, 12:41 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
A trainer takes up less space than a smart bike when not in use, and you can move it around much more easily. Putting a bike on is also easy, you can just use the bike you have and get a second bike only if you really feel like it.
Likes For surak:
Old 09-29-20, 01:04 PM
Sasquatch16

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
I own a smart bike. I considered Peloton but it appeared to be a closed standard.
My Wahoo Kickr Bike has so many more software options available.

Personally I was not enamored with Zwift. It was the first app I tried, but the toon nature of it just didn't tickle me.
BKool makes a great attempt at realism while retaining the multiple rider environment. (I had issues, and their support... well....didn't)
FulGaz is 4K video taken from an actual bike ride. But you do give up the multiple rider onscreen competition.
Biggest drawback of FulGaz, is it's biggest feature.. Those 4K video rides are stunning, both in the glorious sunny vistas and the file size to store the MP4 files.

Yet I like FulGaz so much I added a drive to my PC and place the ride files on the drive. You can stream them, but I do have a data cap on my ISP and this helps stay under it.

Barry
Agree 100% about Fulgaz. One of my favorite rides is out your area. Marin Headlands. I have the virtual guy, Bernard, programmed just a little faster to keep me from slacking.
Old 10-01-20, 12:16 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
I am struggling with this myself the always ready to go nature of the Smart bikes are interesting to me, and the Norditrack looks good but I don't think it does Zwift and my local group does some zwift group rides I would like to participate in.

Originally Posted by Barry2
I have the Wahoo Kickr Bike and Wahoo associated extras.
I am extremely happy with it and the support from Wahoo.

It's always ready to go, completely adjustable. I can even choose what gearing I'd like to take on a particular ride.

Barry
Old 10-01-20, 01:45 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
I personally prefer a smart trainer for the following reasons:
  1. I don't like having technology and hardware "tightly coupled". With a smart trainer, almost all the technology that will change rapidly is in my laptop, not the trainer and not my bicycle. Therefore, when it comes time for technology upgrade, I'll upgrade my laptop accordingly and keep the trainer and bicycle for many years to come.
  2. I don't want the bike I train on indoors to feel different than the bike I ride outdoors. I'd like the same experience everywhere, so I put my outdoor bike on a trainer. In particular, my butt knows the difference when there's a new seat
  3. I just love bikes. I'd rather spend several thousand on an actual bicycle than a stationary bike.
  4. I am the only one riding my trainer and bike, so adjustability "on the fly" isn't an issue.
Likes For PoorInRichfield: