Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Which bibs for longer rides?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-10-20, 12:20 PM
CerveloS5

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo S5 Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts

Having recently recovered from hip surgery I'm really enjoying getting back into cycling. My typical weekday loop is 20 miles with mild elevation. I'd like to start doing 50 mile rides on the weekend and work towards a century in the Fall. I only have one pair of bibs - Pearl izumi Elite that I bought years ago, but haven't actually used all that much (until now). Now that I'm riding more frequently, I need to pick up a couple more bibs and jerseys so I don't have to wash the kit I have every night.

I'm not opposed to spending the money on quality bibs, but don't want to spend just for brand name. I'm 6' 188lbs (down from 205lbs 10 weeks ago) so typically end up in XL kit. So, which bibs would you recommend for longer rides?
Old 06-10-20, 03:41 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
The first PI bibs I bought are still great bibs. In between then and now, they went to a coarse, rasp-like thread for the chamois, and thickened the chamois to nearly plywood thickness, so I went looking elsewhere. Maybe they've returned to decent shorts by now.

I got a bunch of Performance bibs shortly before they closed up, so that's most of what I've been wearing. They're OK (with minimal chamois cream) up to about 75 miles, IME.

I got a pair of expensive Specialized bibs a year before I lost too much weight to wear them comfortably. They were great for that year, though.

The other brand I like is a pair of Aerotech bibs. If they're still in business, I'll buy some more of them when I wear out the Performance bibs I'm mostly using now.

Now for the disclaimer: YAMV.
Old 06-10-20, 04:10 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
The first PI bibs I bought are still great bibs. In between then and now, they went to a coarse, rasp-like thread for the chamois, and thickened the chamois to nearly plywood thickness, so I went looking elsewhere. Maybe they've returned to decent shorts by now.

I got a bunch of Performance bibs shortly before they closed up, so that's most of what I've been wearing. They're OK (with minimal chamois cream) up to about 75 miles, IME.

I got a pair of expensive Specialized bibs a year before I lost too much weight to wear them comfortably. They were great for that year, though.

The other brand I like is a pair of Aerotech bibs. If they're still in business, I'll buy some more of them when I wear out the Performance bibs I'm mostly using now.

Now for the disclaimer: YAMV.
fyi Performance is still on-line along with Nashbar.
Old 06-10-20, 04:38 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
I ride in Castelli bibs and they are among the most comfortable I've ever worn. My longest ride this year was 119 miles with nearly 9,000 feet of climbing, and climbing is harder on your sit bones than flatter riding. Pearl Izumi was a little thin for my uses but it was long ago when I last had a pair of them.
Old 06-11-20, 06:32 AM
CerveloS5

Thanks guys. Anyone riding with Assos Mille or Cento bibs? On the pricey side, but supposed to be designed for all day comfort on long rides?

Where are you guys typically buying your bibs from? LBS, nashbar, etc?
Old 06-11-20, 08:30 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Alas, I only wear bibs to eat lobster, so I wouldn't know myself. The guy from Path Less Pedaled seems to like the Velocio Men's Trail Mesh Bib Liner for wearing under normal clothes. I could never see spending over 100 dollars on something like that, even if it does look like it could double as bondage/domination-wear...

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 06-11-20 at 08:41 AM.
Likes For David Bierbaum:
Old 06-11-20, 08:54 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by CerveloS5
Thanks guys. Anyone riding with Assos Mille or Cento bibs? On the pricey side, but supposed to be designed for all day comfort on long rides?
Another 10-20 pounds, and maybe I can pour myself into an Assos.

LBS is the better way to find a pair that works for you. You get to look and touch (at least, when the LBS is open). I checked PI in the store for maybe 3-4 years after the pad went thick and hard. On a trip, stopped and bought a pair of relatively cheap Performance bibs, and they worked pretty well.

Mail order shipping and handling, along with buying the things in the first place, gets expensive. Try a single bib? Aerotech turned out to be worth it. Since I'd tried the Performance bibs, I bought three or four more when they went on sale. Nice to know they're still available; not so nice that I can't check them in a store to make sure they've not been cheapened.
Old 06-11-20, 09:51 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Three pairs of Assos - 2 older Mille and a newer Cento pair. Still my go to for anything super long - 8 hours plus - but I have a pair of Primal bibs and Bontrager Velocis that have worked fine on rides up to 200k.
Old 06-11-20, 10:09 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I'm sorry, I find going to a forum for advice on bike shorts, the most personal piece of clothing we wear riding, amusing. Fit is so critical. Being comfortable on a bike for hours means having a chamois that is just right,shape, coverage, material, no bunching, plus for us males, shorts/bibs must accommodate our genitalia in a way that is comfortable. We are radically different. (And the difference is obvious. We don't even need to drop out shorts, Just look at the different seats people find comfortable. I"m also old enough that all my gym showers were community affairs.)

Also you cannot separate what works "down there" from details like waist size, torso length (for bibs), leg length, constriction and elastic.

I have to try on shorts. I have to try on a couple of sizes of each type. Then I have to ride them. (I prefer shorts with clip-on suspenders. I also like that suspenders easily adjust to both torso length and the inevitable stretch. And even with that variable outof the picture, finding the "right" shorts is a try it on and see deal. A place where bike shops with changing rooms are money well spent.

Ben
Old 06-11-20, 10:11 AM
CerveloS5

Originally Posted by tigat
Three pairs of Assos - 2 older Mille and a newer Cento pair. Still my go to for anything super long - 8 hours plus - but I have a pair of Primal bibs and Bontrager Velocis that have worked fine on rides up to 200k.
Thanks - I might give the Assos Mille a go. Priced about the same as PI. How do they run as far as size?
Old 06-11-20, 10:27 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
I'm 6', 160 or so. Two pairs medium, 1 large. They are not far off the other brands, maybe half a size smaller, but the compression is not so great as to prevent getting them on, and the straps are generous.
Likes For tigat:
Old 06-11-20, 10:56 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Thanks - I might give the Assos Mille a go. Priced about the same as PI. How do they run as far as size?
There are many good names mentioned here, but the ASSOS Mille is my choice. ASSOS products wear well and are durable.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 06-13-20, 04:04 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts

I've been using Assos Mille for years now, and couldn't be happier. They are my only bibs now. I agree, a little pricey, but well worth the price. Look at their outlet page for a deal. I purchased said bibs directly through Assos. Take care..
Likes For Jumpski:
Old 06-13-20, 05:01 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
but does anyone still use chammy creme? haven't used it for years and only used it here and there. on long/hard rides, always more worried about cramps.
Old 06-13-20, 07:01 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
I have two pairs of Assos Mille and the chamois just doesn’t work with my rear. 30 miles seems to be my limit with both pair so it must be the design. On the other hand, I have several pair of Specialized RBX bibs and do centuries with no problems.

Like all clothes, fit and performance varies with the rider.

Old 06-13-20, 07:03 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
but does anyone still use chammy creme? haven't used it for years and only used it here and there. on long/hard rides, always more worried about cramps.
Not chamois crime but Butt Butter or the like if my tush has been feeling abraded a little after a few days of long rides.

Old 06-13-20, 08:35 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
The most comfortable pad I've found is the Dupont CoolMax 3D and 4D pads used by Spotti and Przewalski for their inexpensive bibs and shorts. Great basic kit, comparable to The Black Bibs stuff. The only nit I'd pick is the legs are slightly short for my thighs, which are a bit out of proportion, so I'd need custom or long-leg shorts/bibs from any maker.

But the pads are terrific for long rides, especially in hot sweaty weather. Wicks moisture away very efficiently so it never feels like I'm sitting in a wet sponge. And it retains the loft, density and cushioning through repeated wearings and washings.

They don't cost much, around $20 for the Przewalski shorts, $30-$35 for the Przewalski and Spotti bibs. Worth a try. And I prefer the very stretchy but supportive mesh suspenders on the Spotti bibs over The Black Bibs. With the Spotti bibs I can pull the front down for a pee break without partially undressing. With The Black Bibs I need to pull the jersey off one shoulder, slip the suspender part way down my arm, etc. Not with the Spotti bibs.
Old 06-14-20, 09:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I can Pee behind a tree, wearing regular bike shorts,

These optionally offer a fly, fixing the main problem with bib shorts, taking a leak wearing them..

https://www.kucharikclothing.com/pro...nel-p-105.html

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-22-20 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-18-20, 11:08 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
After working through a closet full of other brands, I stick with Assos. They are cut to fit very fit cyclists in the riding position. I'm about your height and weight currently (6', 185 lbs.) and the Large still fit me, but I"m UP from 163 lbs. You should try both L and XL. PI are more American fit (height and wt) and the Italian and Spanish companies usually are better for shorter, slimmer riders.
Old 06-18-20, 11:40 AM
CerveloS5

Originally Posted by Terex
After working through a closet full of other brands, I stick with Assos. They are cut to fit very fit cyclists in the riding position. I'm about your height and weight currently (6', 185 lbs.) and the Large still fit me, but I"m UP from 163 lbs. You should try both L and XL. PI are more American fit (height and wt) and the Italian and Spanish companies usually are better for shorter, slimmer riders.
Thanks - I ordered the Assos Mille in XL. Should arrive next week - I'll post again once I've had a chance to try them. Crossing fingers they fit.
Likes For CerveloS5:
Old 06-21-20, 03:51 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts

At 76 I started having chaffing problems, not saddle sores but raw areas I guess due to thinning skin as we age. I was using Castelli bibs which were always great but not anymore. I bought Assos which I was told were the best. same problem. I had read in forums that the Giordana Pro FRC bibs were good so I bought a pair ($250). They had a little thicker chamois. I also used Chamois butter. I have done centuries with 7000 feet of climbing with no problems. I have now found these bibs for about $113 from an Irish company so keep several pair.
Old 06-21-20, 04:24 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
I really enjoy the Black Bibs Ultimate at $80. I have used them for 7 longer 5-7 hour rides/climbs and find them a bargain at $80. I am 6'2" 205 and the XL fit perfectly with the inseam extending to about 2" above the knees. The chamois pad fits me and I have no chafing or sore spots. No shrinkage with cold water wash and hang drying. The garment material is thick and supportive. No complaints for me since I cannot justify spending $100-$300 for one pair of bibs.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 06-24-20 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-23-20, 11:01 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I highly recommend shopping here. They are local to me and I know the owner well. He not only carries top brands, his house brand is as good as you’ll find and at good prices. I use a lot of his shorts and jerseys. His service is exceptional as well.

https://classiccycling.com/collections/bib-shorts
Old 06-24-20, 07:15 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Rapha for me.
Old 06-24-20, 07:16 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
I have found that besides the individual, even the saddle makes a difference. My old bike had a Selle Anatomica and I had some low-end Pactimo bibs that worked great. Later I bought some of their high-end bibs on sale and they were not as comfortable. On my new bike, it's the opposite. The more expensive bibs are much better.

I won't recommend a particular brand but what I would say is find a company that keeps the same design for a long time. Some brands are always changing things so you may find something you like only to find it's no longer available the next time. The companies that do only cycling kit seem to be more consistent with the styles and construction.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.