Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Fat shaming alive and well on BF

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 02-07-20, 09:29 AM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts

So over in advocacy and safety I got a reply like this one
"Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere View Post (Fat shaming post)

Which the guy must have gone back through my posts here on Clyde (and elsewhere) because I didn't mention my weight in that thread.

Now I am kind of pissed about this. I get it that fat shaming is a regular part of bike culture, that I am not the athletic ideal for cycling and will never race (or even complete) a Tour de France or even the Portland Tour de Flanders. I get it when I try and buy a bike and nothing fits because I am too tall or if it does it isnt rated for my weight if Iike it. I know I have to order all my bike gear online because no bike shop would think of carrying XXL (or Asian Sized 5XL) bike bibs. I see it when "real cyclists" pass me and then find I am actually capable of going faster than them over long distances and I pass them five miles down the road. I get it when I tell dealers I want a road bike and they say "well how about a comfort bike?". But I am not used to getting it here on BF. So while I am mostly venting its also a heads up that what you post here can and will be used against you elsewhere in the BF pages.

Anyway thats all I got. Have a good nght
Edited: OP was deleted from that thread either by the MODs or the poster... so I figured I should delete the quote here. The content can be determined from the reply I am sure.

Last edited by starkmojo; 02-07-20 at 09:59 AM.
Likes For starkmojo:
Old 02-07-20, 09:53 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by starkmojo
"Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere View Post
So let me get this right. You in your words in past posts are a 330 pound guy, too fat for your tires, looking to change your fork so that you can handle it at 2 mph speeds while commuting, riding on a course with no traffic, pedestrians, or cars and when you do ride around serious riders, they blow by you so fast one would think you were parked, and you are comparing your need for a helmet compared to mine?

Wow, you're really funny! "

Which the guy must have gone back through my posts here on Clyde (and elsewhere) because I didn't mention my weight in that thread.

Now I am kind of pissed about this. I get it that fat shaming is a regular part of bike culture, that I am not the athletic ideal for cycling and will never race (or even complete) a Tour de France or even the Portland Tour de Flanders. I get it when I try and buy a bike and nothing fits because I am too tall or if it does it isnt rated for my weight if Iike it. I know I have to order all my bike gear online because no bike shop would think of carrying XXL (or Asian Sized 5XL) bike bibs. I see it when "real cyclists" pass me and then find I am actually capable of going faster than them over long distances and I pass them five miles down the road. I get it when I tell dealers I want a road bike and they say "well how about a comfort bike?". But I am not used to getting it here on BF. So while I am mostly venting its also a heads up that what you post here can and will be used against you elsewhere in the BF pages.

Anyway thats all I got. Have a good night.
Yes, he seems to be trying to be as much of a Richard as he can be. He’s one of a very few posters that I’ve put on the ignore list. I suggest you do the same. If his comments bother you enough there are rules on these forums about keeping discussion civil and courteous. You can report someone to the moderators. Below is the relevant rule.

Harassment

Harassment occurs when a member insults, attacks, and denigrates another member at any time. We have zero tolerance for taking an argument about a any topic to a personal level. For instance, the use of terms such as "idiot, moron, stupid" and other derogatory terms constitutes harassment. The idea is to make this a pleasant environment to discuss cycling, not a schoolyard, or name-calling and rock-throwing festival. Repeated critical and sharply negative posts toward a forum member can also constitute harassment. This applies to all content submitted by users including posts, avatars and signatures.
Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. Respect the forum staff. We're not here to make life harder to anyone. Any decision taken by the administrators and moderators is final and must be respected.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-07-20, 10:44 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
This C&A sub is generally so positive that I forget the Rest of the Internet(tm) is just a click away.

Remember that while some of us have let our bellies or hips take over a larger fraction of our bodies than we want, many others have let their rectums take over their mouths.
Old 02-07-20, 01:03 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
This C&A sub is generally so positive that I forget the Rest of the Internet(tm) is just a click away.

Remember that while some of us have let our bellies or hips take over a larger fraction of our bodies than we want, many others have let their rectums take over their mouths.
Oh, no, you diddant!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-07-20, 01:05 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

cyccommute whether they are walking sphincters or just can't help being Richards(), these people are out there and it's important to take the high road and move past it.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 02-08-20, 10:24 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Wilfred those are some funny/true comments about bad behavior between us civilized humans. I've been laughing for a while now. Thanks.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 02-09-20, 10:42 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by starkmojo
"Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere View Post (Fat shaming post)
That guy is a known quantity around here, and he's a flaming a-hole. That's a sock of a sock of a sock and unless I miss my guess, he's toast again.

Good riddance.
Likes For TrojanHorse:
Old 02-10-20, 03:05 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
That guy is a known quantity around here, and he's a flaming a-hole. That's a sock of a sock of a sock and unless I miss my guess, he's toast again.

Good riddance.
He lasted a bit this time around. He claims to despise BF yet can't stay away.
Likes For Beachgrad05:
Old 02-11-20, 03:22 AM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

Good riddance.
Guess I must have missed him before now. Pity that trend didn't continue.
Likes For starkmojo:
Old 02-14-20, 10:18 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
The link in the op does not link to a post by the subject of this thread. I'd like to see it for myself. I have even gone through several recent posts of that users posting history and I can't find one that fat shames anyone. Has it been deleted?
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 02-14-20, 12:05 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
The link in the op does not link to a post by the subject of this thread. I'd like to see it for myself. I have even gone through several recent posts of that users posting history and I can't find one that fat shames anyone. Has it been deleted?
There were some comments early in the thread (not fat shaming) which spiralled into a petty argument with another poster, then towards the end of the thread, two posts that have been edited to just say "nm".
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 02-14-20, 12:55 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Yes- looks like he may have edited his post

nobody on this site can shame me more than i can shame myself,

but i am realistic. Lycra is the most efficient material for spirited road cycling regardless of my weight so i will continue to wear it

mynthoughts for a while have been " If someone has a problem with my size, then thats their problem, i dont have to make it mine"

im trying to take care of my issues with clean eating in my preferred diet plan , riding as much as i can and keeping a positive outlook. Thats enough for me.
Old 02-14-20, 01:01 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
If you are getting on the bike, then NO SHAME!
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 02-14-20, 02:34 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I'm not sticking up for or condoning anything or anyone. I have passed TheDudeIsHere on the SART and recognized him immediately from his former name and blog. He is a big guy, like me. Just seems odd he would be calling out someone for being large when he is large himself. Again, I would be interested in the context of the post if it is still around. Something to learn from.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-16-20, 03:36 AM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I'm not sticking up for or condoning anything or anyone. I have passed TheDudeIsHere on the SART and recognized him immediately from his former name and blog. He is a big guy, like me. Just seems odd he would be calling out someone for being large when he is large himself. Again, I would be interested in the context of the post if it is still around. Something to learn from.
its in the thread above:
"
So let me get this right. You in your words in past posts are a 330 pound guy, too fat for your tires, looking to change your fork so that you can handle it at 2 mph speeds while commuting, riding on a course with no traffic, pedestrians, or cars and when you do ride around serious riders, they blow by you so fast one would think you were parked, and you are comparing your need for a helmet compared to mine?
"
Old 02-16-20, 07:58 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty bad. Condescending to say the least and abusive. Occasionally I will get know-it-alls that really do not know squat reply to my serious questions. It is always that projection of "I'm better than you are" attitude when in fact they are talking out of another orifice. Sorry to hear that came out on BF.
Old 02-16-20, 05:15 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Too much FOX in his/our lives....