Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How To Find Your Ideal Bicycle Saddle by Oz Cycling - 3 Part Video Series on Youtube

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How To Find Your Ideal Bicycle Saddle by Oz Cycling - 3 Part Video Series on Youtube

Old 02-26-21, 01:56 PM
dmeans2anend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

Hi Folks,

I went to YouTube to figure out how to measure my sit bone again and stumbled on probably the most thorough and technical videos that I've seen on 'How to find your Ideal Saddle' by Oz Cycle. There are three parts to the entire video series on how to find your ideal saddle and it break it all down in technical details that is relevant to saddle selection.

I've summarized each video briefly for those interested. You might already know some of this information like I did from years of riding and skip to watching what may be relevant to you. However, I found all three videos very informative but mostly video #2 was what I needed to further my understanding. Hope it helps those of you still seeking the Holy Grail of Saddle for your particular style of riding.

Find Your Ideal Bicycle Saddle Part 1 (30 minutes) - It goes into discussion of how physiology, anatomy, style of riding, ride position, body imperfections and measurements of saddle height, seat to handlebar length, and tilt position all impact seat saddle selection. I found this video relatively basic information for most serious riders but if you are new to cycling, this information is critical.

Find Your Ideal Bicycle Saddle - Part 2 (26 minutes) - In this series, he goes into more depth about sit bone width and how to measure it; the style of riding (shown below) and adjustment that should be added to sit bone width to determine the seat size; and about the different features in each saddle as shown below and how it impacts your riding.

Adjustments to make to Sit Bone Width based on the Style of Riding: For example, if your measured sit bone is 110 mm and your style of riding is racing (aggressive position), then you would need add 10mm to right of the sit bone width and 10mm to left of the sit bone width so your ideal seat size is about 130 mm.

a) Aero (Time Trial) -- + 0mm adjustment for each side
b) Racing -- + 10 mm adjustment for each side (meaning add a total of 20 mm to 'measured' sit bone width for ideal seat size as shown in example above).
c) Endurance / Sport -- + 20 mm adjustment for each side
d) Recreational (Upright) -- + 30 mm adjustment for each side
e) Casual (Very Upright) -- + 40mm adjustment for each side

Features of the Saddle:
1) Width of Sit Bone
2) Cut Out of Saddle or Perineum Relief Channel
3) Flat or Rounded Saddle
4) Back to Front Shape ( Flat or S Wave)
5) Nose Style
6) Shell Type (Carbon or Plastic)
7) Rail Type (Carbon, Titanium, CrMo, Steel)
8) Padding
9) Cover Type (Synthetic or Leather)
10) Transition Curves

Find Your Ideal Bicycle Saddle - Part 3 (28 minutes) - This series focus mainly on Test Rides and what to feel for and how to make minute adjustments to the bike during your test ride.

Last edited by dmeans2anend; 02-26-21 at 02:03 PM.
Likes For dmeans2anend:
Old 02-26-21, 02:20 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
These same ideas have be hashed and re-hashed since I was a small boy.

But I guess it doesn't hurt to try and inform others that might not have graduated to the been there and done that with their saddles yet.
Old 02-26-21, 03:09 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
I won't believe anything like this unless one can measure a saddle and a person and, based on those measurements, predict how the person will respond to the saddle.
Old 02-26-21, 03:56 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
I use a condensed method for myself, BUTTTT if the above videos can help others that have the time to watch it all... cool.
Old 02-26-21, 05:47 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Thanks it is always good to put this kind of information out there so that people can learn about saddle issues. Just because you know it doesn’t mean someone else doesn’t.
Old 02-26-21, 06:14 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I think I could take it a bit more serious if he wouldn't call the saddle a "seat".

Although I only ride flat bar bikes, is till found it interesting.
Old 02-26-21, 06:16 PM
dmeans2anend

Ed Wiser: Thank you for your comment.

I totally agree. For one, I've been fitted and measured. I've been there and done that. I've tested saddles and know generally the critical criteria for saddle selection.

With all that said, I sure as heck don't have the arrogance to say "I know it all". I hope that I never do. No matter how much I ride (and I've done decades worth!), and no matter how much I know. For me, I am always learning and fine tuning things. I am always surprised how much more I can glean and adapt from the knowledge of others even if it is the most basic of information to get the MOST out of my riding and avoid costly mistakes or injuries. It challenges my thinking and reaffirms what I do understand. Things are always changing : new technology, new materials, the body is dynamic and we are constantly aging, changing (injuries), and deteriorating. Therefore, criteria for saddle selection will probably change as you age and with new offerings from the industry.

I point to this video series because it is the MOST COMPREHENSIVE that I have seen covering all the criteria with respect to saddle selection that I have come across. For those that don't want to watch but feel the need to make judgmental comments, it is their lost.

It seems to me that there are those on BF who claim to know it all but never offer or share anything of REAL SUBSTANCE to benefit the BF community. They just troll the site and waste everyone's time.
Old 02-26-21, 06:34 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
Probably not as much appreciation here for copy and paste as there would be for original content.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-26-21, 06:47 PM
dmeans2anend

shelbyfv: I don't seek appreciation nor do I need it. The intent was simply the DISSEMINATON OF USEFUL AND RELEVANT information to BF Community. I don't feel the need to reinvent the wheel when someone else has already done a fine job. I'm simply letting everyone else know how great it is and how it might benefit them to know about it. That is the difference.
Old 02-26-21, 06:53 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-27-21, 06:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
There are also those on BF who get given useful content and refuse to take it because it required doing work on your own rather than just a nice spoon feeding. The snarky comments are nice though they add a great touch of high and mighty.

One thing important to saddles is proper seatpost height and saddle angle and setback which I hope he touched on because that is quite important and was missed here in the breakdown. I sadly didn't wish to watch over an hour of videos but I have to imagine he mentioned it and went into some depth just judging by the length and having three videos. Also saddles can have rubber shells and cotton/canvas tops like the Brooks Cambium Saddles. Though I do enjoy a good Aussie accent so points to them for having that.
Old 02-28-21, 03:44 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I spent a lot of time and money on searching for a saddle; finally wound up riding a Selle SLR Gel Max Flo that goes for around $200. No biggie, but not cheap.

Few years later I see that those are on sale online for $98. Score! I order another ... and they'd completely re-configured the saddle. I double- and triple-checked ... nah, not my imagination. What once was a cracker-flat saddle now featured undulating front-to-back curves, and more gel than previously (both are stamped L3).

Drives me nuts.
Old 03-01-21, 05:04 PM
dmeans2anend

Originally Posted by Danhedonia
I spent a lot of time and money on searching for a saddle; finally wound up riding a Selle SLR Gel Max Flo that goes for around $200. No biggie, but not cheap.

Few years later I see that those are on sale online for $98. Score! I order another ... and they'd completely re-configured the saddle. I double- and triple-checked ... nah, not my imagination. What once was a cracker-flat saddle now featured undulating front-to-back curves, and more gel than previously (both are stamped L3).

Drives me nuts.
I totally agree. It seems just when manufacturers get really good with a design and get high consumer demands for it, they start 'redesigning' it with cheaper products or cut corners in order to meet the demand. It becomes a completely different product. I wish they would just leave it alone. Or come out with a NEW product name or give it NEW generation indicator for it ( IV, X, XI, etc) so consumers know the difference.
Likes For dmeans2anend: