Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

phone and powerbank mount

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-21, 05:35 AM
wilson_smyth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Using a phone for navigation on an 8-10 hour cycle and it just wont hold up.
Id like to see what mounts people use to attach their phone and ideally a powerbank to the front of a bike?
Lot of recommendations for quad lock which although expensive, looks like it will do the job well, all except for holding a powerbank.

Worst case scenario ill duct tape the powerbank under the stem and it will be fine for the day but id like something a little tidier!
Old 01-18-21, 06:15 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Toptube bag?

Handlebar feedbag?

Old 01-18-21, 06:48 AM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Quad Lock fan here. They offer 10% off if you sign up for their email.
Old 01-18-21, 06:53 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Even with a power bank, do you think your phone will last 8-10 hours? There are some cycle computers with GPS that will last more than 10 hours easily and the prices have come down a lot. I'd save your pennies and get the right tool for the job.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 01-18-21, 10:21 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by wilson_smyth
Id like to see what mounts people use to attach their phone and ideally a powerbank to the front of a bike?
Lot of recommendations for quad lock which although expensive, looks like it will do the job well, all except for holding a powerbank.

Worst case scenario ill duct tape the powerbank under the stem and it will be fine for the day but id like something a little tidier!
How often are you riding 8-10 hours and need constant navigation? If you are riding so frequently that you can do 10 hours rids and riding that far, then just invest in a GPS computer.

$80 https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...macro-easy-gps
$150 https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...28150603776086

You can load up a route and itll give you turn by turn directions with notification as turns are near. The batteries last for over 24hrs of use, its waterproof, and you then dont have a massive phone sitting atop your bars/stem.

Spend $80 on a simple solution...or you can buy a phone mount, power bank, and bag to hold the power.

For what its worth, I have a stem bag on my gravel bike and when I do long rides I store a lipstick charger in one of the outside pockets along with a couple of small cords for if anything dies(gps, ear buds, cell phone). Never needed to use it though because each device I use was selected to last long enough. The charger gets tossed back on the shelf at the end of each ride.
https://moosetreksbikepacking.com/pr...ebar-stem-bag/
Old 01-18-21, 10:53 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 472 Posts

I use this holder, the "KT 606 Bicycle combo mount". I got it for a stocking stuffer and like it enough not to replace it with anything else at the moment. $6 on Amazon. It works with or without a battery bank.

https://ifworlddesignguide.com/entry...ke-combo-mount
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 01-19-21, 05:43 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain

I use this holder, the "KT 606 Bicycle combo mount". I got it for a stocking stuffer and like it enough not to replace it with anything else at the moment. $6 on Amazon. It works with or without a battery bank.

https://ifworlddesignguide.com/entry...ke-combo-mount
That's an elegant solution !
Old 01-19-21, 02:51 PM
six four

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wilson_smyth

I like my Quad Lock - very solid solution. But I haven't used it with a power bank.
Old 01-19-21, 03:00 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
That's an elegant solution !
not sure if joking. "elegant" is not the first word that came to mind when I saw that.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 01-19-21, 03:34 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
not sure if joking. "elegant" is not the first word that came to mind when I saw that.
My first thought was, "there goes $1,000 attached to an 'elegant' mount."
Old 01-20-21, 01:14 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
Originally Posted by Troul
My first thought was, "there goes $1,000 attached to an 'elegant' mount."
It's actually pretty decent, I'll have to take a picture of it mounted. My phone is 5.5"x2.75", it probably wouldn't work great if you had a phone much bigger or smaller. It's really secure, but I haven't crashed with it so ...

​​​​
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 01-21-21, 08:53 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
It's actually pretty decent, I'll have to take a picture of it mounted. My phone is 5.5"x2.75", it probably wouldn't work great if you had a phone much bigger or smaller. It's really secure, but I haven't crashed with it so ...

​​​​
I've been on the hunt for something sort of like that, but without the elastic holding mechanism & instead with a QC that will not rattle.
Old 01-21-21, 10:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Bike computer for bike data, including navigation aids. Some bike computers can notify you of calls and texts. Check Bryton, Lezyne and others, besides Garmin, Wahoo, etc. The batteries will last a lot longer.

I use a very basic XOSS G+ that lasts two or three rides per charge, around 12-18 hours depending on whether I use the backlight. No navigation aids, no phone connectivity (other than syncing to Strava after a ride), just basic GPS tracking and some in-ride data -- speed, distance, time, grade.

Bluetooth doodad if you need phone access to take calls, etc. There are earbuds and headsets with touch and/or voice control for that. Friends who run businesses or need to be on call 24/7 use 'em for phone access. But the phone itself stays in a pocket or bag on the bike.

I used to use a convoluted mount and ANT+ adapter with extra power pack for my old iPhone 4s. Wouldn't want to go back to that now, although I still use that rig for my indoor trainer sessions since the ANT+ connectivity is handy for my older sensors. But my outdoor riding bikes are mostly Bluetooth sensors now, although the XOSS G+ and some other computers are compatible with both Bluetooth and ANT+.