Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Calling all Gitane Interclub afficianados.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Calling all Gitane Interclub afficianados.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-20, 08:01 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
I passed up a rough looking Interclub for $20 at a flea market a few years back. I knew Gitane was a good brand, but I didn't know anything about the model and was afraid of dragging home a project that would turn into a money pit. If I had known then what I know now, I might have looked at it a little closer.
Old 10-07-20, 10:04 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 646 Posts
I bought a Gitane over the summer in a similar state. Yours looks to be in slightly better shape.

As found

finished product.
Initially, the rust really put me off. I thought about keeping the parts and selling the frame and fork. After tearing it down and servicing everything, I overlooked the rust. And then after the first ride on it, I really don't care much about the condition of the frame. This is such a great riding bike. It has a lighter feel than my two other French bikes(Peugeots). If I could change one thing, it would be size. I need a couple more cm...
Likes For Roger M:
Old 10-07-20, 10:44 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Okay, so between staring at the pix of Murray_Missile's Interclub and Roger_M's TdF, I see really familiar frame geometry on display. Because I have within the last week gone on a frame-measuring, trail-computing binge within my own fleet, I can tell you that my 60 cm-to-top c.1971 TdF with a 58 cm top tube has 73 degree seat tube angle with a 74 degree head tube. Combined with a 55 mm fork rake, on 622/28 Paselas I get 40 mm of trail on a bike with a 101.5 cm wheelbase and 43 cm chain stays. Be interesting to see what happens if people broke out tape measures and angle-finding devices (I cheat and use the app on my iPhone!).
Old 10-07-20, 10:53 AM
Sierra
Uff Da!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 90 Posts
Murray Missile Is there any evidence of a triangular Reynolds 531 decal on the left fork blade?
Old 10-07-20, 11:11 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,264 Times in 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra
Murray Missile Is there any evidence of a triangular Reynolds 531 decal on the left fork blade?
I'll look when I get home but I think it has the same decal on both sides.
Old 10-07-20, 04:40 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,264 Times in 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra
Same decal on both sides, no traces of any other decals having been on it.

My cable ferrule came in the mail, it was coarse thread and the derailleur is fine thread. All is not lost though, I picked up an old Vista girl's 10 speed for free to make my wife a yard art bike. The RD had "Vista" on the body but when I got to looking more closely it said Suntour on the cage and another piece. It looked similar in design to the V-GT luxe except clunky witha lot of zinc plated steel instead of aluminum but it had the correct cable ferrule. I'm in full garage cleaning mode right now so it will be awhile before I do much on it.