Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

N+1 but do you have a favorite?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-19-20, 10:01 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

The gf and I own 13 bikes between us. 6 each on various road and gravel bikes and one Santana tandem that is a blast but we agree we have one favorite. Hers is a late 90’s Colnago Mapei in stunning condition with the 25th anniversary Dura Ace groupset, not her fastest or even most comfortable bike but it is her favorite. Mine is a mid 80’s Tommaso with vintage Campy Super Record that I recently added a Brooks B17 and matching leather bags and tape with vintage gum hoods. Nowhere near my fastest (or most expensive) but it’s like cruising around in an old hot rod😎

Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 06-20-20, 08:01 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I have two that I enjoy equally. A Guru Sidero (steel) and a CAAD12. I alternate rides between them.
Old 06-20-20, 08:44 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
I can honestly say there is not a favorite 1 or 2 or 3 out of about 15 road bikes.

But maybe the latest N+1 will BLOW THEM ALL AWAY!?!

Rickert - from perhaps 1959. Dortmund, Germany

Frameset with a few bits (for 1st look). Will take these 33mm knobbies, maybe with room for my Bluemel Popular fenders

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-20-20 at 02:01 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 06-20-20, 05:03 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
I pulled this one out of the basement the other day for my daughter. She may have to fight me for it.

Old 06-20-20, 06:06 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Out of the 12 or so rideable mix of road and mtb's, there's no ONE for me because some of them are better than others and visavis. Tough question for me to answer.
Old 06-20-20, 06:51 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Of the eight bikes I have, 3 of them get bumped around as being " my favorite one to ride." My late 80's Ochsner road I have had since I bought it brand new in '92, and rebuilt in spring of 2019, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet that I rebuilt this past spring, and the latest is my Soma Smoothie, not sure of the year, I purchased frame/fork NIB and finished building it about 3 weeks ago. I really like the 105 7000 groupset. The Tourmalet is now a 10 speed double with a mish-mash of Dura Ace, Ultegra, 105 and Tiagra. It all operates very well together. The Ochsner still has the original 105 front and rear derailleurs, DT 105 6 speed levers set in friction mode, and a 105 5600 10 speed cassette. It shifts great.
Old 06-21-20, 08:24 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
It depends and the latest answer is the bike Im currently riding or plan to ride next ...
This choice was/is based on the riding requirements (dirt or gravel or road) and desire (fastest ride or more classic ride)
Old 06-21-20, 09:06 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
N+1 but do you have a favorite?[
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
The gf and I own 13 bikes between us...Mine is a mid 80’s Tommaso with vintage Campy Super Record that I recently added a Brooks B17 and matching leather bags and tape with vintage gum hoods.

Nowhere near my fastest (or most expensive) but it’s like cruising around in an old hot rod😎
Originally Posted by ups
Like many people I don't have an unlimited budget or unlimited room. I think 3 bikes offers a good range...
I have previously posted:
Originally Posted by alexaschwanden
"What Bikes would be what cars."

I was thinking, what bikes would be what cars and this is what I came up with.

Road bikes = sedans
Cross bikes = rally cars
Mountain bikes= off road vehicles
Touring bikes= semi trucks
Tri-bikes = F1 vehicles
Vintage bikes= old classics
Fat bikes= monster trucks
Folding bikes= smart car
Hybrids bikes= SUVs

Just good for thought.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have previously posted my autocentric concept on a few threads
...I'm very happy with my Specialized S-Works for dry weather riding, but my Cannondale Mountain bike was pretty heavy and cumbersomeas a Wet/Winter beater. So I recently bought a Specialized Diverge Elite aluminum bike as a wet weather beater, and it rides nearly as nicely as the S-Works, so I'm very happy with the Diverge.

Now, the Cannondale is reserved completely for miserable studded-tire riding,and now I'm happy about that, and my riding needs are completely met. I liken my three bikes to a Lamborghini, a Lexus, and a Humvee.
"Help with choosing a bike"

...Now here’s where I’m coming from. I have described myself as a decades-long, year-round lifestyle cyclist, and my favored bike is a high-end carbon fiber bike costing thousands of dollars..

I also have a aluminum beater road bike costing about $1500, and for me that was a minimal road bike, to be used in bad weather.

FWIW, I also have a Giant Escape hybrid bike that I recently bought for rehabilitation, because I was having trouble with my neck and shoulders riding the drop bars.
...The new hybrid is a Buick.
The Lamborghini wins hands down.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-21-20 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-21-20, 11:36 AM
Cyclist7485
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 11 Posts
This bike sees more milage than my “race bike” which is more expensive and marginally lighter weight.
Waterford Precision Cycles R-33 , made-to-measure geometry, custom gauge TrueTemper S-3 Super Steel tubeset, paint-matched Enve 1.0 fork, Color: Anniversary Black

Last edited by Cyclist7485; 06-21-20 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-21-20, 11:48 AM
Cyclist7485
Banned.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 11 Posts
Here’s the previously mentioned race bike. Marginally lighter than the Waterford, less comfortable ride, noisier drivetrain, more expensive, but could more easily be replaced should anything catastrophic happen to it. My favorite crit weapon, but overall, the above Waterford is my favorite all-arounder.

2020 Specialized Tarmac Pro Disc Force Etap AXS

Last edited by Cyclist7485; 06-21-20 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-21-20, 12:37 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
a serious answer -

'Where am I going to ride?'
The mountains - take a triple, which one? Depends on grades/surfaces..
Cruisin the flat roads - feel fast? - take the vintage DeRosa.
Hilly & fast - modern bike w/ 50/34 gearing & brifters.
Family vacation at the beach = beach cruiser.
Daughter wants to ride together = tandem
Solitary relaxed = take a larger framed bike w/ 28mm tubulars

So which is favorite?
The regular ride(s) need variety. Different frames/tires/gears make the same ride differently interesting.
Old 06-21-20, 03:25 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I have a smaller fleet than some, but each bike has a specific purpose. Two are geared lower for riding longer climbs and steeper hills. One of those is newer and has disc brakes for safety reasons. Another Bike is geared and setup for riding around the house so it gets used on most of my rides. The other is a gravel bike and can be used for light touring. I have a mountain bike that’s mostly used for riding on the beach. I recently sold my Time Trial bike.
Old 06-21-20, 03:32 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts

I now have 10 "last bikes". Each new bike is my favorite. My current favorite is a Trek 7 series Madone with Zipp 404's due to the fact my S Works Tarmac was destroyed a couple weeks ago by a truck (first bike/motor vehicle crash in 40 years). But rest assured that my replacement S-works tarmac with 24 speeds (Sram Red) will be my new favorite.
Old 06-21-20, 07:15 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked 2,263 Times in 1,267 Posts
I ride all my bikes and until last year I would not have been able to choose a favorite. Last year I got a 1982 Medici Pro Strada and it is my favorite. I still like and ride all my other bikes but this Medici is just so darned fun to ride. It does not take away from my other bikes though as they all are special bikes.
Old 06-22-20, 08:54 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
I like my Chinese carbon for fast rides, its lighter than anything else (by 5 lbs) and I notice it, I use this bike for long rides, it's a stiff ride, has stiff wheels and 25mm tires at 110 psi, so you notice the pavement, but it's a good fit and I can really move on it.

My best fit might be my 22 year old lugged steel Miyata tourer, but it's 27 lbs and has the stiffest fork, so is only comfortable with a load. I had liked my Soma Smoothie, it rides like a good steel bike, but I stopped riding it when I got my gravel bike. I took the Soma out last week for the first time in 9 mos. and was surprised at how uncomfortable I found the cockpit. I use a Nitto Noodle bar, that I had thought I liked, but now found the position not to my liking, which is weird as I've ridden this bike for 12 years.

Problem is the Topstone aluminum I got last November has the most comfortable h-bar - an FSA Adventure drop bar. It's a remarkably comfortable position and I may replicate this bar and position. The Topstone also has 32mm tires that I can run at 70 and 80 psi (F-R) so it's a really smooth and comfortable riding bike. My current favorite, which is a good thing as it's the N1.
Old 07-02-20, 06:34 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
The De Rosa is my all-around favorite, although the Bottecchia is a close second, followed by the Raleigh Pro. The carbon Cannondale is preferred for what little climbing I do.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 07-21-20, 07:18 PM
Seanaus

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 52 Posts
Concorde Squadra SLX with dt shifted 7800 Dura Ace. In an ideal world I'd like a Squadra TSX as well, for comparison purposes
Old 07-23-20, 07:00 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
With me my favourite bicycle depends on where I'm riding and the weather conditions and/or whom I'm riding with if not on a solo ride.

I've been enjoying my latest acquisition a Fiori Napoli with a Shimano N600 groupset.

Cheers
Old 07-24-20, 06:59 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
I mostly commute. I have three bikes. I love two of them and have a "mature appreciation and affection" for the the other.

My 1984 Nishiki International 12-speed is light (light-ish by today's standards) nimble, responsive and comfortable with a flexible frame. It fits perfectly and is the perfect bike for longer weekend rides.

My 1997 Nishiki Blazer 21-speed mountain bike is a little heavy, but also, nimble, responsive, fast and comfortable. Three years ago I put big fat soft, supple slicks on it (WTB Slick 26x1.85) and the bike became lively and playful in a way it had never been, Then last fall I converted it to drop bars and it is even more fun to ride! I bought it new in 1997 and immediately put a larger chainring up front so I could cruise at higher speeds. Then I added longer cranks at some point in the past. In the winter it gets Suomi Nokian 26x1.65 W106 Studded snow tires, which dull the ride on pavement, but are a blast for riding on ice and in the snow. For years this was my only bike, and I have Wald folding baskets in the rear. It is my "go anywhere, do anything" bike and we have been through so many adventures both riding-wise and mechanical-wise.

My 2015 Charge Plug 2x8 (distance/adventure/semi-touring?) is my "mature" bike. It's a skinny tube steel frame bike, but without as much flex as the old 12-speed. The Plug has a slightly longer wheel-base and more relaxed geometry so it is not as "twitchy"as the other two bikes. It's also doesn't accelerate as quickly as the other two bikes, but will cruise comfortably at speed. It's got the composed convenience of "brifters" and the discreet mechanical actuation of disc brakes. I like to think of it as my Jaguar, their old, longtime slogan being "Grace, Pace & Space". It is composed, predicable and capable.

No, I've changed my mind...

I love them all.
Old 07-24-20, 08:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Oh this is a road bike fan club, I hardly use mine, its more C&V

Daily use, Folding bikes ...

Bike Friday & Brompton ... low bar, easier to get on & off..
Old 07-24-20, 11:10 AM
woofy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Nah... they are all favorites when I am on them. I love my AL as much as my carbon CX as much as my endurance. Least comfortable and not the fastest is my pure-play race bike. But I love that bike equally, especially when I am riding it. Always looking for a gift or two that I can give it that might make the difference in speed and/or comfort. If I develop a favorite, I am not going to expand the collection but make it smaller. Can't do that. Better to ask what my next purchase will be... heh.

If I had to have one bike and one only, I would regret it. It would be my CX of course. I do love that bike. But I'd ask for two wheel sets one for road and one for not. I'd also consider going bigger on the chain rings as my gravel is lighter these days.

woof!
Old 07-24-20, 12:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I still have the bike with the frame I built myself, in 1974.. in the British light touring style..
Old 07-24-20, 01:38 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Yes.