Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

First aid kit

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

First aid kit

Old 09-29-20, 08:01 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
I've used this small type of first aid kit for a while and added a few things to it.
I like that's it's small.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5003-3...-First-Aid-Kit
Likes For djb:
Old 09-29-20, 10:20 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts
[QUOTE=djb;21719784]
Originally Posted by Mark Hoaglund
FYI and viewing pleasure:
Military Can Openers P-38 & P-51
/QUOTE]

I can't be the only one who immediately thinks of Lightnings and Mustangs no????
Oh yeah and WWI model aircraft paintings.
Old 09-29-20, 10:26 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Originally Posted by djb
I've used this small type of first aid kit for a while and added a few things to it.
I like that's it's small.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5003-3...-First-Aid-Kit
I like it. Do they ship to USA? And thanks a lot I'm sure I'll be adding to it.
Old 09-30-20, 09:18 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet

Very nice work, well done !
Old 09-30-20, 09:33 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Very nice work, well done !
Thanks. It was one of my first attempts so I kept it for myself. I got better at refining fit and workmanship as I went along. I can't remember what the handle material is but I soaked it in boiled linseed oil and it has held up very well. The sheath was wetted, shaped, dried and saturated with bees wax in the oven the way we used to do old hiking boots.

At the time, the knives were about $12 at Canadian Tire and they must have thought I was odd to come in and buy several at a time.
For the price I don't think Moras can be beat. That blade has seen regular service for 20 years and only has a small chip in the blade. To open cans I just push it through the top and cut along the edge in a series of straight lines. It's rougher but can open as fast as a can opener.

I've been watching Forged in Fire and getting the bug to start up again - because one thing I really need is another expensive hobby

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-30-20 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-30-20, 11:54 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
... one thing I really need is another expensive hobby
I think you described everyone on this forum.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 09-30-20, 01:06 PM
djb

I like it. Do they ship to USA? And thanks a lot I'm sure I'll be adding to it.
dont know, but I would imagine that places like REI and other outdoor gear places in the states have this sort of thing, which would simplify things probably.
Unfortunately Mountain Equipment Coop , MEC, is going through a big change, bankruptcy and sale to an American company, but is supposed to continue on living here in some shape or form.

online sales were part of the problem, just like with bike shops, and then covid was the kick in the teeth....
Old 09-30-20, 02:25 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by djb
Unfortunately Mountain Equipment Coop , MEC, is going through a big change, bankruptcy and sale to an American company, but is supposed to continue on living here in some shape or form.....
Major bummer. I hope they live on, but if the new company is a private equity firm they might strip the bones before they discard it.

I liked the MEC store I shopped at last summer in Halifax. In some ways I liked it better than REI.
Old 09-30-20, 03:18 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Originally Posted by djb
dont know, but I would imagine that places like REI and other outdoor gear places in the states have this sort of thing, which would simplify things probably.
Unfortunately Mountain Equipment Coop , MEC, is going through a big change, bankruptcy and sale to an American company, but is supposed to continue on living here in some shape or form.

online sales were part of the problem, just like with bike shops, and then covid was the kick in the teeth....
Thank you and sure enough REI has the FAK. Most use masks, distancing & sanitizer here thankfully and the stores request it I frequent.
Old 09-30-20, 04:29 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Major bummer. I hope they live on, but if the new company is a private equity firm they might strip the bones before they discard it.

I liked the MEC store I shopped at last summer in Halifax. In some ways I liked it better than REI.
yup T, its a big shock to all of us. We have shopped there for 30 years or more, and its been such a part of our outdoor activity lives, that it is quite sad.
We'll see what happens. Online shopping is a hell of a hard knock on so many industries now, so actual stores really are going to have to adapt, and like i said before, the whole covid thing is a gamechanger that no one could have seen coming.
Old 09-30-20, 04:34 PM
djb

Thank you and sure enough REI has the FAK. Most use masks, distancing & sanitizer here thankfully and the stores request it I frequent.
good, I'm glad the REI has a similar kit. Must be a standard thing.

You know, I sometimes forget how you guys in the states have such a mish mash of dealing with covid, not to mention the mish mash of views on how to deal with it.
Using masks and social distancing is the complete norm here, it is universally accepted in all regions and is in fact legislated. I'm very sorry that your country is having such a hard time of it, and until vaccines are proven to work and are distributed and administered (which will take time) we realize that we are going to have to deal with this for quite a while.

Last edited by djb; 09-30-20 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-30-20, 06:54 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Originally Posted by djb
good, I'm glad the REI has a similar kit. Must be a standard thing.

You know, I sometimes forget how you guys in the states have such a mish mash of dealing with covid, not to mention the mish mash of views on how to deal with it.
Using masks and social distancing is the complete norm here, it is universally accepted in all regions and is in fact legislated. I'm very sorry that your country is having such a hard time of it, and until vaccines are proven to work and are distributed and administered (which will take time) we realize that we are going to have to deal with this for quite a while.
I think its 30 years now USA folks say its the economy stupid not problem solving. That's how some maybe most leaders think. I still do cycle errands and tour camping all these decades since the 1950s.
Old 10-01-20, 05:31 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by djb
Over the past few decades there has been a growing anti-science movement in USA. And as a result of that you have people that feel if you take the Covid precautions that scientists recommend, you lose status in some political circles.

As a retired scientist and engineer, at times I can't understand why some people feel that taking precautions is somehow demeaning. But over the years I have encountered a lot of people that will pick and choose what scientific achievements they want to accept or refuse to accept based solely on whether or not the scientific achievement is a direct benefit to them.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 10-01-20, 06:56 AM
djb

thanks TMSN, it certainly is perplexing to those of us viewing this and other things from outside of the United States.
Old 10-01-20, 05:40 PM
Mark Hoaglund

djb, MSN thank you for being so relative, in fact I think some have forgotten their humble beginnings thanks to science and engineering. I'm going to make like Casper this October and ride my eBike while seeing about making a FAK.
Old 10-01-20, 08:28 PM
djb

Well Mr H, hope the weather is good. Up here October can be pretty rainy and cold, so good luck and hope you have a string of nice days.
Old 10-02-20, 12:02 AM
Mark Hoaglund

Originally Posted by djb
Well Mr H, hope the weather is good. Up here October can be pretty rainy and cold, so good luck and hope you have a string of nice days.
djb, thanks for the sentiments. The 10 day forecast says cold & rain will move on and Monday on will be 40s-60s F thank goodness, Gaia & the higher power. How about time for another Zen spiritual eCycle journey and do some more sightseeing, camping & socializing with the local inhabitants. Hopefully their not hibernating. Beautiful full moon tonight and 32F. I'm hoping the rain and winds won't creep in & spoil the beautiful colorful Fall Autumn foliage displays for several days so folks can get out to enjoy it while hiking, biking, playing with the dogs, kids & pets. We'll see.

Thank you & much appreciated folks for all helping out with my starter First Aid Kit (FAK) plus ace bandage, medicines, forceps, folding basin, toenail clipper, sewing kit & little Swiss Army knife. I'm thinking about a P-51 can opener for leverage & big hands.
Old 10-10-20, 09:27 AM
Mark Hoaglund

I couldn't beat the deal and received it two days later:

Johnson All-Purpose First Aid Kit, Portable Compact
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M09COIF
Like the brief first aid manual.
Old 10-10-20, 10:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18393 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
3.30” x 9.8” x 7.01”. I would ditch the box and put what you might need in a Zip-Loc bag.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-26-20, 12:35 AM
Mark Hoaglund

Since this is new to me thank you for mentioning diarrhea stomach relief medication for the FAK. Tried it out at home and relief within the hour.
Old 11-17-20, 06:15 AM
Zize55
Banned

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First aid needs to be able to do, since anything can happen