Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Time to tension the Brooks saddle?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-11, 01:20 PM
ricebowl
Bourbon junkie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seems like my team pro's developed a bit of sag. Wanted opinions since the team pro has a reputation for being the hardest of the brooks line, I can't remember what it looked like out of the box, and this one only has about 1600 miles on it. Put a white board across the top of the saddle and took a photo. What do you guys think?

Last edited by ricebowl; 09-05-11 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-05-11, 01:37 PM
episodic

Bikes: Had a Surly Cross Check - was totaled in recent accident. Sadly now just a Fuji Crosstown as a backup bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm doing half the time.

With that being said, I tightened my flyer when the leather had my rear contacting the support rails underneath. I tightened enough so that when I sat on it, that did not happen. I had to tighten more than the 1/4 of a turn you hear about. Worked for me.
Old 09-05-11, 04:09 PM
lverhagen

Bikes: Swobo Folsom, Diamond Back Master TG, Mongoose Alta, Huffy Daisy Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That does not appear to be an unduly amount of sag, however, if you are experiencing creaking or excessive sway, I would tighten it up just a tad - the famed quarter turn should be plenty. My B17 has a similar amount of unweighted sag and it is just as comfortable as can be. Good luck!

Cheers
lverhagen
Old 09-05-11, 04:10 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Are the skirts splayed out? Is it uncomfortable? Did it get soaked by rain?

If not, if it were my saddle, I'd just leave it alone. I have an almost 30 year old Team Pro with uncounted miles on it and have never had to touch the tension bolt.
Old 09-05-11, 05:08 PM
trevor_ash
Happy go lucky

Bikes: 2010 Nagasawa (Track), EAI Bareknuckle (Track), Custom Jonny Cycles (Track), 90's Eddy Merckx (Road), 2002 Colnago Tecnos, 200? Felt F60 (Road), 1992 Schwinn Paramount Series 3 (Road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're not generally flat, I know some older ones sometimes are. But the amount of sag you have seems normal to me. I have a swift, and I only tightened it once after about 10,000 miles when I randomly happened to notice it was feeling bouncy.
Old 09-05-11, 09:33 PM
furballi

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
1/4" drop at the lowest point is normal. I used to ride a B17 with 4mm thick leather. This saddle sagged badly (1/3"-1/2") after only 800 miles.

Switched to an Imperial Narrow with 5mm thick leather. The skirts were laced tight. +3600 miles with only 1/4" gap at the lowest point. Lacing the skirts should drastically reduce sagging.

What is the nominal thickness of that Brooks Pro?
Old 09-06-11, 12:01 AM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Is it comfortable? If so, leave it alone.
Old 09-06-11, 08:40 AM
cbchess
Map maker

Bikes: Ventana El Ciclon, Walt Works 29er, Specialized Enduro (fixed up for my son).

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can lace it too. Sheldon tells you how:

Tension Adjustment

Most leather saddles have a tension-adjusting nut located under the nose of the saddle. Fortunately, this nut usually requires a special wrench, so most people leave it alone. In almost every case that I know of where someone has tried to adjust the tension with this nut, the saddle has been ruined. My advice is to leave it alone.
If a leather saddle gradually becomes too soft and too wide after many thousands of miles, it is sometimes useful to punch a few holes in the bottoms of the side flaps and lace them together under the saddle frame.
This allows the width and firmness of the saddle to be adjusted to the rider's taste. Some older models came with a row of holes along the lower edge of the side flaps, for this very purpose.
I realize that this sounds like a lot of trouble, but most cyclists who take the trouble find it well worth while--in the end.
Old 09-06-11, 09:41 AM
ricebowl
Bourbon junkie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Past few rides it's felt a little uncomfortable. In the past I have been surprised by a couple of unexpected rain showers but for the most part my butt was protecting the saddle. But that was months ago not recently.
Old 09-06-11, 01:04 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Call me lazy, but...

I'll usually let things go on my B-17s until I start wondering, "Is there a more comfortable saddle I should replace this old thing with?" Then I'll go dig out the spanner, and tighten until I feel resistance. It's usually closer to 1/2 a turn than 1/4 turn for me.