Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling and Fat loss

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling and Fat loss

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-19, 01:02 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
As someone who IS fat, no. It won't help that much with targeting the belly area. Pilates will for sure-man does it work that area. I use bike ride days as my leg day, and it does work well for that. And any time you spend away from the kitchen eating will help with weight loss. Embrace the feeling of hunger, its pretty much what you want to do to drop weight. I have arthritis and am not able to do a whole lot of different exercises, but I drop weight fast swimming laps. Well as long as I am not on Prednisone that is. And when it comes off its all over. But be warned, the fat may go but the skin will still be there. But your health will be much improved.
And there is something about riding a bike that is just plain FUN!
Old 07-15-19, 01:09 PM
RISKDR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Cycling IS effective for fat loss but not targeted fat loss. When you lose fat through diet and or exercise it comes off all over your body. There is no such thing as "spot reducing". That said, losing fat is a process of calories expended vs calories burned. Where the fat comes off does have something to do with YOUR genetics. Some people deposit fat around there middle first and it is last to go. Since you are doing a combination of cycling and resistance training you will gain some muscle as well. Every muscle cell you add is like a little engine. It burns fuel (fat) while it is resting. Even when you sleep. However, adding muscle where you want to lose fat will still have you losing all over your body and will not take the fat from where the muscle happens to be.
Likes For RISKDR1:
Old 07-15-19, 01:10 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Diets don’t work. Best way to go crazy and drive everybody around you nuts. Burn massive calories on the bike and don’t over eat. Push a lawn mower or other chores.
Diets do work if you are honest with the calories. However, diets are sustainable.
It is better to modify your eating the form lasting habits that are healthier. Biking with help keep future weight from piling but will not help lose the weight alone.
Old 07-15-19, 01:15 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Fat tends to come off from the last place it was put on. If your stomach was the last thing to get fat, then it will come off from their first. I think this may be typical for men.
i am a woman and we are built differently. I am a pear shape and my weight is coming off fro the top first. My hips and things will be the last thing to get slim.
Meanwhile, weight training and cycling with help tone the muscles you have and build and will make you feel and look better.
Old 07-15-19, 01:25 PM
Daytriker

Bikes: HP Velotechnik / Trident

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Losing Belly Fat

My advice for losing your belly fat would be to get into a routine & stick to it. If you can run or jog for a 1/2 mile each & every day. Once that becomes easy increase your distance until you can run 1 mile. It is really tough at first but in my mid 40's I was able to lose 25 lbs. in 3 months by gradually increasing my distance to 5 miles every other day. Setting yourself a small target & reaching it is far better than setting yourself a higher target & giving up. I also ate whatever the hell I wanted including chocolate bars. No kale or rabbit food for me because I knew I wouldn't stick to it. I also had a heavy work load that I am sure helped burn off any excess calories. Not the best nutritional diet I know but it worked because I stuck to it which I think is far more effective than any fad diets.
Likes For Daytriker:
Old 07-15-19, 01:39 PM
drbarney1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Make amateur bodybuilding a permanent part of your life, doing 40 to 60 minutes of working with weights at a minimum of 3 days a week preferably 6 days a week. Get started with an online coaching system or consider payng for a session or two at a gym. Muscle mass consumes calories at rest and will help remove unwanted body fat. Your diet must completely eliminate all commercial foods such as McDonald's, breakfast cereals; e.g. fruit loops, Captain Crunch, Cheerios, orange juice which is as loaded with excess sugar as soft drinks, french fries, ice cream and cake. You will find protein shakes and bars which outclass the flavor of pop tarts and ice cream.
I had a bully of a boss who allowed faculty to eat lunch during his faculty meetings and everyone else was eating doughnuts and Coca Cola. He told me not to eat my Greek yogurt with pumpkin seeds and almonds because eating such unusual food looks weird. I explained to him that everyone else had a pot belly from what they eat and what their American diet does to the body is more disgusting than what eating dog feces would do to the body; thus, if everyone around me is eating something worse than dog feces why should I care if eating real food instead looks weird to them. You have to reject peer pressure when it demands you compromise on your diet.
The changes in your body will not happen overnight. The first year you will make the most gains but after 4 years you will be able to gain 2 to 3 pounds of muscle per year as you get rid of dad bod fat. But don't worry, because you will get used to the bodybuilding lifestyle for the rest of your life. Just don't take steroids because natural looks good.
Likes For drbarney1:
Old 07-15-19, 07:25 PM
Hr1
Banned.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Cycling, being a low-impact cardio exercise, is an excellent way to lose body fat, in general. But (as you you seem to be asking about) , you can't target specific area for fat reduction (as with sit-ups, for example). Unfortunately, it just don't work that way.
Oddly, the body seems able to put it on in selective areas,(particularly belly,butt,thighs, depending on the individual's genetics) but you can't really reduce it the same way (to any meaningful degree, anyway.)
You're body is going to reduce fat, however it's programed to do it, all you can really do is keep exercising and eating properly till you get where you want to be.
A big positive you have going for you, is your age. You should have the energy to do enough exercise, and you're young enough that your body isn't desperately trying to hang onto any fat it has ( both issues us guys in our 50's have to deal with ! )
So (if you haven't already) completely drop the Cokes, candy, chips, high calorie junk food, etc., and drink nothing but water, and keep hitting the gym and the bike, and at your age, you should be able to lose fat very easily and quickly.
^ Excellent advice, completely agree.
Old 07-15-19, 07:47 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by mickeyaaaa
Weight loss/Fat loss is controlled 80% by diet. Any exercise will help burn some calories but its almost pointless if your diet is poor.

a 150 lb individual would have to cycle at a moderate pace for 2.5-3 hours just to burn off a big mac, large fries and medium soft drink. - now multiply that kind of eating by 3 meals per day plus snacks and you'd have to be cycling all day long just to make up for it - that is not realistic or even possible for most people.

I lost a large amount of weight 5 years ago (close to 30 lbs) just by changing diet - gave up all processed foods and animal foods - went whole food plant based/low oil and have kept it off since. I was not even working out regularly at the time.
You could also make no changes to your diet and by riding your bike for 1 hr a day you could lose 1 lb a week. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 07-16-19, 12:46 AM
mickeyaaaa

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
You could also make no changes to your diet and by riding your bike for 1 hr a day you could lose 1 lb a week. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
I respectfully disagree. In theory yes, but in reality no....because if OP makes no changes to diet, then adds exercise, he'll be more hungry from the exercise and eat more (more of what we are all assuming is an unhealthy diet) - essentially wiping out any gains from exercise. I worked out a lot at that age and always had a bigger appetite after a good workout.

OP is 16 and already feels he has more bodyfat than comfortable (it sounds like anyways). OP is still growing/thickening and most boys that age have a considerable appetite. Diet is the only way to make NOTICEABLE changes in bodyfat/bodyweight, exercise can enhance it but its nearly impossible to do it by exercise alone. Those folks on the Biggest Loser focused soooo much on exercise because it made for great tv, but most of them gain it back when they leave the show mainly because they go back to eating a lot of the foods they ate before...
Old 07-16-19, 02:17 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I respectfully disagree. In theory yes, but in reality no....because if OP makes no changes to diet, then adds exercise, he'll be more hungry from the exercise and eat more (more of what we are all assuming is an unhealthy diet) - essentially wiping out any gains from exercise. I worked out a lot at that age and always had a bigger appetite after a good workout.

OP is 16 and already feels he has more bodyfat than comfortable (it sounds like anyways). OP is still growing/thickening and most boys that age have a considerable appetite. Diet is the only way to make NOTICEABLE changes in bodyfat/bodyweight, exercise can enhance it but its nearly impossible to do it by exercise alone. Those folks on the Biggest Loser focused soooo much on exercise because it made for great tv, but most of them gain it back when they leave the show mainly because they go back to eating a lot of the foods they ate before...
You made a lot of assumption to come to that conclusion. He could be average or an anomaly. Without more information its just too much of a risk to offer any more reasonable advice. That's why I steered away from a more in depth answer. He could be super skinny or super fat. Too many unanswered questions here.
Old 07-16-19, 07:04 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts

People who focus on diet alone (like most of America) also have trouble keeping the weight off. The key is to have a balanced life and to recognize that when you are losing fat you're likely going to be hungry once in a while whether you're cutting net calories from diet or exercise.

Regarding exercise, an important element is consistency. It's better to ride for 1 hr every day than one 4 hr ride and couple of shorter rides. Long rides will increase appetite and the high calories which are not a problem on the big day spill over into subsequent days as people get into the habit of eating more. They're usually a little wiped out the next day so don't do anything other than eat.

I don't watch biggest loser my guess is that they didn't get fat through a lifetime of consistent exercise and once the novelty wears off they realize they don't really like exercise so they back off and the weight comes back.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 07-16-19, 07:46 AM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Weight loss/Fat loss is controlled 80% by diet. Any exercise will help burn some calories but its almost pointless if your diet is poor.

a 150 lb individual would have to cycle at a moderate pace for 2.5-3 hours just to burn off a big mac, large fries and medium soft drink. - now multiply that kind of eating by 3 meals per day plus snacks and you'd have to be cycling all day long just to make up for it - that is not realistic or even possible for most people.

I lost a large amount of weight 5 years ago (close to 30 lbs) just by changing diet - gave up all processed foods and animal foods - went whole food plant based/low oil and have kept it off since. I was not even working out regularly at the time.
Not just how much you eat, but what you eat. Processed foods especially wheat based and many industrial plant based products are contaminated by glyphosate.

Simply put, Glyphosate disrupts bacterial homeostasis and our enzymes. With obesity, more precisely, glyphosate destroys the species of bacteria which manufacture 90% of our Serotonin as only 10% is manufactured by our body. Serotonin is necessary for the production of other important biomolecules like melatonin the precursor to melanin.

Serotonin is also a signaling molecule and affects Grehlin and Amylin which are gut derived hormones. Our Grehlin and Amylin are directly impacted and these biomolecules control our satiety. Eating is modulated via aminergic neurotransmitters within the hypothalamus. Amylin is a peptide hormone that is co-secreted with insulin from the pancreatic beta-cell and is thus deficient in diabetic people. It inhibits Glucagon secretion, delays gastric emptying and acts as a satiety agent. Grehlin inhibits the release of Serotonin in the brain and Amylin inhibits dopamine release while not affecting Serotonin or norepinephrine. So depending on the severity, two conditions can be created, obesity by overeating or the opposite end of the spectrum, anorexia.

Yet another theory is that glyphosate probably disrupts the metabolism of fructose by gut microbes to PEP (phosphoenolpyruvate) which would normally then go on to become an aromatic amino acid (this is the shikimate pathway). Because shikimate is blocked, PEP piles up, and this prevents the microbes from converting fructose to PEP. Instead, they convert it to short chain fatty acids, which are then stored in the abdominal space

https://www.sott.net/article/296127-...-makes-you-fat

The answer of course, is to always eat organic.
Old 07-16-19, 07:53 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by blekenbleu
Cycling is good for improving metabolism, which helps burn fat,
but removing belly fat wants belly movement, for which yoga can be good.
This post is pretty much completely wrong.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 07-16-19, 08:00 AM
OBoile

But then he has made a change to his diet.
Old 07-16-19, 08:02 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by willibrord
Not just how much you eat, but what you eat. Processed foods especially wheat based and many industrial plant based products are contaminated by glyphosate.

https://www.sott.net/article/296127-...-makes-you-fat

Please stop.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 07-16-19, 08:26 AM
jefscolnago

Bikes: Colnago, Seven, Campy equipped, tubies

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It depends on how fast and how far.
Old 07-16-19, 09:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jefscolnago
It depends on how fast and how far.
And if you're riding to pick up a large pizza.
Old 07-16-19, 11:32 AM
mickeyaaaa

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord

I'm not a fan of Glyphosate either but jeez, quoting theories published on Sott.net is not a really reliable source...

"Signs of the Times is a news and opinion website that tends to focus on conspiracy theories and pseudoscience. They have quite a bit of legitimate news, but some of the outrageous stories overshadow it. (D. Van Zandt 1/31/2017)" - mediabiasfactcheck.com / signs-of-the-times-sott/ (i cant publish links yet)
Old 07-16-19, 11:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
And if you're riding to pick up a large pizza.
With extra cheese and extra pepperoni.
Old 07-17-19, 02:58 AM
Petros98223

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
exercise by itself is not a good way to lose weight, it accounts for only about 10 to 20 percent of your fitness. You have to change your diet.

Exercise helps, but you have to cut down on the sugar and other carbs, increase healthy protein intake, drink only water (and lots of of it). If you cut out sugar, and most carbs (grains, root vegetables/potatoes, breads, pasta, etc), cut back on fruit (too much sugar), eat lean protein (meat, eggs, fish, etc.) and "above ground" vegetables, you will loose fat fairly quickly with out much hunger.

Look up the Keto-genic diet, seems to work well for most people wanting to improve fitness. I have lost 54 lbs of fat on it (and gained 4 lbs of muscle mass with exercise), in 12 weeks, and have kept it off for 6 years. here is a website where you can sign up for free meal plan: https://www.dietdoctor.com/

good luck
Old 07-17-19, 07:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Petros98223
exercise by itself is not a good way to lose weight, it accounts for only about 10 to 20 percent of your fitness. You have to change your diet.

Exercise helps, but you have to cut down on the sugar and other carbs, increase healthy protein intake, drink only water (and lots of of it). If you cut out sugar, and most carbs (grains, root vegetables/potatoes, breads, pasta, etc), cut back on fruit (too much sugar), eat lean protein (meat, eggs, fish, etc.) and "above ground" vegetables, you will loose fat fairly quickly with out much hunger.

Look up the Keto-genic diet, seems to work well for most people wanting to improve fitness. I have lost 54 lbs of fat on it (and gained 4 lbs of muscle mass with exercise), in 12 weeks, and have kept it off for 6 years. here is a website where you can sign up for free meal plan: https://www.dietdoctor.com/

good luck
Counter--the keto diet doesn't work at all for the vast majority of people who try it.

Nice sales pitch. Flagged.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-17-19, 10:16 AM
BeginnerInFL

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Reading about all your experiences is very informative! I've lost 55 pounds in the past year through diet and an now incorporating weightlifting and bike riding. I've noticed that sometimes I do get very hungry after a ride but I will just drink water and it passes quickly.
Old 07-17-19, 04:23 PM
Petros98223

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Counter--the keto diet doesn't work at all for the vast majority of people who try it.

Nice sales pitch. Flagged.
I do not know about that, but it has worked for me (after many failed attempts to lose weight on other diets), and for thousands of other people too. There is lots of science, and studies, supporting the effectiveness if a ketogenic based diet.

What makes you think it does not work? have you even tried it under supervised conditions? I have, it has kept off my excess weight for 6 years so far, improved my health greatly.

I am not selling anything, I do not even use the program on that website link (it was not effective for me, I had to alter it). But that website is a good source of information with lots of useful links.

I was just trying to be helpful to the OP. what is this "flagged" bs? suddenly you are an expert on diet?
Old 07-17-19, 04:36 PM
Petros98223

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
big study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition demonstrates exercise has little effect in losing weight;

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/advanc...dFrom=fulltext
Old 07-17-19, 04:39 PM
Petros98223

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
more evidence:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/03/w...-exercise.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.