Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What bottom bracket?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What bottom bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-19, 06:52 PM
Dawes_rider

Bikes: Dawes SST AL - SE PK Ripper (Fixed) Scattante Frame I'm building up currently

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What bottom bracket?

Hi I'm new to this forum and I was hoping to find some answers here. I've been scouring the web and can not find any technical specs for the scattante ssr frame. I bought the frame several years ago and its been hanging in my dad's garage. Now the spec I'm looking for in particular is the bottom bracket, of course any other information would be useful. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-19, 07:32 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
This?
https://www.performancebike.com/scat...-blk-p/p939795

I can't believe it'd be anything but a 68mm BSA threaded BB.

https://www.google.com/search?q=scat...w=1366&bih=609
Old 12-21-19, 08:23 PM
Dawes_rider

Bikes: Dawes SST AL - SE PK Ripper (Fixed) Scattante Frame I'm building up currently

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your quick response! I'm currently researching how to identify bottom bracks for frames as I still can't find a definitive answer. If you have any tips/ suggestions to help me with this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Old 12-21-19, 08:53 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
well, you could measure the inner diameter of the threads of the shell to see if they're similar to BSA, and the outer width of the shell to see if it's 68mm or 73mm, and then go and get a BB with BSA threads, and carefully try to thread it on to see if it fits.
Old 12-21-19, 09:01 PM
Dawes_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I've been able to determine it is one of the threaded variety so that narrows it down. Seems I'll have to take some measurements and I'm assuming there is some sort of thread pitch gauge I can purchase to determine if its English threads or Italian threads. Feel free to give me tips here I'm brand new to this whole bottom bracket world and it is far more daunting than I anticipated.
Old 12-21-19, 09:08 PM
Dawes_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So correct me if I'm wrong but it seems 68mm measurement would indicate english threads while 70mm measurment would indicate italian threads?
Old 12-21-19, 09:21 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I've never seen italian, but according to sheldenbrown, italian is 70mm width.
BSA english can be either 68mm for road or 73mm for mtb.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribshe...mbrackets.html

Also, italian is right hand thread on both sides, while BSA is left hand on drive side and right hand for non-drive side.
Old 12-21-19, 10:01 PM
Dawes_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
I've never seen italian, but according to sheldenbrown, italian is 70mm width.

BSA english can be either 68mm for road or 73mm for mtb.

Also, italian is right hand thread on both sides, while BSA is left hand on drive side and right hand for non-drive side.

Awesome! Thanks for the great info, very helpful. It also looks like I'll need some special tooling for the install sorry for go so many directions on this single post but a link for the correct crankset with proper bottom bracket would be helpfull along with the nescesary tooling for the job.

Thanks again,
Old 12-21-19, 11:05 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Choose your crankset first. There is no "correct" crankset. It depends on what you're trying to accomplish with the build. The crankset determines what bottom bracket style/length/tool you need.

I'd bet 99.9% it's 68mm english threaded not italian. Scattante is/was a Performance house brand, undoubtedly asian manufactured, who use almost exclusively english threaded BB shell.

Last edited by dedhed; 12-21-19 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-21-19, 11:25 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Dawes_rider
So correct me if I'm wrong but it seems 68mm measurement would indicate English threads while 70mm measurement would indicate Italian threads?
Yes, in the case of your Scattante bottom bracket. Threaded bottom brackets converged on English (and very occasionally Italian) before oversize bottom bracket shells brought on a zillion new "standards".

If you want to see what we faced when I was learning to repair bikes (in the 1980's) consult the guru: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribshe...mbrackets.html . English, Italian, French, Swiss, Raleigh...

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 12-22-19, 08:17 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
So correct me if I'm wrong but it seems 68mm measurement would indicate english threads while 70mm measurment would indicate italian threads?
Shell width is an unreliable indicator of thread spec. While the OP's frame is likely English thread, some Japanese frames have 70mm shells and English thread. Conversely, a used frame may have been modified from original spec; a common fix for stripped bottom bracket threads in an English or metric thread (French or Swiss thread) frame was to ream the shell and tap Italian threads into the shell.

The best thing is to directly check: an Italian thread shell has wider inside diameter than an English or metric thread shell, so an English or metric bottom bracket cup will simply fall into the shell without engaging the threads. Metric bottom bracket threads are pretty much exclusively found on some European frames from the early 1980s or older, so if the frame is newer than that or non-European, you can eliminate metric thread. Otherwise, directly fitting a bottom bracket cup should reveal the thread type.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 12-22-19 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-22-19, 02:43 PM
justinschulz9

Bikes: diamondback century 1, cannondale synapse, giant talon, fuji absolute

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
"ItalianItalian bicycles are built to specific standards of threading and dimensions. Most parts on Italian-dimensioned bicycles are interchangeable with British/ISO dimensioned parts.The major exception is the bottom bracket. Italian bottom brackets are 70 mm wide, as opposed to the usual 68 mm dimension of British/ISO and French bottom brackets. The cup diameter is also larger. Sometimes, bicycles which have damaged bottom-bracket threads are machined out to Italian size to eliminate the damaged threads. Italian bottom brackets, like the French, use a right-hand thread on both sides, so the fixed cup is prone to loosening up unless very securely tightened or secured with threadlock compound." -sheldon brown
thought this was important. But it begs the question can you convert english bb into italian by re-threading the bb ? if so what tool would you use?
Old 12-22-19, 08:29 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
Originally Posted by justinschulz9
it begs the question can you convert english bb into italian by re-threading the bb ? if so what tool would you use?
Yes, you can. I've done it many times. Bicycle Research made a reamer/tap set that would ream out the existing threads (or what was left of them) so you could tap fresh Italian threads into the shell:

Old 12-22-19, 11:49 PM
Dawes_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So much great info! I think the major take away is to read this Sheldon brown guys write ups, it sounds like he's quite respected in the cycling community. After 2 days of crawling the web for manufactures spec I've decided to email performance bike customer service and ask for a spec sheet. Thanks again for all the help everyone
Old 12-23-19, 12:06 AM
Dawes_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would this crankset/bottombracket work with my frame? https ://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075DF6CBD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=ANJV6645IUNGA&psc=1

Youll have to remove the spaces I added in the link because it wont let me post links until after 10 posts.
Old 12-24-19, 11:18 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 373 Posts
Would this crankset/bottombracket work with my frame? https ://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075DF6CBD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=ANJV6645IUNGA&psc=1

Youll have to remove the spaces I added in the link because it wont let me post links until after 10 posts.
Here's the cranks you were looking at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075DF6CBD/

What you posted does not include a bottom bracket. On the other hand, yes, it will fit your frame if you buy a bottom bracket. A Shimano UN-55 will fit both your frame and those cranks.

Here's the Performance Bike listing for the frame:
https://www.performancebike.com/scat...-blk-p/p939795

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 12-25-19, 07:22 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Would this crankset/bottombracket work with my frame? https ://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075DF6CBD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=ANJV6645IUNGA&psc=1.
It'll fit your frame with the correct spindle length square taper bottom bracket. They don't really list the BB required. It'll kind of depend what you want/need your chainline to be depending on what you are building (fixed/SS/multigear) in back. As mentioned, a Shimano UN55 you can't go wrong with in the needed spindle length
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-25-19, 12:28 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
These are (were?) frames made in Taiwan as a house brand for Performance Bikes. As such, I can't imagine that they're anything but ISO/English.

The frame is a track frame, and so the chainline should be about 42mm IIRC. dedhed's (and Jeff Will's) comments above (the OP's crank of interest should work, the Shimano UN55 is an excellent "can't go wrong" BB choice) will be useful to the OP.