Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

IS getting a 2nd set of wheels easy? Or should I just be looking at a 2nd bike?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-11, 01:31 PM
episodic

Bikes: Had a Surly Cross Check - was totaled in recent accident. Sadly now just a Fuji Crosstown as a backup bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Salsa Casseroll that fits me like a glove. I love it. Lately, I've been trying to hang with an 'a' group on it - and I do a remarkable job considering they are on carbon stuff.

Near the end of a 40 miler, I'm dead.

The stock rims are cross rims, and I have 28mm tires already - which is the minimum.

So I was thinking I'd get a pair of lighter rims like the alex ones on my son's felt 95. It occurred to me that I could put 23mm on these and probably lower my rolling resistance alot. However, I'm confused. Will it require a huge pain to set up the derailleur with each tire swap? I'd like to keep using the cross rims for touring and weekend slow rides (where I carry junk). It is a 9 speed if the helps. Would swapping the same cassette make this easy?
Old 11-27-11, 01:37 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Constantly adjusting your brake setup, whether disc or cantilever, would be the proverbial fly in the ointment. If you like the group-ride scene, a dedicated road-racing bike is probably justified.
Old 11-27-11, 01:37 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Think Less....Ride more.

Old 11-27-11, 01:42 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
[QUOTE=episodic;13537393It occurred to me that I could put 23mm on these and probably lower my rolling resistance alot.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't bet the rent money. Actually, I wouldn't even bet the cost of a new wheelset.
Old 11-27-11, 01:59 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Having two wheel-sets works well, IF they are matching hubs & rims.

If the hubs don't match, you will need to adjust the rear derailleur every time you change wheels.

If the rims are more than 0.5 mm different in width, you will need to adjust the brakes.

I have two sets of Velocity A23 rims for my steel Cyclocross bike. With a 23mm wide rim, I can fit skinny road tires (Conti GP 24mm) or wider trekking tires (Schwalbe Marathon Cross 38mm).
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-27-11 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-27-11, 02:07 PM
episodic

Bikes: Had a Surly Cross Check - was totaled in recent accident. Sadly now just a Fuji Crosstown as a backup bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys are right, I'll look for a used road bike for the spring. I guess I could get a lighter saddle (instead of a sprung brooks) and take off my racks for a while.
Old 11-27-11, 02:08 PM
episodic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I wouldn't bet the rent money. Actually, I wouldn't even bet the cost of a new wheelset.
Even though I ride alot - I'm new to understanding alot of this stuff, could you elaborate?
Old 11-27-11, 02:13 PM
episodic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Think Less....Ride more.
This - works pretty well you know Been doing just that for 2 years now. The cold wet weather has slowed me down and made me think more -sigh
Old 11-27-11, 02:31 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
get light narrow tires and tubes. ditch the sprung brooks (if you weren't joking) and take off the racks for crying out loud.

i don't think there's anything that frame is doing to make you unusually tired compared to other frames. then again maybe you have something else attached to it you aren't telling us about. like maybe a generator or a battery operated light system or three full water bottles or a hydration pack or you're wearing jeans or a baby carrier or great big block pedals rather than clip-ons or reflectors in front and back and on both wheels. we really don't know...

BTW, i took the trouble to look up the salsa frame and it looks like a welded steel frame with an unusual amount of head tube protruding above the top tube, but otherwise nothing that warrants an new bike. OTOH it's always fun to buy a bike.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 11-27-11 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-27-11, 02:33 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by episodic
I guess I could get a lighter saddle (instead of a sprung brooks) and take off my racks for a while.
Doing that would be a lot cheaper and more effective than paying for a new set of wheels.
Old 11-27-11, 02:48 PM
gbg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by episodic
I have a Salsa Casseroll that fits me like a glove. I love it. Lately, I've been trying to hang with an 'a' group on it - and I do a remarkable job considering they are on carbon stuff.

Near the end of a 40 miler, I'm dead.

The stock rims are cross rims, and I have 28mm tires already - which is the minimum.

So I was thinking I'd get a pair of lighter rims like the alex ones on my son's felt 95. It occurred to me that I could put 23mm on these and probably lower my rolling resistance alot. However, I'm confused. Will it require a huge pain to set up the derailleur with each tire swap? I'd like to keep using the cross rims for touring and weekend slow rides (where I carry junk). It is a 9 speed if the helps. Would swapping the same cassette make this easy?
I don't think going from 28mm to 23mm is going to give you much improvement.
If you were going from a 35psi 2.2 inch knobbie to 120psi 23mm 700C tires you would see big difference.
Your Salsa Casseroll already has drop bars, so you have the main advantage in speed of a road bike
already, the aero advantage of riding in the drops.
If you do a ton of climbing light weight might help, but on rolling terrain there is not that much advantage there either.

If I ride my road bike on the hoods, there isn't that much difference than riding my MTB with 1.75 inch slicks, at about 17-18mph.
But if I get in the drops there is a 2-3mph difference, but it isn't as comfy.

Last edited by gbg; 11-27-11 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-27-11, 04:39 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
95% of the speed on the bike comes from the engine. Work on that and don't worry about the components.
When you are calculating the weight of the bike don't forget to add in the engine and other necessary stuff you carry on the bike.
Old 11-27-11, 07:49 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Worth noting, there's a pretty wide spread of tires in 700 x 28, ranging from lightweight performance training/raceable tires (e.g. Continental Gatorskin and Grand Prix 4-Season folding models) to very beefed-up city/urban tires at more than twice the weight. If your existing tires are heavy, start with some light ones, along with lightweight tubes.
Old 11-27-11, 07:59 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
ALL of the speed on the bike comes from the engine. Work on that and don't worry about the components.
When you are calculating the weight of the bike don't forget to add in the engine and other necessary stuff you carry on the bike.
Fixed.

As mechBgon says, make sure you have light performance oriented 28c tires. 'Flat resistant' tires can slow you down, but less than a flat tire would.

THe fastest 'wide' tire I have ever had was a Panaracer Pesela (no TourGuard flat protection) but that was a long time ago and I may be looking at the past with rose coloured glasses.