Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

mechanics please help! fixed gear lockring

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-10, 12:22 AM
sagbuya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i have a stuck lockingring but it is a different kind of stuck. i searched the forum and all the stuck lockrings people had, they couldnt get it to unscrew.

well heres my situation. i was tightening my lockring, and i guess i was tightening it too much because just like over-tightening a milk gallon, the lockring became loose again. i looked at it and i guess i stripped the hell out of it.

so i paid my dues and started to try taking the lockring off. after 5 minutes of mindless unscrewing, i realize that the lockring is just going in circles.

i tried prying it off but the space between the cog and lockring is too little.

can someone please help!!!
Old 03-24-10, 12:38 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 515 Posts
Is that on a cassette? If so, you've prolly trashed the cassette body. Take out the spindle and remove it with a 10mm allen key. Good luck salvaging the cassette if you want it... prolly require a combo of angle grinder and much dremelling.

EDIT: just noticed it's on a fixed gear. Disregard; I have NFI what goes on with those
Old 03-24-10, 01:02 AM
sooprvylyn
I suck, but you're worse

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Uno-Got rid of the rest when I moved to LA:(

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He said it was fixed gear.

Dude if you stripped a track hubs reverse threads you trashed the hub, there is no fixing it. Likely the lockring is also trashed. Unless you got a nice track cog on there I'd just scrap the wheel if you want to ride fixed, unless you know how to build them.
Old 03-24-10, 01:25 AM
Ingleside
MARGINALS

Bikes: 09 Tarmac Pro SL / Sunday BMX /

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like the hub is trashed. If you're trying to salvage the lockring cog you're going to have to try to get something in between the lockring and cog. I don't know what you've already tried but start with the smallest "wedge" you can find and work your way up. What might work is trying to pry the lock ring AND rotate it as if you were loosening it.
Old 03-24-10, 02:10 AM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
As others have said, the aluminum threads of the hub are stripped. It's unlikely the steel lockring's threads also stripped (the hub's would have given first).
Old 03-24-10, 02:21 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 98 Posts
The hub is a goner for fixed gear use... the steel lockring will have destroyed those threads.

As it was suggested, gently pry the lockring from the cog while turing it to see if you can catch a thread and get it to release.

You may be able to use the hub as an SS if the inside threads are okay.
Old 03-24-10, 06:14 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Or you could just run it as an expensive suicide hub. As long as you are running brakes and do not bet your life on your ability to skid stop, why not?

j
Old 03-24-10, 07:51 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5963 Post(s)
Liked 2,870 Times in 1,599 Posts
Since the lockring and/or the hub is presumably dead, use a chain whip to loosen the sprocket then hand turn it by degrees to gently push the lockring outwards while you turn it to the right. (reverse thread).

Do it carefully, becuse while the odds are that the hub is toast, there's still the faint hope that you only stripped the innermost threads, and might be able to salvage it with a different lockring, or a spacer between the lockring and sprocket. In any case, you'll at least have the lockring off and can salvage the sprocket as a consolation prize.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-24-10, 11:32 AM
sooprvylyn
I suck, but you're worse

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Uno-Got rid of the rest when I moved to LA:(

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I agree that that the lockrings threads are still probably not stripped, the chances are that they are at least gouged, or will be upon removal, and could damage the next hub you try to use it on as well. You may reuse the cog, but I'd scrap the lockring unless you have money to keep purchasing new hubs. A new lockring should cost like 10-15 bucks, a new hub will cost 35+ and then you need to build a wheel. Its a lot easier to drop 10 bucks on a new lockring than having to spring for a 2nd hub if you damage the first replacement and then have to rebuild a wheel again.