Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Regulatory Version of a Horror Movie

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-20, 05:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

The sky is falling. Update: the sky is not falling.

https://bikeportland.org/2020/12/17/...oadways-324120

How road bicycling was almost killed by typo.
Old 12-19-20, 07:01 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
The End.

Old 12-19-20, 10:37 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
The wheels of our bureaucratic democracy are out of true, slightly taco'd, missing a few spokes and a little rusty. Probably need to patch and pump the tires, too.
Old 12-19-20, 01:46 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18365 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
The absence of a marked bicycle lane or any of the other traffic control devices discussed in this Chapter on a particular roadway shall not be construed to mean that bicyclists are not permitted to travel on that roadway.
====================================================================
The absence of a marked bicycle lane or any of the other traffic control devices discussed in this Chapter on a particular roadway mean that bicyclists are not permitted to travel on that roadway.
Interesting use of a double negative.

I'd be curious to see what the thoughts were behind the revision. Were they editing an existing electronic copy, or typing in a whole new document from scratch?

I'm wondering if they were trying to simplify the language.

The absence of a marked bicycle lane or any of the other traffic control devices discussed in this Chapter on a particular roadway mean that bicyclists are permitted to travel on that roadway.
Completely deleting the double negative, however, does slightly change the meaning of sentence.
Old 12-19-20, 08:35 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I find it hard to believe that someone so precisely lined out just the exact words needed to entirely change the meaning of the sentence and that just happened to be inadvertant.

An inadvertant mistake would leave wording that made no sense on the subject.
Old 12-19-20, 09:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

This soon to be gone administration, who knows if it was an attempt to get away with something on the way out or just complete incompetence?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-20-20, 11:06 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
From the link.

“Why we you trust that it’s a typo?..."

LOL
Old 12-20-20, 08:31 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
The "double negative" is easy enough to understand.

The "rule" against them is made up and overblown.

They are much more common than the supposed rule against them suggests.
Old 12-21-20, 07:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Interesting use of a double negative.

I'd be curious to see what the thoughts were behind the revision. Were they editing an existing electronic copy, or typing in a whole new document from scratch?

Quote:
The absence of a marked bicycle lane or any of the other traffic control devices discussed in this Chapter on a particular roadway mean that bicyclists are permitted to travel on that roadway.

I'm wondering if they were trying to simplify the language.

Completely deleting the double negative, however, does slightly change the meaning of sentence.
That can't possibly be what they intended as it would indicate that the lack of a bike lane negates any other rule prohibiting bicycling on that road. That would make a posted restricted access road with no bike lane a bicycles may use road. That's not a "slight" change in meaning.

The intent of the current reg is clear--roads are open for cycling unless deemed explicitly otherwise, the new "typo" would have reversed that to mean that the default rule was no cycling on roads, and your version would have made it that the lack of cycling infrastructure prohibits the restriction of roads.
To get rid of the double negative but keep the current meaning, I would suggest "shall not be construed to mean that bicyclists are prohibited from traveling on that roadway."

Last edited by livedarklions; 12-21-20 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-21-20, 09:21 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by livedarklions
That can't possibly be what they intended as it would indicate that the lack of a bike lane negates any other rule prohibiting bicycling on that road. That would make a posted restricted access road with no bike lane a bicycles may use road. That's not a "slight" change in meaning.

The intent of the current reg is clear--roads are open for cycling unless deemed explicitly otherwise, the new "typo" would have reversed that to mean that the default rule was no cycling on roads, and your version would have made it that the lack of cycling infrastructure prohibits the restriction of roads.
To get rid of the double negative but keep the current meaning, I would suggest "shall not be construed to mean that bicyclists are prohibited from traveling on that roadway."
If the chapter discusses both signs allowing bicycles as well as signs prohibiting bicycles. Then one would assume that all roads lacking the official signage prohibiting bicycles would actually allow use by bicycles. Rattle can signs don't count.

In that case, one could remove the "Shall not be construed to... Not", and one ends up with a simple "are permitted".
Old 12-21-20, 09:39 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
That particular text has been corrected. It's only in the proposed rule stage so they are nowhere near final on this revision. If any of you have an interest you may want to review and comment (due by 15 Mar 2021).
Old 12-21-20, 09:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by CliffordK
If the chapter discusses both signs allowing bicycles as well as signs prohibiting bicycles. Then one would assume that all roads lacking the official signage prohibiting bicycles would actually allow use by bicycles. Rattle can signs don't count.

In that case, one could remove the "Shall not be construed to... Not", and one ends up with a simple "are permitted".

Knock yourself out figuring out whether signs prohibiting bicycles are or are not included in Chapter 9a.I looked at the chapter and that's not clear at all.

"shall not be construed to mean... are prohibited" is not a double negative.
Old 12-21-20, 09:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
That particular text has been corrected. It's only in the proposed rule stage so they are nowhere near final on this revision. If any of you have an interest you may want to review and comment (due by 15 Mar 2021).

Thanks! They just deleted "be construed to", leaving "shall not mean that bicycles are not permitted". The double negative remains, but the redundant phrasing "be construed to mean" has been shortened.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-21-20, 11:50 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Thanks! They just deleted "be construed to", leaving "shall not mean that bicycles are not permitted". The double negative remains, but the redundant phrasing "be construed to mean" has been shortened.
Yes, still not concise, though I read it as a triple negative: "absence of" + "shall not" + "not permitted".

Sort of like: "Just because it's not on your schedule, it doesn't mean that you aren't expected to attend"
Old 12-21-20, 01:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Yes, still not concise, though I read it as a triple negative: "absence of" + "shall not" + "not permitted".

Sort of like: "Just because it's not on your schedule, it doesn't mean that you aren't expected to attend"

I don't think "absence" is a negative in that sense. I've always understood the "rule" to refer to having more than one negating modifier, like not or the un prefix or the less suffix. The double negative in the reg is "not" appearing twice in the same sentence. It might be objectionable on esthetic grounds, but the logic of the sentence is quite clear.

Here's a sentence that could drive you nuts. "He is not absent without leave." Is he present or not?
Old 12-22-20, 12:59 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Here's a sentence that could drive you nuts. "He is not absent without leave." Is he present or not?
Doesn't drive me not sane. That sentence really does not address his presence, only a condition: "absent without leave" (aka AWOL). In actual communication, you wouldn't phrase it in the present tense if he were present, though.

Back to the original topic - I've dealt with federal and military regulations for most of my working life and can say that they are never crafted in a way that provides concise guidance. Few regulations are not followed by letters of interpretations which are then usually followed by other LOIs. One of the most significant unintentional typos that I saw was a one letter substitution that changed "it is not required" to "it is now required".
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 12-22-20, 02:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Doesn't drive me not sane. That sentence really does not address his presence, only a condition: "absent without leave" (aka AWOL). In actual communication, you wouldn't phrase it in the present tense if he were present, though.

Back to the original topic - I've dealt with federal and military regulations for most of my working life and can say that they are never crafted in a way that provides concise guidance. Few regulations are not followed by letters of interpretations which are then usually followed by other LOIs. One of the most significant unintentional typos that I saw was a one letter substitution that changed "it is not required" to "it is now required".
Liked for the first sentence!

I write a lot of agreements which, when signed, become court decrees. The main goal there is to write something that's so clear that if the parties ever dispute it, you know how a judge will interpret it. Prose written for that purpose is rarely elegant, but clarity can generally be accomplished because it's usually only two parties involved, and the universe of contingencies is relatively manageable (although COVID made a hash of more than a few of those, hard to see that one coming). Regs get messy because they're trying to specify guidance for an indefinite number of parties often for an infinite period of time. The possible contingencies are simply too many to estimate, and you tend to end up with language that gets vague in the fine grain.

I'm still suspicious that someone deliberately inserted this "typo", but that probably has more to do with my feelings about this administration's integrity than it does an objective appraisal of the odds. The general rule that one should not assume nefarious plotting as the explanation when stupidity or incompetence could be the explanation still seems reasonable.

"He's not AWOL! He's standing right there" is not illogical, BTW.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-22-20, 06:09 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
If not for exceptions there would be no need of rules...

And not AWOL means one is absent with a valid reason.

ex-GI
Old 12-23-20, 08:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by grayEZrider
And not AWOL means one is absent with a valid reason.

ex-GI
It could. It could also mean he's not absent as AWOL is an offense requiring 2 elements--1) absence from duty 2) without authorization to be absent. Not being absent from duty is a defense to the charge. "He's not AWOL, it's a clerical error that failed to record his presence" would be a very good defense to the charge even before a military tribunal unless it was the accused's duty to record their own presence.

It's also an expression in common informal usage which is basically "absent" or asleep at the switch. The example shows that context is important.
Old 12-24-20, 11:12 AM
CliffordK

An easier way to write the sentence:
Cycling is allowed on any street not posted as prohibited
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 12-28-20, 09:56 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
The wheels of our bureaucratic democracy are out of true, slightly taco'd, missing a few spokes and a little rusty. Probably need to patch and pump the tires, too.
I'm of the opinion that the entire drive train is suspect. Our democracy is supposed to represent everyone but for some time the wealthy are over represented. It was almost a laughing matter when a contingent of GM showed up in Washington to beg some money, having traveled in their corporate jet. In the meantime, there are stupid people about who complain loudly about welfare queens when corporate welfare dwarfs what any individual can get away with.