Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Running question - heel issue - no pain - but weird (new runner)

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-12, 12:39 PM
episodic

Bikes: Had a Surly Cross Check - was totaled in recent accident. Sadly now just a Fuji Crosstown as a backup bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I've been a biker for 3 years. I recently decided to start running. I'm at the end of the 'couch to 5k thing' and I've got a 5k down now in under 23 minutes.

I've been wearing barefoot shoes day and night (except on the bike) for years, so the the transition to running was easy. I've always been a big walker in these style of shoes. I wear 0 drop minimal footwear.

Since I've been running, I've developed a painless popping feeling in my heel. This is going on even when I stretch well, and do bi-weekly yoga and morning down dog asanas. As I weight my heel, there is some tendon that compresses and 'pops' as if it were sliding by something really quick. It is totally painless, and only slightly annoying when I walk (poppity, poppity, poppity). If I press on the bottom of my heel with my hand repeatedly, I can make it happen with my hand pressure applied against it. Also, it comes and goes. I figure it has something to do with my running.

I've googled it, and when you google popping and heel - you tend to get alot of achilles tendon rupture discussions, because most people 'burst' them with one big pop it seems. This can't be that as there is no pain and no loss of mobility. Doing burpees doesn't hurt, running doesn't hurt, etc.

Is this worth a copay to ask a doc about - or is this something best saved for when I have other things and tossed in as an accessory question. I'm a fairly broke dude, and I don't live anyplace with magical free health care sadly.

Anyone have anything similar?