Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Which bike do you consider "The Holy Grail"?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-09, 06:03 PM
joe englert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

just thought of this on xmas(today) as some guy was trying to sell me "the holy grail" bike, which in his opinion was a 1969 poliaghi. im sure everyone has a bike they want to get someday, but what would most serious collectors consider a holy grail bike. now to me, there is only one choice, a mario confente. many different reasons of course. just wondering what you forums readers consider as your choice. i dont think one would consider a "one of a kind bike" such as the biachi that fausto coppi won his last tour on, but a bike that was made in very limited production and is, in fact, obtainable to some collectors. anyway, anxious to read your opinions and have a great holiday.
Old 12-25-09, 06:06 PM
Dave Hickey

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My holy grail is a moving target...It used to be a LOOK Reynolds 753 and I finally found one...Then it was a 3Rensho and I found two.... My latest Grail is either a Zunow or a 3Rensho built Specialized Allez
Likes For Dave Hickey:
Old 12-25-09, 06:18 PM
Veloria
Lug Princess

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rene Herse mixte with twin lateral stays
in exactly my size
sage green frame with gold pinstripng
in all-original, perfectly restored, ready-to-ride condition....

I think I nearly passed out from even imagining that!
Old 12-25-09, 06:19 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
A 1969 Pogliaghi could be a "grail" bike, not many made it to the USA, even fewer would be in nice shape.

If I sold enough bikes I would get a Toei with the proceeds, or maybe a Singer.

There are a number of current builders in the USA I would consider, I would not consider them grails, but I am beginning to consider who I would want to build one for me.

An 1970 or 1971 Colnago would be hard to pass up, before he started simplifying them, but chose the club motif.
Old 12-25-09, 06:29 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Gios Torino Super Record pantographed everything (with clinchers)
Old 12-25-09, 06:33 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Vent Noir in my size. A new holy grail for me, after seeing one on the catch thread.,,,,BD

Me and friend of mine had a little fun with the name too. Funniest by far was "vent brun"....

Last edited by Bikedued; 12-25-09 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-25-09, 06:38 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I try not to lust after bikes until after they find me. It works pretty well.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Likes For Doohickie:
Old 12-25-09, 06:48 PM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by joe englert
just thought of this on xmas(today) as some guy was trying to sell me "the holy grail" bike, which in his opinion was a 1969 poliaghi. im sure everyone has a bike they want to get someday, but what would most serious collectors consider a holy grail bike. now to me, there is only one choice, a mario confente. many different reasons of course. just wondering what you forums readers consider as your choice. i dont think one would consider a "one of a kind bike" such as the biachi that fausto coppi won his last tour on, but a bike that was made in very limited production and is, in fact, obtainable to some collectors. anyway, anxious to read your opinions and have a great holiday.
If your only choice is a Mario Confente, and you owned a really excellent example of a Mario Confente. And you sold said Mario Confente. What does that say about finding "holy grail" bikes?

Catch and release? The only true holy grail is next holy grail? There's no such thing? Since you've actually had yours, let's have your take on it.
Old 12-25-09, 06:58 PM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
A Confente would be up there along with a full on Camping or randonneur bike from Alex Singer or Rene Herse of course in my size. It isn't anything unless I am actually able to ride it.
Old 12-25-09, 06:59 PM
Citoyen du Monde

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by joe englert
I have had a few Confente bikes pass through my hands and I can think of many bikes that I would rate above all of them. Like most people here, my targets are moving targets. I am presently awaiting the arrival of a bike that I have been trying to get for years. There is another bike that I have been after for over a decade, I keep hoping the present owner will awake one day and give me a call saying it is for sale...
Old 12-25-09, 06:59 PM
gmouchawar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A green Legnano to replace the one I got as a graduation present from my parents.
Likes For gmouchawar:
Old 12-25-09, 07:02 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
For a bicycle that already exists? hmmm - tough call. At this point, I think a 60's or 70's Frejus. Partly because I don't have one, partly because the geometry was a little more relaxed on some of the models, partly because they were gorgeous bicycles, and on the rare occasions where my Uncle's shop had them in stock, they literally drew small crowds.

The seed has been planted to consider a custom bike at some point (if I could ever afford one). There are a lot of builders in the US who do special work. I had the opportunity to meet/ride with/give a teeny bit of logistical support to a couple of the "younger" builders - Ellis & m.a.p., at this past Cirque, and found them very personable, easy to talk to, and not one little bit intimidating. If I were getting a "city bike" made, I'd pick m.a.p. in a heartbeat. As much because I'd be comfortable talking with them, as I am impressed with their work, I'd put Weigle, and Ellis toward the top of my list, but the potential list is mighty long. If I had millions, I'd get one each from Bruce Gordon, Chris Kvale, Brian Baylis, Doug Fattic, Richard Sachs, Mark Nobilette (Rene Herse), Mike Terrafirma, Anthony Mezzatesta, Papa Bilenky, Tom Kellogg, Keith Anderson, and the guy with possibly the greatest sense of humor around, Tim O'Donnell. That really narrows things down, doesn't it.
Old 12-25-09, 07:03 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I agree with dave hickey, what moves you now may not move you later. right now I would love a large mixtie frame, however one of those "always wanted" frames/bikes is a curly stay Hetchins.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 12-25-09 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-25-09, 07:04 PM
Bioflamingo
Bike Collector

Bikes: 1983 Trek 560

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My holy grail is whatever bike I happen to be commuting on. I usually just use any cheap cromo mountain bike/touring frame I can find. My last one was a wrecked Centurion that I bought for the brakes and crank. Decided that it wasn't going to last long anyway so wrecked didn't matter. Wrecked it beyond reconcile when a huge pothole covered by snow snuck up on me. So as soon as the wind dies down my new grail will be a miyata six ten. I thought about making it into a light touring bike, but decided to sacrifice it to the streets instead. But make no mistake, I'll appreciate every ounce of service I get out of it and it really is my Holy Grail of the moment.
Old 12-25-09, 07:12 PM
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Hmmmmm..... any Frejus, a peugeot psv 10, an austro daimler vent noir II, schwinn superior, chrome paramount, and a nice steel framed brifter bike just so i can say i've ridden one.
Old 12-25-09, 07:28 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
For me it would have to be one of several TEAM bikes from the 1980's. Maybe an orange & white Panasonic Shimano team bike from the 1981 ish Americam race scene. Maybe a blue Gitane team bike like the bike Greg Lemond won his first world championship race with in 83. A silver Hinault 531 bike from 1985. All are pretty much unobtainable. I would love to own any bike ridden by Lemond, Hinault, Kelly, Roche, Fignon etc.
Old 12-25-09, 07:45 PM
that_guy_zach

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am a simple man so I would have to say a Mint Schwinn Volare in pearl orange.
Old 12-25-09, 07:53 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
right now I would love a large mixtie frame,
https://allentown.craigslist.org/bik/1523147572.html

I can facilitate...
Old 12-25-09, 07:53 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I can relate to the curly stay Hetchins, Vent Noir, and 1969 Pog votes. In fact, my cousin's red Pog must have been a 1969 or 1970 model.

However, in the early 1970s my cycling buddies and I were convinced that "God rides a white Masi."
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-25-09, 08:11 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Only 2, not so holy, though. I've never given much thought to "the ONE:"

1989 Pinarello Montello, red, 2x8 Syncro II, Campy Ypsilon rims, SI Flite saddle, 56cm.

Almost any Zunow, great shape, 56cm, frame only. I'd go 7800 DA on it in a heartbeat, Aksium wheels.
Old 12-25-09, 08:23 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by John E
However, in the early 1970s my cycling buddies and I were convinced that "God rides a white Masi."
I have a white Masi, and I can assure you I am mortal.
Old 12-25-09, 08:25 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I agree with dave hickey, what moves you now may not move you later. right now I would love a large mixtie frame, however one of those "always wanted" frames/bikes is a curly stay Hetchins.
You should have bid on that Hetchins Mixtie on ebay recently, no curly stays, but quite nice.
Old 12-25-09, 08:26 PM
Force 

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 66 Posts
Right now, an Eddy Merckx MX Leader in Motorola colors. (Size 62/63 if you know of one.)
Old 12-25-09, 08:29 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by Otis
If your only choice is a Mario Confente, and you owned a really excellent example of a Mario Confente. And you sold said Mario Confente. What does that say about finding "holy grail" bikes?

Catch and release? The only true holy grail is next holy grail? There's no such thing? Since you've actually had yours, let's have your take on it.
Must have been the thrill of the acquisition. I think it was also a bit too big I think, compared to his other bikes.
Old 12-25-09, 08:30 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by EjustE
thank you. I saw that earlier today. I just wonder the frame size. I may have to wait on the VO frame

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.