Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-18, 12:53 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
I heard a discussion on public radio that tourist destinations like Santa Monica are now forced to rethink the need for more targeted regulations due to an increasing number of accidents caused by negligent use of motorized scooters and also, ebikes that are capable of speeds up to 28 mph. They can be seen on crowded sidewalks and bike lanes and pedestrians who've been run down are getting together with the intention of filing class action lawsuits. Obviously there's a market to serve here, being those who want to get somewhere faster than by walking and with less effort than cycling. I realized though that ebikes probably shouldn't interest participants on this subforum as members don't come here because they're over 65 but because they're still enjoying riding bikes despite their age. For us, doesn't the idea of having an ebike seem a bit like adding a motor to training bike in the garage to make pedaling easier? That would make no sense....
Old 10-28-18, 07:42 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts

My Ochsner project

2006 Schwinn Super Sport DBX, aluminum

2014 Orbea Avant MD 40 that I bought new in 2016, Carbon fiber
My first time checking out this thread. I reached 66 in September. I bought my first road bike in 1971, Motobecane. Bicycling has been an important part of my life since childhood. I have really committed to stepping up my mileage the past two years. Last year, for the first time, I kept track of my mileage and reached my goal of 6,000 miles, did my first solo century and had a streak of riding a bike for 218 consecutive days. I am not keeping the mileage this year but I estimate I am in the low 3,000s. I am a mechanically challenged person but I have been trying to do most of my maintenance on my own for the first time. I have made some mistakes and had some frustrations but it has been a really good thing to challenge myself with. My confidence is building, slowly. I have been hybridizing a 1991 Ochsner road bike, steel frame, that I purchased new in 1992. It has been going along pretty well but still has a couple of issues. Following are pictures of a couple of my bikes.
Old 10-30-18, 08:12 AM
Drinian

Bikes: 1964 Sherwood Flyer, 2017 Raleigh Superbe iE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm old to bike riding, but new to eBikes. Mine is a class 1 which means it can't exceed 20 mph. States are introducing regulations for pedal assist that make sense to me. They are to be street ridden when in assist mode and only on sidewalks if the assist is disengaged. The main positive that I see is that it extends riding range (and therefore movement) with less stress on joints and cardio.
Old 11-11-18, 01:48 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Hey gang, can ya make room at the table for another oldster? Celebrating my 65th today. Too bad Denver isn't around to participate it this space, but I am connected with him elsewhere on the interwebs. He's still doing well.
Old 11-11-18, 04:21 PM
jtaylor2

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Hey gang, can ya make room at the table for another oldster? Celebrating my 65th today. Too bad Denver isn't around to participate it this space, but I am connected with him elsewhere on the interwebs. He's still doing well.
Welcome, always room for another. But be warned the birthdays will seem to come around faster now (my next will be 72 and it seems like 65 was just yesterday). Glad to hear Denver is still doing well. I still check bike forums but don't participate much. It's just not fun like it used to be when he and the others were still around.

Jim
Old 11-11-18, 07:41 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
The name of the forum is specific enough but I sometimes wonder if it would be even more accurate if known as, "Anyone Riding Bikes >50 Years." I'm guessing that applies to anyone here.
Old 11-12-18, 01:20 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
I'm 69 and hate it when we keep adding these young guys!
Old 11-12-18, 03:59 PM
Mainiac

Bikes: Fuji Allegro, Miele Mountain Bike, Trek Domane AL 2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE]I'm 69 and hate it when we keep adding these young guys!

65, a youngster. I'm looking at 72, but 65 seems like last week. Time really flies as you get older.
Old 11-12-18, 06:03 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Time seems to pass quicker the older you get. Scientists say there is a reason for it but I can't explain all I've read. Part of it has something to do with the lack of new events and experiences as we get older. Remember how long it took to get to Christmas when you were a kid? These days those kind of things happen even quicker than we want them to. Make the best of what you have left.
Old 11-12-18, 07:50 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I like life over 65

Sure there are adjustments to be made that come with age but it sure beats the alternative. I love riding my bike at least as much now as I did in my younger years. I believe that bicycling has been a large factor in my relatively good health. The adjustment that seems the hardest to make for me is my increasing reaction time/ lowered physical co-ordination. I spill, drop, knock over, run into and misplace things much more than I used to. I think that it comes with a lowered level of focus and concentration. I am trying to learn and perform more of the mechanical/maintenance aspects of being a bicyclist. Mechanical/ fix-up type things are something that have always been a challenge for me. I think it is a good way to challenge myself and to continue the learning process. I make a lot of mistakes and I get really frustrated at times. However, I feel really good when I finish a task and it is a successfully completed. I have been helped a lot by posting questions on Bike Forums and getting feed back from others. I even figured out, on my own, the problem I was having with the cassette/rear derailleur not functioning properly. It was simply a matter of the rear rack I had mounted interfering with the cable and the derailleur/cassette not lining up properly. I already have a seat post mounted rear rack that I will use instead. It is the bike I use for commuting, going to the library, store, etc. I have purchased a pretty good selection of tools and have organized a spare room as my bike working area. I am 66 now and if I make it into the 80s I hope to still be pedaling.
Old 11-12-18, 08:22 PM
McBTC

Something that seems to work for many-- you want something... write it down. So, want time to slow down to make life last longer? Write it down. Set up a schedule. Current thoughts on activity are that you need 30" or more a day of exercise. How about striking out into the wild on your bike on some of those exercise days? My schedule is every 3rd day-- that's two recovery days. Your schedule may be different but if this were your schedule, you can put it on a calendar. You'll always know what day it is and you'll always be looking forward to an activity you like in the near future and it puts others on notice to take notice as to what to expect, 'cause... you got plans.
Old 11-13-18, 01:21 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
An Honorary Member?
Meet Bob, who is 90 years old, working on 91. I met Bob around two years ago at McDonalds. Don't worry, he rarely eats there, but hangs out with a small group of friends that come and go throughout the day. Bob gave up his drivers license a couple years back, and relies solely on his bicycle to get around these days, unless a friend offers to take him somewhere.
He rides approximately six miles a day, from his home to McDonalds and back. That's a one mile trip each way, and usually three times a day. His first ride starts at about 5:30 AM.
Bob is completely computer illiterate, and doesn't even own a cell phone, let alone a smart phone, so I'm submitting his application here for him. I will probably show him the thread later via smartphone.
Bob's bicycle? A 21 speed Marin that he found in a thrift store for $20. Yes, he knows a quality bike when he see's it.
Photo taken with my cell phone.
Old 11-17-18, 07:47 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Kudos to Bob and welcome. I'm just a 73 y/o kid — with 74 coming up in a few more weeks.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-17-18, 09:11 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballenxj
An Honorary Member?
Meet Bob, who is 90 years old, working on 91. I met Bob around two years ago at McDonalds. Don't worry, he rarely eats there, but hangs out with a small group of friends that come and go throughout the day. Bob gave up his drivers license a couple years back, and relies solely on his bicycle to get around these days, unless a friend offers to take him somewhere.
He rides approximately six miles a day, from his home to McDonalds and back. That's a one mile trip each way, and usually three times a day. His first ride starts at about 5:30 AM.
Bob is completely computer illiterate, and doesn't even own a cell phone, let alone a smart phone, so I'm submitting his application here for him. I will probably show him the thread later via smartphone.
Bob's bicycle? A 21 speed Marin that he found in a thrift store for $20. Yes, he knows a quality bike when he see's it.
Photo taken with my cell phone.
I had a set of blue anodized bar ends in a previous lifetime!
Old 11-18-18, 11:12 PM
Zurichman2

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenhil

The Cabot Ride the Ridges was fun and challenging. It’s a pretty relaxed event with not a lot of hoo ha. I’d guess there were about 75 folks in the 60K ride I was in. It was about 40 degrees at the start so I wore a pair of old stitched up Kuhl hiking pants. Definitely not stylin’. Beautiful day, though, and some great views from the ridges. When I’m riding on my own I stop to check things out, take photos, eat something, think deep thoughts, etc. but even in a non-competitive ride like this you get into the mindset that you’ll be damned if you’re gonna let more people pass you than is absolutely necessary. So other than stopping for a water refill I just kept going. Finished in 3:15 and according to the phone app I used, 4100 ft. of climbing.
I did that ride also this year. I did the pre ride 2 days before and kind of knew that I was in over my head with some of the climbing. I starting about 1/2 hr. early since it wasn't a competitive ride. The leaders caught me around 10 miles in. I did the 100k but somehow managed to miss a 3-4 mile loop at the end. It was the nicest/hardest ride I did on the East Coast so far and from what I saw it was 85% gravel. I am 67 and will be 68 end of April. Two years ago this Jan I got hit by a drunk on a night roadie ride and turned to gravel bike riding/racing. The ride that outshines them all by far so far was the Pony Express 120(I did the 75 miler) in Marysville Kansas. Very grass roots ride with low entrance fees. There is a write up over at Gravel cyclist under the racing tab upper left probably 4-5 pages back now listed as My 75 miler Pony Express.
Old 11-18-18, 11:28 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
My goal now is to ride gravel bike rides/races in all 50 states and it has to be at least 50 miles.

2017 I rode
Pony Express 75 miler
Crush and Run II Litiz PA
Maple Century Honesdale Pa. I live in Pa. and this ride has lots of hills

2018 I rode in 8 different States 8 months in a row.
March Dirty Pecan Monticello Fl. I dropped back to the 60 miler got lost 2 miles from the finish line and ended up riding 80 mile
April Bootlegger 60 miler @ Lenoir NC. This ride was a close 2nd to the best ride on the East Coast Lots of scary white knuckled downhills was the oldest finished of the 60 mierl
May Farmer's Daughter @ Chatham NY Bonked on this ride from being under trained and riding with some riders fast and stronger than me. Bail out ride back tot he finish and 40 miles
June Funks Bottom Little Prairie Oh free ride kind of bare bones though and no food at the finish line
July GRUSK Gravel Ride up Spruce Knob. 1st rest stop was at 30 miles and kind of bonking till I arrived there quit @ 60 miles and so didn't finish the 80 miler. Still a very n ice ride and in the boonies for sure, If you go do the $25 a night dorm and buy the food option as there is nowhere close to buy get food.
August Rose Mt. Rumble Lyneborough NH Didn't like this ride at all as it was way too much macadam. The only way I would do this ride again is if I was a local.
Sept. Cabot Ride the Ridges A fun ride for sure
Oct. Gray Gray's Gretna Grinder(5k) Mt. Gretna PA. This was a very cold ride but boy did they have a big turn out for the conditions. Free ride I bought some socks and buy your own food at the finish line.
Old 11-18-18, 11:36 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Pony Express pre ride need I say more
Old 11-18-18, 11:39 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Pony Express KOM pre ride 15% @ 200 ft. East Coast riders laugh at this lol
Old 11-18-18, 11:41 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Pony Express 75 miler finish line pic
Old 11-18-18, 11:47 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

One of my local mt/fire tower roads 10 miles of macadam to get there but one tough 2 mile climb
Old 11-18-18, 11:51 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Bootlegger 60 miler and a cold start @ 44 deg. F Wish I would have worn my full finger gloves
Old 11-18-18, 11:54 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

This is why we do gravel biking. Bootlegger photo op much needed break after a climb. lol
Old 11-18-18, 11:56 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

This store just closed down the week before on the Bootlegger lol I stopped going 25 mph on a downhill and rode back up for the pic. A photo group was there with their bi pods taking pics.
Old 11-18-18, 11:59 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Betsy's General store rest/food stop on the Bootlegger. So far in the boonies it won't come up on your navigation system.
Old 11-19-18, 12:01 AM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Nasty downhill section on the Pony Express that I didn't hear at the riders meeting. Not my pic as I locked up both brakes newbie style and slid off of it. White knuckle 4 me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.