Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

My geek thread

Old 09-15-20, 03:10 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Those of you who program (or perhaps even more importantly, those of you who write short/small scripts or programs) how do you stop from getting sucked in?

​​​​​​I have a script I'm working on for work, doing some text conversion and plain text database manipulation stuff. I enjoy this stuff, and in particular this is small (500 lines), entirely mine, complex enough to be challenging, and has a very short feedback loop because I can run it and review results in about 5 seconds.

The short feedback loop really gets me addicted I think, plus I have no roadblocks or anything from other people. I'd rather keep working on this until I'm done instead of stopping for the evening. I realize it's a problem (and I did stop, although I might work tonight...) but even though I realize it's a problem it's a basic adrenaline, dopamine thing that's really hard to stop.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 09-15-20, 07:23 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Can you make anything out of this? It is an agenda. It is designed to have the reader wonder, not understand and not think it is too wacked out.
I started coding in '84 to support magnetic calculations, then manufacturing then CAD then ... Anyway now, not much technologically is interesting unless it increases revenue.
I spit this out this morning after 3 espressos (not drinking espresso at posting time) rather than a product plan as I think philosophies are the real starting point. -Product is something repeatable that can be priced and delivered to address customer requirements.
EDIT: - I lost all the indenting when I saved it. I'll still leave it.

Services, code, hardware, methodology.

-People buy on emotion and justify by logic

Emotion – Platform, FOMO, new, New shiny, people preference

Logic – Cash, track record, low FUD

-People buy from people that they know and trust and people that understand their business.

Our wheelhouse

-People who are trustworthy

-Track Record

-Enterprise systems

-Manufacturing and distribution (process)

-Small / Medium businesses

-We know their platform

-Independent buying cycle is better

-Increasing revenue by increasing market is easier than by increasing features.

Platform adoption

-Market is increased by providing features on the customer’s preferred platform.

Platform adoption

I cut the rest.
Likes For Doge:
Old 09-17-20, 12:23 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Those of you who program (or perhaps even more importantly, those of you who write short/small scripts or programs) how do you stop from getting sucked in?

​​​​​​I have a script I'm working on for work, doing some text conversion and plain text database manipulation stuff. I enjoy this stuff, and in particular this is small (500 lines), entirely mine, complex enough to be challenging, and has a very short feedback loop because I can run it and review results in about 5 seconds.

The short feedback loop really gets me addicted I think, plus I have no roadblocks or anything from other people. I'd rather keep working on this until I'm done instead of stopping for the evening. I realize it's a problem (and I did stop, although I might work tonight...) but even though I realize it's a problem it's a basic adrenaline, dopamine thing that's really hard to stop.
Usually my code is to fix an issue or automatic an installation process. I'm usually on a timeline, so once its serviceable I just end it there. None of my stuff is customer facing so it doesn't need to be pretty. Also, 90% of my stuff is Powershell.
Old 09-17-20, 02:14 PM
Flatballer
No matches

I need to learn Powershell probably. Whenever I need to glue things together I use batch files still. I've heard good things.
Old 09-17-20, 03:37 PM
Doge

I need to learn Powershell probably. Whenever I need to glue things together I use batch files still. I've heard good things.
Do you manage Exchange?
Old 09-17-20, 03:40 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Doge
Do you manage Exchange?
No, I program/configure/update/install SCADA systems for electric utilities.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 10-01-20, 11:07 PM
jfa100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think what helps is drawing out a flow chart/diagram and work from there, that way you're not spending an inordinate amount of time on said program. It really is like a puzzle tho, so I can see how you could get sucked in
Old 11-09-20, 10:23 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bought a new laptop today. It'd been 5 years, and the hinges were half-broken and the webcam broke a few weeks ago, so it was time.

MSI GE75 Raider. i9-10750H, RTX-2070 (115W 8 GB refreshed version), 16 GB ram, 512 GB SSD/1TB HD, 144 hz 17.3" screen. Per-key RGB keyboard.

Compared to my existing gaming laptop it's gonna be night and day. We've come a long way in 5 years, plus I'm going up a price point, from $1000 back then to about $1500 now (although it's on sale for $1200, or will be on Thanksgiving, and Costco has price protection so I can get the difference back).

Eventually probably upgrade the RAM to 32 GB, but other than that, I'm pretty happy with the stats.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 11-10-20, 02:42 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Our stupid monkey brains are so dumb. I've been perfectly happy with my existing laptop for years. I wasn't really toying with getting a new one, just hoping to get one for the wife soon once I can make her commit (she's using a Macbook from like 2010 to game on, it crashes constantly, it's awful, I would've thrown it through a window years ago). But since my webcam broke, I said screw it.

Now that I actually purchased one, I'm refreshing the order status on the website every 35 seconds (approximately). Costco is extraordinarily ambitious with its shipping estimate apparently. When I ordered yesterday it said "earliest delivery 11/10". It still says in the order "earliest delivery 11/10" even though it's almost 4 PM and it apparently hasn't shipped. I don't have high hopes, I'd be happy to have it Thursday honestly, but it's just funny how much I care all of a sudden.
Old 11-10-20, 07:54 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Our stupid monkey brains are so dumb. I've been perfectly happy with my existing laptop for years. I wasn't really toying with getting a new one, just hoping to get one for the wife soon once I can make her commit (she's using a Macbook from like 2010 to game on, it crashes constantly, it's awful, I would've thrown it through a window years ago). But since my webcam broke, I said screw it.

Now that I actually purchased one, I'm refreshing the order status on the website every 35 seconds (approximately). Costco is extraordinarily ambitious with its shipping estimate apparently. When I ordered yesterday it said "earliest delivery 11/10". It still says in the order "earliest delivery 11/10" even though it's almost 4 PM and it apparently hasn't shipped. I don't have high hopes, I'd be happy to have it Thursday honestly, but it's just funny how much I care all of a sudden.
I thought you had it already.

I'd be excited too as that those specs are crazy. You will enjoy it after the first the first few days of installing...
Old 11-10-20, 08:03 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
I thought you had it already.

I'd be excited too as that those specs are crazy. You will enjoy it after the first the first few days of installing...
It'll be here tomorrow, finally updated. Yeah, since I work from home I can sit it next to me in my office and hit a button every once in a while to install and download stuff. Also gonna under volt probably. It keeps them much quieter with basically no performance penalty.
Old 11-11-20, 09:56 AM
Flatballer
No matches

It'll be here tomorrow, finally updated. Yeah, since I work from home I can sit it next to me in my office and hit a button every once in a while to install and download stuff. Also gonna under volt probably. It keeps them much quieter with basically no performance penalty.
Liars. Liars all of them.

UPS has updated now and doesn't show a date anymore, Costco didn't even give them the package yet supposedly. So today seems unlikely. Maybe tomorrow.... I was hoping to have a work day to fix it up before the weekend, but now I can't do that probably. Lame.
Old 11-13-20, 05:12 PM
Flatballer
No matches

I had more ssd storage on my last laptop than I remembered. So I'm replacing the HDD with the 2.5 inch ssd out of my old laptop, and adding a 1TB NVME 3500 ish speed M2.
Old 11-15-20, 12:10 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
I had more ssd storage on my last laptop than I remembered. So I'm replacing the HDD with the 2.5 inch ssd out of my old laptop, and adding a 1TB NVME 3500 ish speed M2.
Does that mean you finally have it?
Old 11-15-20, 12:48 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Does that mean you finally have it?
Yep. And mostly set up. It's fast. Amazing the difference.
Old 11-17-20, 10:25 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Guessing most folks on here read xkcd, but the last few have been good. Yesterday's was excellent, one of his best.

https://xkcd.com/2386/

The one from the 11th is something my wife and I keep talking about whenever we're watching stuff.

https://xkcd.com/2384/
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 11-18-20, 02:17 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Guessing most folks on here read xkcd, but the last few have been good. Yesterday's was excellent, one of his best.

https://xkcd.com/2386/

The one from the 11th is something my wife and I keep talking about whenever we're watching stuff.

https://xkcd.com/2384/

The first link is super old.

SMBC is better.
Old 11-18-20, 04:53 AM
Flatballer
No matches

The first link is super old.

SMBC is better.
The first panels are old, the last few are new addition.
Old 01-17-21, 12:50 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

I went a little nutty and made this. Like and follow my crap haha!

Last edited by Enthalpic; 01-17-21 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-19-21, 03:29 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
has anyone ever programmed a power duration curve for a single ride? would love tips if you have, I'm revisiting my python/django project and realized what I have is totally off and giving me goofy results.
Old 01-19-21, 05:42 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
has anyone ever programmed a power duration curve for a single ride? would love tips if you have, I'm revisiting my python/django project and realized what I have is totally off and giving me goofy results.
Very crudely, in Excel.

I took the raw power data and calculated various moving averages over different durations (30s, 1min, 2min, 4min, 6min, 10min, 20min) and then found the maximums in each of the new smoothed data columns.

I then used those maximums when doing model fitting for the power duration curve.

Probably could be coded using a simple array easily.

Last edited by Enthalpic; 01-19-21 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-19-21, 07:12 PM
hubcyclist

Very crudely, in Excel.

I took the raw power data and calculated various moving averages over different durations (30s, 1min, 2min, 4min, 6min, 10min, 20min) and then found the maximums in each of the new smoothed data columns.

I then used those maximums when doing model fitting for the power duration curve.

Probably could be coded using a simple array easily.
thanks! Makes sense to me, although my simple programming mind needs to figure out a way to program that. Should be a fun project lol
Old 01-19-21, 07:40 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
thanks! Makes sense to me, although my simple programming mind needs to figure out a way to program that. Should be a fun project lol

https://www.kite.com/python/answers/...list-in-python
https://www.programiz.com/python-pro...s/built-in/max
Old 01-20-21, 07:27 AM
hubcyclist

Success! I was already on the road of doing the pandas.rolling thing but I was off, what appears to work is a for loop which I think finds all the max averages of each iteration from 1 to the full length of the ride and puts them in a list, which I then put in another dataframe to graph

for i inrange(1, ridelength):
iw=spc2['watts'].rolling(window=i).mean().max()
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 01-20-21, 05:40 PM
Doge

I'm very excited and impatient.
Been trying to hire the best coder/architect I know of (in 35 years of hundreds of developers) for the last 2 years.
Got the hook set, now need to get him online. Got verbal's but it is complicated as he's virtual and not in the USA, although a USA citizen. We got lawyers involved.
Likes For Doge:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.