Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Used bike pricing

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-20, 11:54 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
If that bike is a Pinarello it's worth more than a Trek. To your point.
Location also matters. I'm near Madison, WI where people still think Trek is an American bike. Here you can pull a bike that was thrown into the lake 30 years ago and sell it as long as you take a sharpie and write "Trek" on the frame.

Overall this thread would have gone much better if all necessary information would have been in the OP and not that trickle of relevant information after we spent time guessing.
Old 12-31-20, 02:17 PM
rovis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks again for all your input! Definitely some sound advice and practical perspectives.
In the end, I've had a 'talk' with my friend and he came up with a $500 price. Which sounds reasonable to me.
Regarding the wheel issues, these started recently. I've started using this bike, about 6 months ago, and since I'm still working, my mileage is still low.
Considering the sale price,, a wheel update/upgrade is definitely the next purchase.
Old 12-31-20, 02:34 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
The wheels may or may not be shot..they could just need servicing..entry decent wheels will probably go $300 and up. ( may be optimistic here..prices continue to rise..)
Old 12-31-20, 03:51 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by rovis
Thanks again for all your input! Definitely some sound advice and practical perspectives.
In the end, I've had a 'talk' with my friend and he came up with a $500 price. Which sounds reasonable to me.
Regarding the wheel issues, these started recently. I've started using this bike, about 6 months ago, and since I'm still working, my mileage is still low.
Considering the sale price,, a wheel update/upgrade is definitely the next purchase.
You are leaving out a lot of information here.... sounds the friend lent you the bike for a long time and now wants to transfer it officially. This is very reasonable from the friend's side. If that information would have been available int he OP, some people may have advised differently.

The quality of the answers widely depends on the quality of the question and the facts provided.
Old 01-03-21, 05:22 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Id pass on the bike.Friendship is always worth more IMO
Old 01-03-21, 08:36 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Bikes have a very steep depreciation curve. If you don't have the necessary skills & abilities to do upgrades & repairs yourself then, just give up. Bike stores stay in business by selling new bikes. Not repairs. Bicycle assembly line robots can spew out 1000 brand new bikes in about the same amount of time that you can change a tire. We're living in an era when it's cheaper to dispose of a manufactured item than to repair it. Be good. Have fun.