Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

All About Nutrition

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-14, 03:17 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've made this recipe, to support TallWife's desire for morning toast, and it was well received. More of cornbread consistency than anything you'd pop in a toaster, but it tastes great, and she just warms it up and spreads butter on it.

https://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-bread/

But now she buys GF bread, that is still grain based. I haven't called in the Paleo cops - yet.
Old 03-08-14, 03:43 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wesley36
*shrug* I guess the environmental/ food security angle on veganism is/has been the most important to me. The thing is, I am coming around to seeing eggs and chickens as a part of the mix of a more sustainable and equitable food system. And also, good friends of the family have chickens and ducks which roam and forage freely on their farm (which is reasonably close), and they sometimes give us eggs, which I am cool with. Not sure I could go back to eating meat, dairy tears my system apart, but eggs I can live with. I also eat honey and <3 merino wool stuff, so I guess I should just give up the "vegan" label, even if it is still about 98% accurate.
fair enough…my reasons for being vegan are 50/50 health and moral. "Health" in terms of meat and dairy being what I believe highly carcinogenic. And the undeniable issue of animals being tortured for peoples' greed, gluttony and selfishness . We dont need to have a debate on the subject, my opinion wont change and Im not trying to change anyone else's.
Quite simply- eating meat and dairy is absolutely unnecessary. And Ive personally yet to have anything but remarkably positive results from my choice of (plant-based) food consumption. And needless to say there are, and always have been a variety successful vegan athletes.

If all farms were like your friends' (unlike today's 'animal factories') the world would be a better place.

Last edited by hammy56; 03-08-14 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-08-14, 05:12 PM
changes2008

Bikes: Campified Caad 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hammy56
Quite simply- eating meat and dairy is absolutely unnecessary.
No argument there, BUT... Creamer in coffee taste pretty effin' good...
Old 03-08-14, 05:57 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If you need creamer, you need better coffee
Old 07-15-14, 07:49 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I require nutrition help 33.

I basically have lived off frozen foods or sandwiches for as long as I can remember. I eat loads and loads of chips and saltines for carbs. I gotta step up my nutrition game though. My goal is to make all the food I'd need for the week in one day (like saturday) and then store it in the fridge for the rest of the week. Is that do-able?

Some basic carbs I like that could be the back bone:
- Mashed Potatoes
- Noodles
- Rice

I'll probably grab some chicken and beef to throw in for protein with those things.

I need some more ideas to go along with that. Probably need some veggies or fruits. I like plain bland food. I don't want to add spices or all the fanciness. I just need the food. Any other ideas or ways to combo those things? What say you 33?
Old 07-15-14, 08:40 AM
notwist

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creatre
I require nutrition help 33.

I basically have lived off frozen foods or sandwiches for as long as I can remember. I eat loads and loads of chips and saltines for carbs. I gotta step up my nutrition game though. My goal is to make all the food I'd need for the week in one day (like saturday) and then store it in the fridge for the rest of the week. Is that do-able?

Some basic carbs I like that could be the back bone:
- Mashed Potatoes
- Noodles
- Rice

I'll probably grab some chicken and beef to throw in for protein with those things.

I need some more ideas to go along with that. Probably need some veggies or fruits. I like plain bland food. I don't want to add spices or all the fanciness. I just need the food. Any other ideas or ways to combo those things? What say you 33?
You can try quinoa which is a great source of carbs and protein. I like to add veggies (kale, corn, bell pepper, avocado, etc.), black beans, and veggie stock for flavor. Plain quinoa is a bit too bland for me. I make enough to last me for a week's worth of lunch. Breakfast is usually oatmeal.
Old 07-15-14, 08:43 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quinoa is a bit of a stretch. Remember my starting point. I'm not going to be visiting Whole Foods every week. Just looking to slightly improve where I'm at.
Old 07-15-14, 09:24 AM
Gramercy

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have a Trader Joe's? They have flavored chicken breasts in a bag, all you do is cook it for 10 or 15 minutes. I like their pesto chicken, cook it in olive oil, cut it up, throw it in pasta with a veggie if you'd like, and you have 3 meals out of it. Last night i made a bunch of chicken legs, marinated in rosemary, garlic, olive oil and a lemon for an hour, then cooked them in the oven for an hour. Made some potatoes too. That's enough for 3 days too. Cooking is easy.
Old 07-15-14, 09:26 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
quinoa, farro, rice, barley, steel cut oats -- all can be made in a rice cooker in bulk and just portioned out over a week. easy, bland, healthy.

you can hydrate chia seeds and add them to whatever you're drinking for free carbs/fats
Old 07-15-14, 09:35 AM
Wesley36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever check out "The Feed Zone"? I have the portables book, there are a number of easy recipes. Lim and Thomas seem to have put together a number of reasonably easy recipes that are nutritionally sound.
Old 07-15-14, 09:37 AM
misterwaterfall

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would caution you for making food and keeping it to eat 5-6 days later. I usually do a 4 day rotation, and won't keep pre-made food longer than that.

Easy meals:
Premake brown rice in rice cooker(easy)
Cook/bake chicken breast
Combine brown rice/chicken in tupperware with some sort of veggie. I'll use broccoli or something like that. You can put it in raw, or use pre-cut frozen stuff. It'll steam while you reheat the food in the microwave, so you don't really need to precook it. Also, put some liquid amino's and siracha in there to flavor it up a bit.
Old 07-15-14, 10:13 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sweet potatoes, beets

both are easy to make and healthy, just throw in the oven at 350 for about one hour depending on size, they are done when you can easily pierce with a fork
Old 07-15-14, 03:11 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley36
Ever check out "The Feed Zone"? I have the portables book, there are a number of easy recipes. Lim and Thomas seem to have put together a number of reasonably easy recipes that are nutritionally sound.
This! Awesome cook book for everything from meals to training fuel. The recipes are simple (most have less than 10 ingredients).
Old 07-15-14, 03:21 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Make beans in a slow cooker. Soak the beans overnight, put them in the slow cooker and turn it on low before you leave for work, and they'll be done when you get home. I usually put an onion and a pound of turkey sausage in there. Cheap, healthy and good.

Demain, on roule!
Old 07-15-14, 04:10 PM
clones2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also do the soak beans, then slow cooker for the day in tomato puree. I add a tiny bit of honey and spices...but you could skip that.

Also new favorite - chuck roast and pineapple... just slow cook that with a little water.
Old 07-15-14, 04:54 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
There's a guy that was a 5 last year. He's been a good pupil, doing the clinics at Bethel, focusing on pedaling form, etc. He recently upgraded to 3 and started the break that won the Cat 3-4 race at the NY state RR in the area recently.

I saw him at New Britain Sunday. Holy smokes is he cut. Inspiring. He's losing weight steadily, training of course, but focusing on some diet stuff. Motivating me, although I have to get through the stuff in the house first.

He said that he has a salad with lean meat for dinner, yogurt and fruit for lunch. I'm going to pick his brain a bit more. It's not radical, just steady/consistent.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 07-15-14, 08:19 PM
jmikami

Bikes: Veloforma for my primary.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creatre
Quinoa is a bit of a stretch. Remember my starting point. I'm not going to be visiting Whole Foods every week. Just looking to slightly improve where I'm at.
I live off a combination of cereal for breakfast and then chili and rice or chili and pasta for pretty much the entire decade of the 90s. Going out to taco bell was my stretch night, add in a lot of cheese and bread and I don't think I really ate anything else.

I have the family now, so that whole cook for everyone rotation and stuff, but I loved the simple 90s.
Old 07-31-14, 04:56 PM
metomeya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thought this might be interesting for some of you guys:
100 Scientific Reasons to NOT Eat Meat
Old 08-27-14, 09:05 PM
newjunior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tryna find a pdf of Feed Zone Portables because I graduated from being a broke high school student to a broke-er college student.
Old 08-28-14, 08:59 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by newjunior
tryna find a pdf of Feed Zone Portables because I graduated from being a broke high school student to a broke-er college student.
save yourself the $. the hype around those stupid cook books baffles me.

how to eat on a budget in college: rice, oatmeal, eggs, beans, peanut butter, bananas, potatoes, broccoli.
Old 08-28-14, 09:24 AM
Owen21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When youre short on time, whats your go to food? Not just a protein shake or something, but a quick nice meal. If it could be packed up, then even better for work!!
Old 08-28-14, 09:42 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Owen21
When youre short on time, whats your go to food? Not just a protein shake or something, but a quick nice meal. If it could be packed up, then even better for work!!
cook a bunch of rice and hard boiled eggs at the beginning of the week - microwave some broccoli, combine.
Old 08-28-14, 10:08 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
risotto; once you learn how to do it, it'll be ready in 40 minutes tops. I start watching an episode of the Wire the same time i started chopping veggies, and 35 minutes later, i got to sit down and spend the next 25 minutes watching the remainder of the episode. 6 days worth of food in essentially 40 minutes; not a bad trade-off.

Granted, if you want meat in your food, you'd have to cook that in advance, but i boil chicken thigh ahead of time, and the 35 minutes include chopping up the protein.

not restaurant quality, but beats any frozen dinner. The actual risotto i serve others takes about 50 minutes to prepare; better than some of the mid-level restaurant stuff according to a few friends.

Last edited by echappist; 08-28-14 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-28-14, 10:41 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
take out/delivery.

thai, preferably.

my race videos
Old 08-28-14, 11:35 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Pasta with ground beef, pasta with tuna, pasta with veggies and red sauce, pasta with veggies and white sauce, or pasta.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.