Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

fatbike - the trip around the world

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 12-05-20, 01:52 AM
msyrek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone used a fatbike on a long trip?
How much can you cycle on asphalt a day?
I was able to ride a maximum of 120 miles on an ordinary city bike with panniers.
Old 12-05-20, 01:03 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
You should be able to do the same distance on a fat bike as on an ordinary mountain bike.
Old 12-05-20, 02:33 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
If asphalt, I'd chose a different bike. this bis a fatbike tour.

You will know the different the moment you ride one compared to a skinny bike. i suggest to ride a fatbike before going on a long asphalt tour.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 12-07-20, 07:41 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I like to avoid paved fat biking. If I were to plan a fat biking trip around the world it would be fun to plan this route as it would open many interesting options. Assuming time is not in short supply...
Old 12-09-20, 07:23 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by msyrek
I was able to ride a maximum of 120 miles on an ordinary city bike with panniers.
Tires are the key difference on a fat bike. I have some 3.5" Vee Speedsters that I've used on my Pugsley. Relative to typical knobby tires, they're quiet, smooth, and have no rolling resistance. It's like riding a normal bike, only with wider tires (and the weird things that come along with that, like self steer, etc.). If your only bike is a fat bike, and you want to ride long days, swap on some Vee Speedsters and go pedalling. It won't be as efficient as a bike with 35-40mm tires, but it would work.

Most people who tour on fat bikes are bikepacking on rough roads, trails, and overlanding routes...routes that a bike with 35-40mm tires would have a challenge traversing. In fact, many routes wouldn't be passable without a lot of hike-a-bike. So from that perspective, a fat bike might be your only choice for your long trip...depending on your route.
Old 02-01-21, 06:10 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
I was going to ask this ?: Can you ride a 'fatbike' on the road? By 'fatbike', I mean w/2" tires.
Old 02-02-21, 07:16 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
I was going to ask this ?: Can you ride a 'fatbike' on the road? By 'fatbike', I mean w/2" tires.
I think the conventional definition of a "fat bike" is something with tires at least 3.5" or 4". Most current fat bikes have tires in the 4.8" to 5" range. A 2" tire would be considered a fairly standard mountain bike tire...and the "plus" sizes seem to be in the 2.6" to 3.2" range or thereabouts. So a 27.5+ size would be a 27.5" x 2.8" for example (or 70-584 to use the more precise ISO nomenclature).

If you have a bike with 2" wide tires, you can certainly ride it on the road. You can ride a fat bike on the road as well, with 4" tires. Depending on the tire design and construction, it may be a pretty inefficient haul, but it's certainly doable.
Old 02-02-21, 08:01 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
a 2" tire is not far off from "normal" at this point. I would absolutely do a tour, a really long ride, or all pavement ride on a 2" tire.
Old 02-02-21, 09:20 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by msyrek
I've completed six century (or longer) with my drop-bar Pugsley. My longest was 140-mile day ... August 2021, I plan to complete The DAMn with this rig (that's 240 miles in 24 hours).

All of my long mile rides with this bike are focused on gravel roads, the routes include paved sections, but mostly gravel roads, minimal maintenance roads, ATV trails, and less than paved surfaces. If I'm going for long miles on paved surfaces, I'm brining a different bike.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 02-05-21 at 07:50 AM.