Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

KMC Chain Failure

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

KMC Chain Failure

Old 02-21-21, 04:43 PM
MattUK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
KMC Chain Failure

Hi all,

My chain failed yesterday on a bike I bought just 3 months and 200 miles ago!

I cleaned it up and found that aside of the busted link, there were SIX other links with easily visible fractures. It is a budget Decathlon mountain bike (ST530), 9 speed with a single chain wheel. I've looked into the Z9 KMC chain and it gets on the whole good reviews so I guess they aren't failing every 200 miles for everyone!

I've emailed pics to Decathlon and KMC but just wondered what your thoughts are. I don't want to just stick a new chain on it - certainly not a KMC - without understanding what could have caused it.

Thanks in advance. Matt.
Old 02-21-21, 04:49 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
Sounds like a warranty claim before you go and buy a replacement. Cracked links seem to come up every once in awhile with different mfrs. I can't answer why but KMC are as reliable as anything out there but sometimes they let a stinker get through QC.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 02-21-21, 05:08 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
There is nothing systematically wrong with KMC chains. I've had good service from them and they also make some of Shimano's chains. Apparently you got a, presumably rare, defective one.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 02-21-21, 05:14 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
If I was Decathlon I would be sending you an apology, a new chain cut to the proper length and the quicklink most rikki tic. Every KMC I've used has been great.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 02-21-21, 07:06 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by MattUK
Hi all,

My chain failed yesterday on a bike I bought just 3 months and 200 miles ago!

I cleaned it up and found that aside of the busted link, there were SIX other links with easily visible fractures. It is a budget Decathlon mountain bike (ST530), 9 speed with a single chain wheel. I've looked into the Z9 KMC chain and it gets on the whole good reviews so I guess they aren't failing every 200 miles for everyone!

I've emailed pics to Decathlon and KMC but just wondered what your thoughts are. I don't want to just stick a new chain on it - certainly not a KMC - without understanding what could have caused it.

Thanks in advance. Matt.
Here is a thought. The bike has a cheap Miranda narrow/wide chainring, and you didn't put the chain on correctly, and it got chewed up.
Old 02-21-21, 07:14 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I cannot think of anything on the bike which would have caused cracked chain links. I would not hesitate to put a new chain on and ride it.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 02-21-21, 07:22 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,434 Times in 2,812 Posts
Back around 2005 Wippermann had a bad batch of stainless chains that developed cracks in the sideplates around the rivets. I learned about it because a friend of mine had one, and the bike shop replaced it under warranty.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/wipperm...e-junk.373092/

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=557143

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 02-21-21 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-21-21, 08:56 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Yep, you aren't going to "get to the bottom" of this, stuff happens. Put on another chain and keep an eye on it.
Old 02-22-21, 07:27 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Here is a thought. The bike has a cheap Miranda narrow/wide chainring, and you didn't put the chain on correctly, and it got chewed up.
Yes, a definite possibility; however I'd think it would be obvious that the chain was not meshing with the chain ring. Perhaps the assembler forced the chain on spreading the links and the chain went downhill quickly with use. But then, why were only a few links damaged?
Old 02-22-21, 07:33 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Yes, a definite possibility; however I'd think it would be obvious that the chain was not meshing with the chain ring. Perhaps the assembler forced the chain on spreading the links and the chain went downhill quickly with use. But then, why were only a few links damaged?
How badly would you have to get it wrong to do that kind of damage? The off road hammering I have given my chains when short of lube and adjustment in my time, and never have they broken that quick.
Old 02-22-21, 07:42 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Geepig
How badly would you have to get it wrong to do that kind of damage? The off road hammering I have given my chains when short of lube and adjustment in my time, and never have they broken that quick.
The wide pin on a narrow-wide ring could easily spread the narrow chain link,
Old 02-22-21, 08:37 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
I've only seen anything like that one time. My wife's bike that her sister was riding (so plenty of blame and shame for me!). Bike was bought used and sat in the garage for several years. When the chain broke, there were many other side plates which were cracked and ready to fail. New chain (whatever was in the nearest bike shop) fixed the problem.
Old 02-22-21, 10:23 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Did you clean the chain in aggressive degreaser. Some may cause embrittlement and several chain manufacturers warn against certain degreaser.
Old 02-22-21, 07:32 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
A 9-speed chain is about the widest chain one would be running with most 1x setups . Most narrow-wide chainrings are stated to work with 9/10/11/12 speed systems, so I'd think a 9-speed chain would be the safest chain, at least in terms of the risk of a wide tooth spreading chain links, right?
Old 02-23-21, 02:40 AM
MattUK

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your replies. To address a couple of them, I used a popular bike specific lube on the chain manufactured by WD40 - no deep cleans or anything out of the ordinary. The chain felt like it was meshing fine.. as I type this I'm wondering could there be a mis-match between the chain wheel and the chain? If the chain wheel is steel and the chain links are softer stainless, and the teeth of the chain wheel are fractionally too far apart for the chain...?

t's just a thought. I really don't know but I'd rather not just accept it as a freak occurence. If I just stick a new KMC Z9 chain on there I'm basically saying that I put the failure down to a rouge chain - but why so many links over so few miles?

No answer back from vendor or KMC as yet but I'll post on here if I hear anything. Thanks again for your input.
Old 02-23-21, 05:42 AM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Thanks for all your replies. To address a couple of them, I used a popular bike specific lube on the chain manufactured by WD40 - no deep cleans or anything out of the ordinary. The chain felt like it was meshing fine.. as I type this I'm wondering could there be a mis-match between the chain wheel and the chain? If the chain wheel is steel and the chain links are softer stainless, and the teeth of the chain wheel are fractionally too far apart for the chain...?

t's just a thought. I really don't know but I'd rather not just accept it as a freak occurence. If I just stick a new KMC Z9 chain on there I'm basically saying that I put the failure down to a rouge chain - but why so many links over so few miles?

No answer back from vendor or KMC as yet but I'll post on here if I hear anything. Thanks again for your input.

KMC will point you in the direction of a UK Distributor (Raleigh, Bob Elliot, MooreLarge or Chicken Cyclekit are some) and they will handle the warranty
Old 02-23-21, 07:26 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
I'm wondering could there be a mis-match between the chain wheel and the chain? If the chain wheel is steel and the chain links are softer stainless....
Pretty sure the chain is not stainless.
Old 02-23-21, 08:36 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
I understand and sympathize with wanting to know what went wrong. The reason most companies and individuals just replace the chain instead of performing a detailed failure investigation is cost. Unless you or a close friend are a metallurgist with access to a failure analysis lab you can use after work hours, that failure analysis is going to cost big bucks -- five or six figures.

On the other hand, you can buy a super-duper great replacement chain for double digits.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 02-23-21, 09:36 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
KMC makes all the Shimano chains, except Dura Ace. They don't want some other company to have their name on the best chain they make.

What happened to you is very, very, rare. Just replace the chain and go ride. Chains are cheap.
Old 02-23-21, 11:39 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 956 Posts
the teeth of the chain wheel are fractionally too far apart for the chain
Any pictures of this? post the picture online and then post the link here.