Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

How to actually "get a bike"?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 02-10-21, 03:29 PM
Sommy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

What's the trick to actually finding a bike during the pandemic? I did a lot of research online and picked out the Giant Talon 1 as the bike I want. I went to my local shop to look at bikes and asked the guy about this particular bike and he said he didn't know when they would be coming in.

I went online and the closest bike shows 700+ miles away. Ugh.

How can I actually find a bike like the Giant Talon 1 these days?
Old 02-10-21, 05:50 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
If you know what size you need, and find a shop which has one, maybe have them ship to your LBS (will cost ya tho). Or, if willing to buy a used, unseen one, check out CL, Ebay, facebook marketplace, maybe ask on social media if anyone knows where one might be located. Covid has caused a shortage of most bikes, as you are finding out. Wish ya luck!

Last edited by freeranger; 02-10-21 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-10-21, 06:07 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,385 Times in 2,733 Posts
You are unlikely to be able to buy a specific bike this year. Be open to more options, take what you can get or be prepared to wait.
Old 02-10-21, 06:22 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You are unlikely to be able to buy a specific bike this year. Be open to more options, take what you can get or be prepared to wait.
This!

Some bike shops will accept pre orders with a deposit or down payment. But take the delivery time they give you and add an extra couple of months of cushion. Your best bet if you want to enjoy a new-to-you bike at all this year is to find something in the second hand market.
Old 02-10-21, 06:34 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Where I am in S E Asia, the bike shops are full. I don't know if you can buy a bike online from another country. Consider the idea.
Old 02-10-21, 07:03 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Go visit your local bike shops and buy something that they do have in stock. If a Giant Talon is your ideal, go around. Other brands will have something similar.
Old 02-11-21, 06:50 AM
metz1295

Bikes: '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact; '21 Trek Roscoe 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
If you know exactly what you want, you'll need to get your order in, then be show patience.

My first choice was a Trek Marlin 6. Got on the waiting list Aug. '20. Initial delivery date was in Jan. '21. A month later is was pushed to May '21. While waiting, I learned more about various upgrades and did some research on the Trek Roscoe 7. Once I decided the $500 upgrade was worth my extra effort, I went back to my LBS to ask more questions in October '20. My original order of the Marlin had been pushed all the way to Aug. '21. What? Almost an entire year. However, the Roscoe 7 I was looking at could be here in Jan. '21. Getting a better bike 7 months sooner was totally worth $500, so I placed the order and cancelled the Marlin. Also, to my surprise, the Roscoe showed up a month early in Dec. '20. Merry Christmas to me.

So, back to my original point. Get on the list, then be patient. My LBS didn't make me pay for anything till it was delivered. Made it easy to switch my order. Hopefully, your LBS will do the same.
Old 02-11-21, 07:50 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
the Talon 1 is a pretty basic, entry-level XC bike. it looks like a great choice—not low-end but looks to have durable parts that won't hold you back if you ride it hard. but there are many bikes like it in that price range that will also be perfect for you. you need to ask yourself: do you want a bike to ride now, or a bike to ride at some in undetermined date in the future? if you can wait, get the shop to put it on a watch list and grab one for you when available. be prepared to wait more than 6 months for that. if you don't have a bike to ride in the mean while, I'd start looking at alternatives that are available sooner. with entry-level bikes, there's usually not a huge difference between one model and another. these companies all compete with one another, so they build similar bikes for the same price.
Old 02-11-21, 08:44 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2974 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
There are bikes out there if you look around. Between ebay, Pinkbike, MTBR and your bike shop, it's not that hard to find a bike.

I've been looking for a Trek Domane for road riding. Found some on ebay and pinkbike and even a bike shop. The bike shop I found it at has a few of them in stock and they are about 130 mile drive away.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...ort=price-down
Old 02-11-21, 06:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Sommy
I went online and the closest bike shows 700+ miles away. Ugh.
You're looking at this wrong. It's a plane ticket to a 700 mile bikepacking adventure!
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 02-11-21, 08:26 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You're looking at this wrong. It's a plane ticket to a 700 mile bikepacking adventure!
Haha! These are the times when someone could make an absurd documentary about the quest for that elusive unicorn mountain bike called the Giant Talon. You have been looking for one for months but it’s nowhere to be found. When you finally zero in on one online, it is halfway across the country. You manage to put a deposit on the last one available in your size. But not only that, the bike shop also imposes a 48-hour deadline to pick it up in person! - they state that their dealer agreement doesn’t allow them to ship out of state. They tell you they have a long line of bunnies waiting to buy that same Talon 1. You rush to purchase a one-way airline ticket. There is a pandemic going on, but no way in hell you’re letting that Talon 1 go. And that’s just the beginning! The documentary goes on to detail about the incredible adventure of “driving it” home.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 02-11-21 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-11-21, 10:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
If you want a bike, ask the shop to order one and pay up right away and know you are going to wait and wait and wait but it will come. Bikes are coming but things are in massive demand. You might look at other bikes as well and maybe up the budget a little bit which will get you a better bike and potentially more chance of getting the bike right away.
Old 02-12-21, 09:32 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2974 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Ummmm...see the link I posted above. Plenty of Giant Talons out there that people are willing to ship to you.