Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Though the wheel was invented thousands of years back why did it take so long to inve

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Though the wheel was invented thousands of years back why did it take so long to inve

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-20, 02:09 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
It wasn’t just horses.

Wheelbarrows were around much earlier (into antiquity in China, and Middle Ages for Europe). The big multiplier before engines was sail power and there were sail powered wheelbarrows in China where the wind was reliable.

Human power was cheap too. 19 in 20 people were peasant farmers, effectively slaves, in the feudal system. A warship around the 18th century had a crew of 700 and was only 170 feet long
Old 12-09-20, 02:38 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesmustain
They say the modern bicycle was invented only around 1800 plus though the wheel was invented thousands of years back. Why did it take so long for a natural evolution.
Other than the high-speed fighting chariots of ancient Egypt, there aren't a lot of examples of "lean and mean" effective wheels that can take punishment and keep on ticking, at speed, under rough conditions, etc. The stout wheels used on big "Conestoga" wagons were more of a brute-force thing than probably needed to be. Technologies, materials, construction methods and tools all had to get to a point that great improvements could be made. And with cars/trains, propulsion didn't exist until the 1800s, so advancements in that area (of wheels) were still years off. Until the builders had steels of sufficient strength, tools and tooling that could produce exacting results from designs, etc, it was simply too early for everything to come together.

Metallurgy. Extruding. Forging. Tooling. Propulsion. Build techniques. And the widespread knowledge such that "support" industries could feed off each other in a chain of production of rising quality and innovation. Takes a lot for that to happen, when whole industries are getting started, when so many of the basis haven't yet come along.

It'd be interesting to see an Unabridged History Of The Wheel book. Something considering all angles and asking those exact questions. Why not sooner? What did innovations depend upon? What advancements depended upon earlier innovations? How much knowledge and skills needed to be developed before certain advancements could occur?

Last edited by Clyde1820; 12-11-20 at 03:44 AM.
Old 12-09-20, 11:18 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
The bicycle was waiting for the perfect formula for a chain lube.
Old 12-09-20, 01:01 PM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
I'm just responding to the question, not to any of the prior posts. I'll read them when I'm not "working."

I think the reason is that there was no place in the human echosystem for bicycles before the industrialized 19th Century. Before there were widespread carts and horses, there were no roads: you couldn't very well ride a bicycle without roads. (Though some of you guys are certainly doing it now.) Once there were carts and horses, there were roads, but they were pretty basic: dirt, ruts, lots of horse*****. Bicycles and cars came along at the same time, more or less (in geological time :-) ) because there was a need for locomotion without the upkeep of a horse and cart. Kind of like the reason othat Segways and battery powered electric scooters came about: they were intended to fill the interstices between existing transportation.

That's my guess, anyway.
Old 12-09-20, 01:06 PM
Elbeinlaw

Origin myth: origin is a myth

Originally Posted by fujidon
A little off-topic, but I don't think the wheel was ever literally invented. We may have evidence of it being used many thousands of years ago, but it was likely being used long before any historical records can be found.

Even rolling a heavy object over a log is a form of wheel and it couldn't have been long after that when a clever caveman realized if they stuck a smaller log through a hollow log, they could make use of it like a rolling pin, for example. Hence, the wheel.
I think you're exactly right. The "beginning" was always a midpoint in an evolutionary process. We call it "the beginning" because it's easier than trying to describe the moving target that is history. Usually what we mean by "beginning" is what the Aborigine* mean by "The Dreaming": back there, before. A useful concept.

(*Yes, I know "Aborigine" isn't proper, but I don't have time to look up the proper term.)
Old 12-09-20, 02:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Roads.

Without a pretty modern mountain bike setup, even the most modern metropolises of yesteryear would not have had good enough streets and roads for what they could have made back then.

Roads were muddy, rutted, covered in thick large planks. Even in cities, the cobbles weren't as worn and smooth as today. Today that's the result of 1000 years of wear and smoothing.
There's a bit of circularity there, though. Bikes and then cars spurred the demand for smooth roads. Obviously, you need the vehicle and the smooth road, but basically they develop at the same time.
Old 12-09-20, 04:52 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Clearly, "taking the lane" was impossible until the lane was invented.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 12-09-20, 04:58 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I had a yo-yo trick book when I was a kid that claimed the yo-yo was invented by the youngest son of the guy who invented the wheel.
It might be right. I remember reading that the only known example of a wheel from the pre-Columbian New World is a child's toy.
Old 12-09-20, 05:03 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesmustain
Hi,

They say the modern bicycle was invented only around 1800 plus though the wheel was invented thousands of years back. Why did it take so long for a natural evolution. Was it just the fear of balancing ?

Thanks!
It's an interesting question when you think that it's actually quite hard to learn to ride a bike. If you'd just built the first bike ever you might just think it was impossible to ride and give up.

Looking at the history I think it went a bit like the way children learn nowadays with "balance bikes". People pushed themselves along on hobby horses and then perhaps found they could "glide" longer and longer distances and sort of learned to control the things without thinking about it.

It still took us way too long to invent them. This is not unusual in the history of technology though. Part of the problem may have been that until the industrial revolution nobody really understood the concept of investing in technology. So people might have had ideas about self propelled vehicles but they never got further than that.
Old 12-09-20, 05:12 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Blame the horse, the sabertooths, and the velociraptors. It's more bada** to ride them than a bike!

"necessity is the mother of all inventions" back in the days when horses are relatively easy to get, there were no need for bikes.....And you can't shoot arrows with any accuracy from a bike rolling over bumpy off-road or gravel roads!
But only rich people could afford horses.

I saw a documentary once that claimed the bicycle significantly improved the human genome. You could now ride to the next village instead of before when you had little choice but to marry the girl next door. In spite of her big ears, webbed feet, and the fact that she was your sister.

​​​​Bikes would have been a great benefit ever since the very first roads and paths were created which was a long time ago.
​​​​​
Old 12-09-20, 06:07 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
It's an interesting question when you think that it's actually quite hard to learn to ride a bike. If you'd just built the first bike ever you might just think it was impossible to ride and give up.

Looking at the history I think it went a bit like the way children learn nowadays with "balance bikes". People pushed themselves along on hobby horses and then perhaps found they could "glide" longer and longer distances and sort of learned to control the things without thinking about it.

It still took us way too long to invent them. This is not unusual in the history of technology though. Part of the problem may have been that until the industrial revolution nobody really understood the concept of investing in technology. So people might have had ideas about self propelled vehicles but they never got further than that.
This may be why it was necessary for bikes to start out as a recreational toy. People will put up with anything to learn a pointless "skill" that is part of a game or sport. What makes a bike different than a set of golf clubs is that it has a practical use.
Old 12-09-20, 06:31 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
You could make a bicycle with Bronze Age technology, but with hard wheels, imprecise and clunky steering bearings, and poor roads, Bronze Age cyclists would have smashed their perineums to pulp and wouldn't be able to reproduce.
Old 12-10-20, 05:35 AM
Elbeinlaw

Wait a minute--

Originally Posted by guy153
webbed feet, and the fact that she was your sister.​​​​​
How did you know my sister has webbed feet?
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 12-10-20, 05:46 AM
Elbeinlaw

Muddy, rutted, covered with wood

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Roads were muddy, rutted, covered in thick large planks.
But bicycles HAVE been used in places where there weren't anything more than muddy tracks through the jungle:
In its 1937 invasion of China, Japan employed some 50,000 bicycle troops. Early in World War II their southern campaign through Malaya en route to capturing Singapore in 1941 was largely dependent on bicycle-riding soldiers. In both efforts bicycles allowed quiet and flexible transport of thousands of troops who were then able to surprise and confuse the defenders.
That's from https://www.bing.com/search?q=japane...IENAE2&pc=EUPP_ If you're interested in bicycle history, this is certainly worth a look. I believe that I've read that the N. Vietnamese and Viet Cong used bicycles to transport goods down the Ho Chi Minh trail, too. I don't know for a fact, but my guess is that the 1937 use was more bicycles-as-transportation, and the second use was more bicycles-as-wheelbarrows.

I liked the idea of the history of the wheel. It made me wonder if anyone's written a history of the bicycle. I'll bet everything that's written is Eurocentric, but as the examples above show, there's an Asian history, too. It makes me wonder if our (Western) Eurocentric histories haven't eclipsed parallel (or even earlier) developments outside our Euro center.
Old 12-10-20, 05:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Let's get to the real question -- who would win a bike race, Superman or The Flash?
Old 12-10-20, 06:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
But bicycles HAVE been used in places where there weren't anything more than muddy tracks through the jungle:
In its 1937 invasion of China, Japan employed some 50,000 bicycle troops. Early in World War II their southern campaign through Malaya en route to capturing Singapore in 1941 was largely dependent on bicycle-riding soldiers. In both efforts bicycles allowed quiet and flexible transport of thousands of troops who were then able to surprise and confuse the defenders.
That's from https://www.bing.com/search?q=japane...IENAE2&pc=EUPP_ If you're interested in bicycle history, this is certainly worth a look. I believe that I've read that the N. Vietnamese and Viet Cong used bicycles to transport goods down the Ho Chi Minh trail, too. I don't know for a fact, but my guess is that the 1937 use was more bicycles-as-transportation, and the second use was more bicycles-as-wheelbarrows.

I liked the idea of the history of the wheel. It made me wonder if anyone's written a history of the bicycle. I'll bet everything that's written is Eurocentric, but as the examples above show, there's an Asian history, too. It makes me wonder if our (Western) Eurocentric histories haven't eclipsed parallel (or even earlier) developments outside our Euro center.
"Western Malaya had good hard surfaced roads, and the Japanese soldiers rode down them, as much as twenty hours at a stretch. " https://thewarinmalaya.wordpress.com...ore-1941-1942/

Not going to pull sources here, but the Japanese bicycle corps got massacred in places where the road ran out and they had to abandon their only transport. Also, they often had to ride them on the rims as rubber for tires was extremely scarce. When in the jungle, they were far more likely to be carrying or dumping the bike than riding it.
Old 12-10-20, 07:57 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
This may be why it was necessary for bikes to start out as a recreational toy. People will put up with anything to learn a pointless "skill" that is part of a game or sport. What makes a bike different than a set of golf clubs is that it has a practical use.
I mean golf clubs have a practical use beyond the game. We just don't need to bash in our neighbors head much anymore. lol
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 12-14-20, 12:50 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
It was largely due to materials. The laufmaschine...”running machine”... invented by Karl Drais in 1817 had to use the materials of the era. In 1817 all he had to work with was wood. Ball bearings had been invented in 1794 but they weren’t widely used. Wagon wheels used grease...likely animal grease...to reduce friction but that only went so far. Brakes of the era on wagons was a hide against the wheel that was mostly ineffective. They wouldn’t have been on a velocipede. Drais’s machine (usually called a draisinne) was thus heavy, slow, without a drivetrain because the roller chain wasn’t invented for another 63 years, and no brakes. It was a daring thing to get on one and something that only the “dandy” would do. Hence even another name for the laufmaschine...the dandy horse.

About 1840 a Scottish blacksmith put cranks through the front wheel...still wooden...so that the rider could propel the bike forward without the “running” part. But from pictures I’ve seen the wheel is about 24” in diameter which meant that it would have been slow even if the rider were pedaling like a demon was behind him. It likely still used the slip bearings from wagon wheels so it would have been a very hard slog to keep moving.

Wheels grew in size so that the rider could go faster but they were still made of wood and were heavy. In 1869, the wire wheel was invented and bicycles became significantly lighter. That started the first bike boom...the ordinary or penny farthing. The safety cycle came along in 1890 and that started a second bicycle boom.

Then cars came along and killed the whole industry for nearly 70 years.
I agree with the materials being the limiting factors. Modern chains and sprockets, rims, spokes, metal frames are all relatively recent technological advantages, at least compared to the wheel itself.
Old 12-14-20, 03:48 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Leisure time. For centuries the concept that people could have time set aside to pursue a pastime was limited to the wealthy. Even today, most riding is leisure (fitness/sport/pleasure).

While some people commute to a workplace, those commuters are not lugging around hundreds of pounds of equipment needed for their trade.

John
This very much applies to sailing; More than 100 years ago, very few people sailed for recreation.

Regarding bikes: Yes, necessity is the mother of redemption. But...

"All advances in powered aviation are preceded by advances in powerplants." - Dad

And advances in powerplants are preceded by advances in materials.

I can see bicycle technology in history limited by materials technology. I think designs were in people's heads before there were materials that could achieve them.
Old 12-14-20, 07:23 PM
Tracks_Of_Death

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ha Ha, I have had a similar experience with a jockey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.