Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Switching handlebars: Solutions for quick cable interchange

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-19, 01:20 PM
snazpizaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

This might be a long shot and i'm appealing to the imagination or know-how more than anything.

I'm creating about 3 different handlebars i want to be able to switch between on my bike.
Each already has it's break/gear/grip/bell mounted which are mounted in different locations on what are different length handlebars. That said the differences distance wise is relatively close in terms of toleration of a single cable length.

Is there any way i can keep the brake and gear cables which are permanently mounted on the bike frame in place and switch between my handlebars without having to unwire the cables from the actual brake/gear levers ?

Does some kind of adpator/connector/quick attachment fixture exist which would simply allow me to connect a set of short installed cable lengths coming off my handlebar directly with the cables which are secured to the bike frame ?
If not does anyone have the know-how to propose a hack or mod to achieve this ?

i hope that's clear ! Basically i want to just join the ends of cable together in a snap/close/ release mechanism rather than delve into the guts of handlebar levers each time i switch the handlebars.

thanks for your feedback folks - appreciated
sp
Old 12-15-19, 01:53 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Can't you just slide the brake and shifter levers off the bars without disconnecting the cables?

Then let the cable and levers dangle while you swap bars?
Old 12-15-19, 02:10 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
What sort of handlebars/brake levers/shifters are you asking about? It could be an expensive proposition to purchase 3 sets of brake levers and shifters for 3 different handlebars
Old 12-15-19, 02:30 PM
snazpizaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi
https://www.ergotec.de/en/products/l...ugel-25-4.html
and H & P type:
https://www.bikefolded.com/brompton-...r-differences/

The sizes are quite close but the shapes vary. On the Toulouse i want the swept back grips to house the gear and brake lever.

One of the issues is that the twist gear handle i want to install on the Toulouse has a different end to the Brompton gear lever housing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Sturmey-Arc...d=263889502484
and
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/compo...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
So switching the gear wire between these two isn't an option.

It's this fundamental different which is driving me towards this idea.

My main concern is, in principle can it be achieved and if so how ?

sp
Old 12-15-19, 03:47 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Jtek Cable Splitter

Components - da Vinci Designs See easy split handlebar kit
See S & S couplers, DaVinci tandems, Rinko bikes
Old 12-15-19, 04:36 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
+1 on the cable splitters. I had both shift and brake cable splitters on an S&S coupled Co-Motion travel bike and they worked well. Years ago Bruce Gordon made a bike called the "Rock and Road" that came with two sets of handlebars, drop bars for the road and flat bars for off-road, and used these splitters to make changes fast and easy. BTW, this is not an inexpensive approach.
Old 12-16-19, 06:53 AM
snazpizaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks - cable splitters seem the way forward
wasn't sure what 'not inexpensive' refers to ?
Old 12-16-19, 08:01 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by snazpizaz
It means equipping two or more sets of bars with shifters, brake levers and cables costs a fair bit. The splitters themselves aren't too costly but you need several of them for multiple bars.
Old 12-16-19, 08:01 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by snazpizaz
To work best, you would need to buy three sets - one for each pair of handlebars. Otherwise, you would need to release the grub screws each time you changed bars to move the “male” Side of the connector to the new set of bars. This would be hard on the cables and you will have problems with fraying.
Old 12-16-19, 09:21 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I was wondering about cable fraying too. Once the 'grub screw' is tightened does that fray the end of the cable so much that it's impossible to re-insert? Therefore requiring the frayed end to have to be cut, and eventually rendering the cable too short to use?

Dan
Old 12-16-19, 10:43 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I was wondering about cable fraying too. Once the 'grub screw' is tightened does that fray the end of the cable so much that it's impossible to re-insert? Therefore requiring the frayed end to have to be cut, and eventually rendering the cable too short to use?Dan
The DaVinci "handlebar" kit includes an extra pair of the handlebar side connector and for his third set it can also be purchased separately, so there would be no need to be removing the ends once installed on the cable.
Old 12-16-19, 11:13 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
IIRC, @79pmooney does this with one of his bikes, or used to.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-16-19, 11:15 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I was wondering about cable fraying too. Once the 'grub screw' is tightened does that fray the end of the cable so much that it's impossible to re-insert? Therefore requiring the frayed end to have to be cut, and eventually rendering the cable too short to use?
Cable splitters are typically installed on a cable once and left in place for the duration of the cable's service life. They are not removed and replaced multiple times.
Old 12-17-19, 07:23 AM
snazpizaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks folks - v useful

1. I agree - one piece for every cable
2. I wont be changing handlebars too regularly - so i don't fore see any issues around over use
3. Someone mentioned to me i could use something called 'outer joiners' as a budget alternative option ? I havent been able to clarify what this option is on google. Can anyone advise ?

cheers sp
Old 12-19-19, 10:43 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Cable splitters are typically installed on a cable once and left in place for the duration of the cable's service life. They are not removed and replaced multiple times.
Huh? S&S Machine (the manufacturer of the frame couplers) sells them for bikes that are split apart for travel: Cable splitters for S&S Coupled travel bikes
They allow an otherwise full-size bike to be broken down to fit in a smaller case.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 12-20-19, 08:25 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Never heard of cable splitters until this thread. Love learning something new and potentially useful.
Old 12-20-19, 08:07 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Huh? S&S Machine (the manufacturer of the frame couplers) sells them for bikes that are split apart for travel: Cable splitters for S&S Coupled travel bikes
They allow an otherwise full-size bike to be broken down to fit in a smaller case.
I know exactly what cable splitters are and I had them on my own S&S coupled bike. What I meant by "not removed" is that the halves of the splitters are permanently installed on the cut cable ends and left in place. The splitters are then taken apart by unscrewing the halves to "split" the cable for bike disassembly or handlebar change and later the cable is reassembled by screwing the splitter's halves back together.
Old 12-21-19, 12:33 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I know exactly what cable splitters are and I had them on my own S&S coupled bike. What I meant by "not removed" is that the halves of the splitters are permanently installed on the cut cable ends and left in place. The splitters are then taken apart by unscrewing the halves to "split" the cable for bike disassembly or handlebar change and later the cable is reassembled by screwing the splitter's halves back together.
Ah so... I forget to read the post you were replying to. (Poor grammar, I know.) My apologies.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..